Ancient papyrus appear to suggest that Jesus had a wife

13»

Comments

• DetectiveBeaDetectiveBea Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    "An ancient scrap of papyrus makes explicit reference to Jesus having a wife, according to a renowned expert in Christian history.

Harvard divinity professor Karen King unveiled the 4th-Century Coptic script at a conference in Rome.

She said researchers had identified the words "Jesus said to them, 'my wife'", which might refer to Mary Magdalene.

Christian tradition holds that Jesus did not marry - but Ms King said in early years it was subject to debate.

The provocative find could spark debate over celibacy and the role of women within Christianity, she added"

"According to Ms King's research team, the text also quotes Jesus as telling his followers that Mary Magdalene is worthy of being his disciple.

This, in turn, casts new doubt on the long-held belief that Jesus had no female disciples, and raises issues about Mary's biblical role as a sinner, the researchers said."

Don't really know what I make of it - I'm not religious at all, and it looks like there are doubts about how authentic or reliable it is. Does anyone believe it? And is it important or a bit of a so what?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19645273

If church leaders were not meant to marry then why all the hidden trouble in side the church of sexual abuse? IMO it just turned the church into a place to hide.

In fact, isn't there a scripture that says something like, "If you feel moved to marry then you MUST." I don't think in scripture there was really a ban on it. And truthfully..., I don't think Jesus even spoke against marriage. He just told his disciple to leave their families and follow him. That was probably IMO because he knew he had a lot to get done in a short time. It was some of the apostles IMO that after Jesus' death pronounced celibacy and non-marriage in order to lead the church. And those were only branches.

Even the disciples couldn't agree and that is why they had so many factions branching off.
  • rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a stupid thing to say that not being allowed to marry causes childabuse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rose-wh wrote: »
    what a stupid thing to say that not being allowed to marry causes childabuse

I think you are jumping to conclusions. I said it created a place to hide. Reread my post. And I notice that you didn't take the time to comment on anything else I had to say...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are jumping to conclusions. I said it created a place to hide. Reread my post. And I notice that you didn't take the time to comment on anything else I had to say...
    i read your post and the entirity was crap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i read your post and the entirity was crap

LOL You do have a way with words.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    "An ancient scrap of papyrus makes explicit reference to Jesus having a wife, according to a renowned expert in Christian history.

Harvard divinity professor Karen King unveiled the 4th-Century Coptic script at a conference in Rome.

She said researchers had identified the words "Jesus said to them, 'my wife'", which might refer to Mary Magdalene.

Christian tradition holds that Jesus did not marry - but Ms King said in early years it was subject to debate.

The provocative find could spark debate over celibacy and the role of women within Christianity, she added"

"According to Ms King's research team, the text also quotes Jesus as telling his followers that Mary Magdalene is worthy of being his disciple.

This, in turn, casts new doubt on the long-held belief that Jesus had no female disciples, and raises issues about Mary's biblical role as a sinner, the researchers said."

Don't really know what I make of it - I'm not religious at all, and it looks like there are doubts about how authentic or reliable it is. Does anyone believe it? And is it important or a bit of a so what?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19645273

I read something similar years back, about him having a wife. interesting link thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL You do have a way with words.:rolleyes:

i normally post as i find, now, reading back on yours you may have a point though not sure its true but connecting celibacy with childsex abuse is out of order
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Apparently he said something about Mary M being a disciple - when it was always assumed before that only men were disciples - hence men being considered more important tra la la etc
    The other way around, I suspect. Men were assumed to be more important, and the stories were shaped to reflect that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i normally post as i find, now, reading back on yours you may have a point though not sure its true but connecting celibacy with childsex abuse is out of order

Well I'm sorry because I surely didn't mean that. I just meant that celibacy shouldn't be enforced to lead a church. I think it is more of a call of God to lead a church. If anything I meant that it might lead the confused as to their sexuality to the church. Like maybe they were told that their sexuality was wrong and a sin so they repressed it and went to the church. (Oh and I was not simply referring to child abuse. Many women have been abused by church leaders.)

Also I was saying that I didn't believe scripture really backed up the celibacy requirement. At least I didn't think Jesus said it.

Sorry my post wasn't clear. I meant no offense. I think the problems of sexual abuse in the church are bigger than I to figure out. I am sorry.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    I knew this stuff about Jesus having a wife already. If you read the unexpurgated Sermon On The Mount, Jesus tells several mother-in-law jokes as a warm-up.