3rd Class degree

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
Forum Member
✭✭
anyone here got a third for their degree?

if you got a third would it mean doing your degree was a waste of time?

incase anyones wondering i'm not going to get a third, im borderlind 2:1-2:2

my mate got a third and they let him do his teaching degree afterwards even though you need a 2:2 to do your PGCE

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    probably not worth the paper it's written on..........

A degree now is about the equivalent of O levels when I was at school................I suppose a 'third' might equate to a GCSE.

Obviously I only mean people doing a degree in David Beckham or Coronation Street and not people doing hard sums.

:cool:
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote:
    probably not worth the paper it's written on..........

A degree now is about the equivalent of O levels when I was at school................I suppose a 'third' might equate to a GCSE.

Obviously I only mean people doing a degree in David Beckham or Coronation Street and not people doing hard sums.

:cool:
    Bit harsh :eek: . And anyway, I am sure that doing a degree on David Beckham would involve hard sums - I doubt I could count high enough to work out his annual income :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That Bloke wrote:
    Bit harsh :eek: . And anyway, I am sure that doing a degree on David Beckham would involve hard sums - I doubt I could count high enough to work out his annual income :D

Good point...........I hadn't thought of that

:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I was told by university lecturers, that anyone who holds a HND with Distinction profile has something which is worth far more than a 3rd Class degree.. I'm glad i've got one.

If you've got a first with honours.. then absolutely fine.. also the place were you got your degree seems to count for a lot these days.. sadly. establishmentism still goes on..

Regards,
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ex-gf has a Third Class Degree, but it's in Maths from Cambridge which I suppose means it is a slightly better Third to have... but it was thoroughly deserved, she just didn't work for it.

She kept the job she had lined up for after university (despite not getting the 2:1 they wanted her to get or the 2:2 she had got for her first two years) but they kept her waiting around a while before they told her they would keep her on (here endeth my knowledge of this story, as I don't speak to her anymore!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    thanks for that small insight into your ex-g/f.. any other interesting bits about her - feel free to put it in a new thread.. :D

Regards,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The story was relevant to the original poster's question about Third Class Degrees :rolleyes:

Regards,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion a degree (unless vocational) is only useful for the first few years after getting out of university and then just helps open doors into lower management/ professional type roles (and which uni/subject it was can hold almost as much sway as the level itself).

Once you have "proper" work experience that becomes much more important than your education. For my department at work we put the fact a person must have a degree for a "junior" level or an MBA/ qualified accountant type post graduate qualification for a senior level. In addition to that we also ask for 3-10 years of relevant experience (depending on level). I have never seen a single application form that has been turned down when they have applied without holding the requested education as long as they have the experience and even those with the qualifactions only ever get asked about work experience and asked to do a case study in the interview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    According to this article a degree (of any kind) counts for less on job market. But its not just your degree class you should take into account.

'Other factors likely to lead to employment in non-graduate jobs were low A-level grades, poor degree grades, degrees in non-vocational subjects and being female'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/28/ndeg28.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/28/ixhome.html
  • ThanhukThanhuk Posts: 8,433
    Forum Member
    Would you say that taking Geography was a hard or soft subject?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Thanhuk wrote:
    Would you say that taking Geography was a hard or soft subject?

I think Geography would be a reasonably hard degree. Lots of maths and science involved.

The best degree to have, of course, is an Archbishop ;)

Guess who failed to scrape their 2:1 at Warwick :D

(my advise is never turn up to a viva seriously hung-over!)
  • rogtogrogtog Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A third class degree will tell any prospective employer that the applicant is a bit stupid. It would probably be a good idea for anyone with a third to omit the classification from their CV and only offer the information if asked.

Of course, degree classification alone doesn't reaveal everything about a person: the institution/awarding body should also be taken into account.
    • A third from a redbrick: thick but posh
    • A third from a former poly or a 'HE College': thick pleb
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carol Vorderman got a Third. So there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    If I got a 3rd I'd do an entirely new degree!!

I'd be disappointed with less than a 2.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emzi wrote:
    Carol Vorderman got a Third. So there.

It was from Cambridge though and it was a few years back. These days it wouldn't go down too well.
  • IndoIndo Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rogtog wrote: »
    A third class degree will tell any prospective employer that the applicant is a bit stupid. It would probably be a good idea for anyone with a third to omit the classification from their CV and only offer the information if asked.

Of course, degree classification alone doesn't reaveal everything about a person: the institution/awarding body should also be taken into account.
    • A third from a redbrick: thick but posh
    • A third from a former poly or a 'HE College': thick pleb

I googled "degree third class" and it came up with this thread. I post sometimes on digitalspy forums but this thread interested me (even if I am replying a few years late). I have to laugh at rogtog and his great belief that anyone wiith a 3rd class degree is doomed unless they came from a top Uni. A load of nonense! I myself graduated with a 3rd class degree in a so-called top Uni (which I hate today) many years ago and at that time thought myself doomed. In the world of work today no one cares of your 1st class honors but simply want to know if you get along with people and know the job.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So to sum it up, you get a 3rd if you attend the lectures and finish the course:)
    Forum Member
    I seen that I replied to this thread, and thought to myself "I can't remember typing that", then realise it's old.

I graduated the year after this thread was created, eeek. How time flies. I am getting old :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seen that I replied to this thread, and thought to myself "I can't remember typing that", then realise it's old.

I graduated the year after this thread was created, eeek. How time flies. I am getting old :(

I replied as well...........we're still here carmen !

:eek:

Since i replied to the thread originally people have gone to University and got third class degrees.

If they'd worked harder or were brighter, they coul be doing post-grad now.............:cool::p
  • gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems very strange to bring up a four year old thread...

However, a third, from any Uni (yes, even the apparently 'precocious' Oxbridge...) is pretty much useless. Unless under exceptional circumstances, i.e. you know the right people to get a job/further training, it isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Basically if you get a third class degree you've not worked hard enough. You've understood less than half the work covered. You're scraped a degree.
    Forum Member
    They could have done a masters and be on a PhD now... possibly even completed that. It's been 4 years!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could have done a masters and be on a PhD now... possibly even completed that. It's been 4 years!

Yeah............they could be on the dole now.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

With a third class degree?! :rolleyes:

Look who hasn't been to Uni.
    Forum Member
    They probably got a 3rd and are on the dole or trying to infiltrate the studios of Countdown in desperation for a job which accepts that they got a 3rd :p
    gemchicken wrote: »
    ^^^

With a third class degree?! :rolleyes:

Look who hasn't been to Uni.

Degrees are either first class, second class or third class, with second class having "upper" and "lower" (2:1 and 2:2).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Degrees are either first class, second class or third class, with second class having "upper" and "lower" (2:1 and 2:2).

I'm aware of that.

I was replying to:

It seems a little silly to suggest that someone with a third would get a place on a PhD, or even a good postgrad course. Hence the :rolleyes: ...