Has Kiss 101 (Somerset) increased it's signal strength towards the East?

max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I notice the signal seems much stronger in this direction then it did say a few years ago, has anything been changed e.g their antenna system etc??

Comments

• gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it may have. I drove from Colchester to Bristol last Friday and managed to listen to Kiss nearly all the way with the exception on the stretch on the M4 between Reading and just east of Swindon where 100 and 101 merged and bit of Classic FM cropped up!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwrbristol wrote: »
    I think it may have. I drove from Colchester to Bristol last Friday and managed to listen to Kiss nearly all the way with the exception on the stretch on the M4 between Reading and just east of Swindon where 100 and 101 merged and bit of Classic FM cropped up!

I know the East Service starts braking up just before Luton.
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    Maybe Kiss 100 or Kiss 101 could do with a fill in transmitter on that part of the M4?
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Kiss 100 or Kiss 101 could do with a fill in transmitter on that part of the M4?

A new transmitter covering Bedford, Milton Keynes and Oxford would be nice! :)

But never going to happen :(

The Mendip transmitter for Galaxy/Vibe/Kiss on 101.0 is a massive 40kW beamed West towards South Wales. The signal to the East used to reach as far as Oxford on a decent radio. If it were omni-directional, it would just overlap with Kiss East Anglia on 106.4 which is actually beamed West towards Bury St Edmunds and re-received in Cambridge for the 105.6 relay.
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's way outside the area of both, so no.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwrbristol wrote: »

Yes it would, Wrotham 100.9, and also the Swindon relay on 100.8.

I suspect nothing has changed at the Tx, it's just the recent lift conditions, I've been getting Freeview TV from Mendip on and off for the last couple of weeks here in Basingstoke.

The Mendip 101.0 service has to maintain a null eastwards, to protect Classic FM Wrotham.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Yes it would, Wrotham 100.9, and also the Swindon relay on 100.8.

The Mendip 101.0 service has to maintain a null eastwards, to protect Classic FM Wrotham.

To protect Wrotham on 100.9 which is 250kW! :rolleyes:

The Wrotham coverage isn't supposed to get past Reading anyway, or else why have local relays? I don't know why they don't just take off the null at Mendip for 101.0 and extend coverage to Swindon and other parts of Wiltshire. Wrotham doesn't need protecting at it's current power!
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found that North Hessary Tor on 100.0 make a mess of Kiss south of the M25 around Gatwick.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Sutton Coldfield 100.1 go far enough to mess about with Kiss London?
  • overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max_db wrote: »
    I notice the signal seems much stronger in this direction then it did say a few years ago, has anything been changed e.g their antenna system etc??

Perhaps they are taking the lead set by TotalStar Somerset?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powerplay wrote: »
    To protect Wrotham on 100.9 which is 250kW! :rolleyes:

The Wrotham coverage isn't supposed to get past Reading anyway, or else why have local relays? I don't know why they don't just take off the null at Mendip for 101.0 and extend coverage to Swindon and other parts of Wiltshire. Wrotham doesn't need protecting at it's current power!

Only the Beeb have a cluster of relays on the western edge of Wrotham's service area, all Classic FM have is Reading-Hemdean, and that's it.

Here in Basingstoke it's a rather poor toss up between Wrotham, Rowridge, and Oxford for Classic FM, Oxford has the edge, but many FM yagis are looking at Wrotham/London. Judging by the strength of BBC Somerset here, I'd say that Kiss at full whack might cause problems.
  • WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, according to another poster on this forum when I was asking a similar question about the Kiss 101 Mendip TX a few years ago, running Mendip at 40kW omnidirectional would cause significant intereference problems for Classic FM from Wrotham throughout much of the South East.

They claimed that, according to a coverage prediciton map from software they used, the interference would occur as far afield from Mendip as Harrow and possibly other high-lying areas of West London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the Beeb have a cluster of relays on the western edge of Wrotham's service area, all Classic FM have is Reading-Hemdean, and that's it.

Here in Basingstoke it's a rather poor toss up between Wrotham, Rowridge, and Oxford for Classic FM, Oxford has the edge, but many FM yagis are looking at Wrotham/London. Judging by the strength of BBC Somerset here, I'd say that Kiss at full whack might cause problems.
    Willum wrote: »
    Apparently, according to another poster on this forum when I was asking a similar question about the Kiss 101 Mendip TX a few years ago, running Mendip at 40kW omnidirectional would cause significant intereference problems for Classic FM from Wrotham throughout much of the South East.

They claimed that, according to a coverage prediciton map from software they used, the interference would occur as far afield from Mendip as Harrow and possibly other high-lying areas of West London.

How is that really possible though, when if Wrotham was switched off you'd only hear Kiss 101 fading in & out anyway under flat conditions, with a stereo signal on high ground but weak. Yet Wrotham blasts out 250kW across the South East and knocks Kiss 101 East of Swindon!

You cannot compare the 95.5 signal with that of 101.0, as 95.5 is omni. If 101.0 was onmi, the power would be significantly reduced, which would ruin reception in Cardiff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You cannot compare the 95.5 signal with that of 101.0, as 95.5 is omni. If 101.0 was onmi, the power would be significantly reduced, which would ruin reception in Cardiff.

I'm confused what you're advocating, Kiss at 40kW omni, or 9kW omni ?
    BTW Somerset 95.5 is not omni either, the northward beam was (apparently) removed when it was reallocated from BBC Bristol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW Somerset 95.5 is not omni either, the northward beam was (apparently) removed when it was reallocated from BBC Bristol.

Interesting, I remember people saying about the signal should be improved on 95.5 in parts of Somerset back in 2006/7 when 95.5 became BBC Somerset, but Yeovil is still a black spot!

Going back to Galaxy, thinking about it, I don't know why Mendip was chosen for 101.0 with such high power and a tight Westerly beam, which are expensive antennas. Surely Wenvoe would have been more suitable at half the power, which would still be solid in Somerset, Bristol and of course South Wales.
  • gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, I remember people saying about the signal should be improved on 95.5 in parts of Somerset back in 2006/7 when 95.5 became BBC Somerset, but Yeovil is still a black spot!

Going back to Galaxy, thinking about it, I don't know why Mendip was chosen for 101.0 with such high power and a tight Westerly beam, which are expensive antennas. Surely Wenvoe would have been more suitable at half the power, which would still be solid in Somerset, Bristol and of course South Wales.

Yeovil has always been a black spot for radio. I can't see how 99.5 was ever going to make reception in the town any better as it was simply Radio Bristol before the move to BBC Somerset. The AM reception is not much better!

If you live in Swindon BBC Somerset hs really good reception! Handy that.

Is really is time Kiss, BBC Somerset and the national DAB networks were available in the town with a reliable reception.
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    When Galaxy 101 startted their tests, the 101 signal was receivable down in Llanelli (I remember listening to the news jingles on it - 'from the mighty mendip transmitter on 1 0 1 FM')

Signal seems a little weaker now (no idea why!)

I beleive that Swansea is in its official coverage area but not Llanelli
  • countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I get BBC Somerset loud and clear around Gloucester in the car, and going a bit north on the M5.
  • WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wenvoe would be even worse in Yeovil, Eastern areas of Somerset, would struggle in parts of Bristol, would probably not hit Bath at all, and probably wouldn't be as good for as much of Wiltshire as Mendip is.

Mendip, despite only sending as little as 400W in that direction, still hits Devizes. I'm not sure Wenvoe could.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    max_db wrote: »

No, nothing's changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wenvoe would be even worse in Yeovil, Eastern areas of Somerset, would struggle in parts of Bristol, would probably not hit Bath at all, and probably wouldn't be as good for as much of Wiltshire as Mendip is.

Mendip, despite only sending as little as 400W in that direction, still hits Devizes. I'm not sure Wenvoe could.

Orchard FM/Heart Somerset have FM relays for Yeovil and Taunton, surprised Galaxy/Vibe/Kiss 101.0 never did due to the hills.
  • smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is that really possible though, when if Wrotham was switched off you'd only hear Kiss 101 fading in & out anyway under flat conditions, with a stereo signal on high ground but weak. Yet Wrotham blasts out 250kW across the South East and knocks Kiss 101 East of Swindon!
    This is because on FM you don't just need to have the stronger signal for reliable stereo coverage - you need to have the stronger signal by a factor of three (by 30dB or 33dB, depending on whose figures you use).

Kiss 101's aerials are near the top of a gigantic mast on one of the largest hills in southern England. While a bit more than 400W might well be possible, 40kW would probably cause a few complaints...
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Does Sutton Coldfield 100.1 go far enough to mess about with Kiss London?

Nope.
  • houseofcackhouseofcack Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Conversley, given the slightest hint of a lift Kiss 100 used to be easily received in the West Midlands in the days before Classic FM.

(And if there wasn't a pirate on 100, which there often was!)
  • Simon BlakeSimon Blake Posts: 77
    Forum Member

When the Radio Authority issued the licence to broadcast to Waltes and the West to Galaxy, it specified Mendip as the transmitter site. The station lobbied the Radio Authority for permissioin to also broadcast from Wenvoe, but that request was turned down.

The idea behind the request was to match HTV's broadcast split and broadcast separate commercials in England and Wales. Whether it would have led to separate programmes for England and Wales I doubt.

Simon