Options

Somerset DAB

Comments

• Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picking it up in Caerphilly (on 10B): signal 40%

Edit 2: Labels are MuxCo 1, MuxCo 2, MuxCo 3, Muxco 4.
    PTY's of 1 & 2 are Pop Music, 3 is Easy Listening, 4 is Varied Speech.
  • Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob_Online wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, however the Muxco website has been updated with a list of stations at launch in September -

Heart
    Capital
    Smooth
    BBC Somerset

So, out of all of those, from what I'm able to receive, the only real addition is BBC Somerset, all the others (Although different regions) are available on the South Wales mux which is strong across Somerset as it's broadcast from Mendip as well.
    I wonder if Somerset will get the South Wales version of Capital or the London one. Or does Capital have a generic national feed for DAB multiplexes away from London?

Also, I don't know how widely the coverage of the South Wales multiplex is available in Somerset, despite its use of Mendip. It may be very directional from that site, to the north west. I gather Kiss's FM transmitter there is configured in a similar fashion.

So it's possible that despite two multiplexes now relaying Capital, and sharing the same site, their transmitter parameters may be different thus meaning that it's only those who are fairly close to Mendip who will get two Capitals.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    I believe Somerset will get the generic, national version.
    With London shows and national ads or something like that.
  • Options
    Rob_OnlineRob_Online Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willum wrote: »
    I wonder if Somerset will get the South Wales version of Capital or the London one. Or does Capital have a generic national feed for DAB multiplexes away from London?

Also, I don't know how widely the coverage of the South Wales multiplex is available in Somerset, despite its use of Mendip. It may be very directional from that site, to the north west. I gather Kiss's FM transmitter there is configured in a similar fashion.

So it's possible that despite two multiplexes now relaying Capital, and sharing the same site, their transmitter parameters may be different thus meaning that it's only those who are fairly close to Mendip who will get two Capitals.

The South Wales mux comes in with full signal here in Bridgwater, although I'm in a higher location and get near line-of-sigh to Mendip
  • Options
    skandiaskandia Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Looks like Taunton & Hutton transmitters are testing, Mendip joins in next week:

http://www.muxco.com/blog/2014/09/12/somerset-launch-preparations/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MuxCo 4 (BBC Somerset) now has working Scrolling text, with now and next info, weather / travel /news info, similar to BBC Bristol.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    ah - Mendip not on yet - that explains why I'm not getting good signal ... I must be picking up the one of the other two
  • Options
    andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the signal in Cheddar
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skandia wrote: »
    Looks like Taunton & Hutton transmitters are testing, Mendip joins in next week:

http://www.muxco.com/blog/2014/09/12/somerset-launch-preparations/

That explains why I am not seeing anything on 10B on my two portable DAB radios. But on the car DAB radio it is showing up MUX Co Somerset but no service. Perhaps its just picking up the weak signal from the Hutton transmitter but unable to decode the programme information.
    I suppose the delay is down to the setting up the higher powered transmitter and fitting of new aerials high up on the Mendip Mast
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, nothing here on the indoor portable here. Everything else DAB is from Mendip, so Somerset has not yet been switched on at this site.

I wonder how far up the mast they'll site the aerials; TV's now right up at the top (with DSO, the old analogue aerials and fibreglass shroud got swapped with a new digital array). What would appear to be Kiss' FM aerials are immediately below that.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, nothing here on the indoor portable here. Everything else DAB is from Mendip, so Somerset has not yet been switched on at this site.

I wonder how far up the mast they'll site the aerials; TV's now right up at the top (with DSO, the old analogue aerials and fibreglass shroud got swapped with a new digital array). What would appear to be Kiss' FM aerials are immediately below that.
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/mendip/mendip10.php
    From these photos looks like the 3 DAB antennas which make a omni directional array sharing the BBC, D1 and Cardiff muxes are below the reserve UHF and main BBC Somerset VHF antennas.

So the Somerset mux must have a new directional DAB antenna unless the existing array can be made directional for on mux?.

As more new DAB relays arrive in Wales the Cardiff mux might be eventually be switched off on Mendip?

From the Muxco blog switch on is Friday 26th September at around 8.30am and from Allan Lake's twitter Triple hits starts Oct 1st?
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/09/somerset-dab-to-carry-new-music-station/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Now South Wales Mendip transmitter just the MXR Wales & West one which was appropriated by Now South Wales to improve their coverage after MXR Wales & West was switched off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »

Massive signal improvement from today - I'm now getting a solid 85%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they've switched on Mendip.

I'll test on the kitchen portable when I get home. In there, for DAB, I think we can only get DAB from Mendip and nothing else.
  • Options
    Rob_OnlineRob_Online Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mendip is definitely on now, full signal here and Tests 1 - 4
  • Options
    skandiaskandia Posts: 203
    Forum Member

Edit 2: Labels are MuxCo 1, MuxCo 2, MuxCo 3, Muxco 4.
    PTY's of 1 & 2 are Pop Music, 3 is Easy Listening, 4 is Varied Speech.

My radio reports the same PTY's apart from Muxco 4 which states Talk.

I see the Bit Rates are Muxco 1 = 112 kbps stereo, Muxco 2 = 96 kbps mono,
    Muxco 3 = 112 kbps stereo & Muxco 4 = 128 kbps stereo.

The mono startion stands out at 96 kbps, only 16 kbps lower than the 112 kbps stereo stations!

My assumptions are Muxco 1 = Heart, Muxco 2 = Capital, Muxco 3 = Smooth & Muxco 4 = BBC Somerset.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the signal on 10B from Mendip but it's unreadable with only 2-3 bars as compared to SE Wales which puts a good signal in here.
    I think Somerset is on a much tighter beam from Mendip away from Bristol towards the southwest whilst SE Wales is beamed NNW up the Severn Estuary to areas not covered well by Wenvoe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, MuxCo has now appeared here.

As I'm so close to Mendip I probably won't notice much of a difference in signal strength and quality between MuxCO and the other multiplexes from the same site.
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what's been said on this thread, there are plans to provide a transmitter for the Yeovil area, but sadly at some undetermined time in the future.
    Is there anyone out there who can let us know if any signal is creeping into Yeovil (and also what about Chard and Crewkerne)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My expectation is that any DAB from Mendip overshoots central Yeovil altogether due to the local geography. FM from the same site certainly doesn't fare very well at all.

However, the northern, higher-lying outskirts of the town should get good reception, as is the case with FM.

The contrasts in different parts of the town really can be that big!
  • Options
    darrenmcfcdarrenmcfc Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Received it on my car radio on 10B in Tenby. Today. Decent sea path I guess but was surprised to see it
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My expectation is that any DAB from Mendip overshoots central Yeovil altogether due to the local geography. FM from the same site certainly doesn't fare very well at all.

However, the northern, higher-lying outskirts of the town should get good reception, as is the case with FM.

The contrasts in different parts of the town really can be that big!

Yes - that's what I would expect. Where my in-laws are many have to use Stockland Hill for TV, due to the poor quality from Mendip - which seems stronger around the New Huish Park, and the new estates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Receiving a very weak signal here in watchet only just stable on my roberts was hopeing for a good dab signal for bbc somerset as fm signal is rubbish around here get a stronger signal on the south east wales mux than somerset one
  • Options
    darrenmcfcdarrenmcfc Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Received it on my car radio on 10B in Tenby. Today. Decent sea path I guess but was surprised to see it

Four services were independently testing. Muxco1 - 4

Photo Here
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought my DAB set upstairs and can pick up the Somerset MUX with no problem here on Portland.