Options

ITV News Channel to close??

gwiddecombegwiddecombe Posts: 878
Forum Member
✭✭
Source: http://media.guardian.co.uk

TV News Channel staff's worst fears about their future appeared to have been realised yesterday after a secret document outlining a contingency plan for the "imminent closure" of the service was left on a printer.

Comments

• Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

TV News Channel staff's worst fears about their future appeared to have been realised yesterday after a secret document outlining a contingency plan for the "imminent closure" of the service was left on a printer.

Oh dear shouldnt leave things lying around
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear....that's abit of a blow :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could be a hoax.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a docement left around , makes me wonder.

Could this be anything to do with ITV tactics. After all they said a long time ago that if they were not allowed to own ITV outright they would pull out completely. This could be a tactic in speeding this up. Letting ITN's other shareholders know they mean business. ITV are ITN's biggest customer for news, without them it is questionable how long ITN would survive.
  • Options
    speculatorspeculator Posts: 2,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not surprised. ITV News report that they get their best viewing figures on DTT. Currently the station is place-sitting for the CiTV Channel which is expected on February 11th. As ITV have withdrawn their interest in the new NGW slot, ITV News won't have a home on DTT. The only other option is if TopUp TV folds & RTL makes a slot available (ITV is the landlord on Mux A :D ).
    If ITV News is not available on DTT, I can't see if surviving on the other digital platforms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men and Motor may not in the long term be viable either, as it's audience is similar to that of ITV4, that would free up a space.
  • Options
    skyisthebestskyisthebest Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres always a chance that ITV could get the new slot on Mux C that will be available in 2006.

But Channel 4 might want the new slot on Mux C for More 4 +1 (as E4 +1 is already on Mux C).

Five looks most likely to get the new slot on Mux D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    ITV News Channel staff's worst fears about their future appeared to have been realised yesterday after a secret document outlining a contingency plan for the "imminent closure" of the service was left on a printer.

While I don't wish any harm on the staff involved, this is hardly a surprise, the ITN new channel is "the duffer" out of the news channels available, in particular it has treated freeviewers shabbily (erratic broadcast slots, removed during mux engineering, having time stolen for setanta/itv4)

It seems you'll have to buy a local rag if you want to get feel good stories about firemen rescuing moggies in Lower Hepthwaite :-)
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "From 6pm to 6am, the channel has been replaced by Men and Motors."

Not exactly accurate reporting, but it shows that hardly anyone knows ITV4 exists. It's not being cross-promoted anything like as much as ITV2 and ITV3 and several newspapers have not yet acknowledged it even exists in their listings wheras they have included ITV3 and More4 from their inception.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

One of the problems of the Network Printer... Choose the wrong one and you don't have a clue where in the office (or company building) the damned thing has gone.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote:
    Such a docement left around , makes me wonder.

Could this be anything to do with ITV tactics. After all they said a long time ago that if they were not allowed to own ITV outright they would pull out completely. This could be a tactic in speeding this up. Letting ITN's other shareholders know they mean business. ITV are ITN's biggest customer for news, without them it is questionable how long ITN would survive.

Fact mirroring fiction, a similar tactic was used in an episode of Drop the Dead Donkey, where a memo on a photocopier was found threatening job losses
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopefully it goes, and we get a movies channel from FIVE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    marbles316marbles316 Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. It'll be a loss in terms of the range of news available. A national platform with 3 24 hour news channels from different sources is a GOOD THING. Pity Itv couldn't keep it ticking over until more space becomes available - and it will, come switch off and 64qam changes, and the contracts coming up on the itv owned mux, it is surely only a matter of time..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its closure was on the cards for a while now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS has picked up on this now quoting the Media Guardian article: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26451.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member

Isnt ITN news` and Euro News the same company, If so no mention of that folding. Just sounds like a managment ploy to get just one News channel and cut costs on all platforms not just DTT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivrm wrote:
    Isnt ITN news` and Euro News the same company, If so no mention of that folding. Just sounds like a managment ploy to get just one News channel and cut costs on all platforms not just DTT
    According to this artcle: http://www.euronews.net/feedback/en/1Channel.pdf

there are no connections with UK broadcasters...but I could be wrong...I can't find any mention of ITN in my short search
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    According to this artcle: http://www.euronews.net/feedback/en/1Channel.pdf

there are no connections with UK broadcasters...but I could be wrong...I can't find any mention of ITN in my short search

Look at page 3 of that PDF, ITV is a share holder. from memory an artical about 12months back stated that ITN news was part and parcel of the Euronews, but cannot locate the artical at present will post link when I find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivrm wrote:
    Look at page 3 of that PDF, ITV is a share holder. from memory an artical about 12months back stated that ITN news was part and parcel of the Euronews, but cannot locate the artical at present will post link when I find it.
    but that doesn't look like any logo that ITV in this country have ever used....unless I've missed something over the last 35 years

Edit: Although I have found this to support your comment
    ITN also controls the European news channel EuroNews which broadcasts in six languages, reaching nearly 100 million people.
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/648324.stm
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might start up ITV News again when ITV get more room at swithover. Is it 2010 when ITV get mux a for their own uses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might start up ITV News again when ITV get more room at swithover. Is it 2010 when ITV get mux a for their own uses.
    Nope - other channels contracts for MUX 1 might run out and so ITV would have two half MUXs but it's 4 that talk is of giving another MUX.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fives part of muxa runs out in 2010 (ITV most likely get it)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote:
    "From 6pm to 6am, the channel has been replaced by Men and Motors."

Not exactly accurate reporting, but it shows that hardly anyone knows ITV4 exists. It's not being cross-promoted anything like as much as ITV2 and ITV3 and several newspapers have not yet acknowledged it even exists in their listings wheras they have included ITV3 and More4 from their inception.

I had to read that twice... There's an ITV4? I clearly haven't been reading DS enough as I missed that one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If ITV close down their News Channel then they cannot be considered a serious national broadcaster to rank with the BBC and Sky. It will also be a shame because I like their style. They are often quicker with stories and offer a wider range of news than the BBC without being as brash and 'in-yer-face' as Sky.