Comments

• brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Buying the first version is madness.

Hold your fire until v2 and iPhone 6s

Sept/Oct
    Personally I'd be most interested in using it for Apple Pay, so I'd wait until that was launched in the UK. And then wait a bit more to see how well it worked.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Personally I'd be most interested in using it for Apple Pay, so I'd wait until that was launched in the UK. And then wait a bit more to see how well it worked.

Playing music using wireless ear buds while I'm out and about without the need to have my iPhone with me would be another reason why I would consider purchasing one.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Just had a hands on with the iWatch. It is not actually ugly. It is just bland. Not a very good design at all but nothing to offend. The UI is as clunky as it appeared in the vids. Not very Apple like.

It is ugly. The pictures make it look a lot nicer than it is in real life. I went for a fitting this afternoon and came away disappointed. I'm not 100 % sold on how useful it will be but was willing to give it a shot. However after seeing it in the flesh I'm not going to put that thing on my arm. I'm going to cancel my pre-order.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Playing music using wireless ear buds while I'm out and about without the need to have my iPhone with me would be another reason why I would consider purchasing one.

For info the lg watch r (and all android wear watches ?) should allow you to do this :)

Will be interesting if google manage to get android wear accessible to iOS as rumoured.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    For info the lg watch r (and all android wear watches ?) should allow you to do this :)

Will be interesting if google manage to get android wear accessible to iOS as rumoured.

And can you use all the iOS functions on the LG watch and sync it to the iPhone?
    Forum Member
    And can you use all the iOS functions on the LG watch and sync it to the iPhone?

Erm.... No ..... Hence my comment about the rumours that android wear might soon become available on iOS devices ???? ;)

If it did then it possibly would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erm.... No ..... Hence my comment about the rumours that android wear might soon become available on iOS devices ???? ;)

If it did then it possibly would.

Well that's no good then is it. :p:D
    Forum Member

No. My point was to highlight the various approaches taken by smartwatch manufacturers.

Best option for consumers would be to have open interfaces maybe.

It won't happen though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. My point was to highlight the various approaches taken by smartwatch manufacturers.

Best option for consumers would be to have open interfaces maybe.

It won't happen though. :)

I know. I was just pulling your leg. Would be handy if you could just sync any watch to any device though. But like you say that's highly unlikely to happen.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are already into the Apple Ecosystem, their watch is the obvious choice over Android. Since I don't already own an iPhone, I'd actively prefer an Android watch.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    If you are already into the Apple Ecosystem, their watch is the obvious choice over Android. Since I don't already own an iPhone, I'd actively prefer an Android watch.

Hence why I have to go for the Apple watch despite my misgivings. I'm deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, 2 iPads, MacBook Air, Apple TV) and I'm not willing to switch to android. So I've not cancelled my Apple watch order. I'll give it a shot when it arrives.
    Forum Member
    Hence why I have to go for the Apple watch despite my misgivings. I'm deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, 2 iPads, MacBook Air, Apple TV) and I'm not willing to switch to android. So I've not cancelled my Apple watch order. I'll give it a shot when it arrives.

And that's why apple won't open up the interface I guess. Its a shame as there are much prettier and more functional options out there. Its a shame the pebbles aren't a little more attractive.

I just think it will be odd when you start to see hundreds of these things (which is inevitable) and whole groups of people are wearing the exact same watch ....
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I want a stand-alone smartwatch.

I don't want to link my iPhone to anything. Until that day comes, I won't be buying one.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why not just not buy one at all:confused: I don't think a smartwatch is a 'must have'.
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I want a stand-alone smartwatch.

I don't want to link my iPhone to anything. Until that day comes, I won't be buying one.

They already exist.I believe you can already buy watch/phone combos
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still sounds a win win for APple this watch.
    If it is the diehards buying, then obviously they wll get iWatch 2 the minute it launches.

It all reminds me that the iPhone 6 launched almost 4 years after the Galaxy Nexus. So why should Apple actually buy high end parts when an older and more mature supply line is so effective at maximising long term profit?

Win win indeed.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So there are wearables from four years ago that were better than the new Apple watch?

I genuinely didn't realise that.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'And that's why apple won't open up the interface I guess.'

When you can earn £300 for something that can surely be made for about a tenner, it would be financial suicide of the highest order to open up that ecosystem more.

What puzzles me is that not one major manufacturer has realised that creating a smartphone of smartwatch proportions was likely a very timely nice little earner.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Is it really not that good??
    I can't see a particularly good reason for getting one. iPhone does everything I want.
    I have WiFi calling, I'm just waiting for VoLTE and Apple pay now!!
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    'And that's why apple won't open up the interface I guess.'

When you can earn £300 for something that can surely be made for about a tenner, it would be financial suicide of the highest order to open up that ecosystem more.

What puzzles me is that not one major manufacturer has realised that creating a smartphone of smartwatch proportions was likely a very timely nice little earner.

re BIB.

Could you give a full breakdown of all the costs involved in this £10?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    re BIB.

Could you give a full breakdown of all the costs involved in this £10?

£10 is probably slight exaggeration, but not by much. Obviously ignoring R&D costs, component prices won't be that high. Small/cheap square screen (would expect round to cost a bit more). Virtually a standard off the shelf ARM based processor, not much memory, variant of the standard optical HRM. Maybe £20 for parts.

Same goes for many watches, phones, bits of technology. Its not the parts price that determines the value of the product, thats down to what the manufacturers think the market will bear, which Apple tend to be quite good at doing.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Went to see one with the Mrs on Sunday in the Aberdeen store. The look of it as said on here already, isn't as nice as it looks on the pictures. Not keen at all with the wheel on the side. Its far easier the way i use my Samsung Gear live watch i feel just touching and scrolling on the screen. The software of course will mature and the way it works will change over time.

What i found more strange though, was that the guy didn't seem happy at all that i didn't like it and that i was comparing how it worked with my Samsung watch!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    £10 is probably slight exaggeration, but not by much. Obviously ignoring R&D costs, component prices won't be that high. Small/cheap square screen (would expect round to cost a bit more). Virtually a standard off the shelf ARM based processor, not much memory, variant of the standard optical HRM. Maybe £20 for parts.

Same goes for many watches, phones, bits of technology. Its not the parts price that determines the value of the product, thats down to what the manufacturers think the market will bear, which Apple tend to be quite good at doing.

But why would anyone focus solely on component costs here as if everyone else sells products for pretty much the same cost as the components.

Should birthday cards cost 10p based on the cost of an A5 piece of card?

Or would that just be stupid?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    But why would anyone focus solely on component costs here as if everyone else sells products for pretty much the same cost as the components.

Should birthday cards cost 10p based on the cost of an A5 piece of card?

Or would that just be stupid?

As I said, price isn't determined by cost of components, I also said "ignoring R&D" (which is damn expensive). Its based on what the manufacturer believes the market will accept.

Only idiots focus solely on component costs.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Went to see one with the Mrs on Sunday in the Aberdeen store. The look of it as said on here already, isn't as nice as it looks on the pictures. Not keen at all with the wheel on the side. Its far easier the way i use my Samsung Gear live watch i feel just touching and scrolling on the screen. The software of course will mature and the way it works will change over time.

What i found more strange though, was that the guy didn't seem happy at all that i didn't like it and that i was comparing how it worked with my Samsung watch!

That's interesting, because reviews I've seen of android wear makes it sound like a complete dog.