Help! DVD tray is jammed?

Nothing's in the tray, but it's stuck. It makes a sound like it's trying to open but locked shut. Rebooting doesn't help.

I've tried pressing the DVD eject button - jammed.

Tried right clicking the drive and pressing eject - jammed.

Stuck a paper clip in the manual eject pinhole - the drive whirrs as if it's reading, but then does nothing.

In Windows, when I double click the drive, instead of getting the usual "Please insert a Disc into drive D:" I get opened into D: but it's blank - there's nothing there.

What can I do to open the drive?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Never mind - not sure what the problem was, but I seem to have fixed it. For now, at least...

I put a disc in Drive E: and then right clicked Drive D: > Eject and it opened normally this time around.

EDIT: Still jams, and only opens if I right-click D: > Eject. Pressing the release button on the front of the drive doesn't work.

Is it dying? Anything I can do to fix it?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it's physically borked.

The little doohickey that lifts the disc up prior to spinning it is probably getting in the way of the tray.
    It's possible you might have bent/damaged something while monkeying around trying to get it to work again.

You could take it all to bits and see if it can be sorted out (might be a spring come unclipped or something) but, given that a DVD drive costs about £20 and pretty-much every disc you ever put in it is worth more than the drive itself, do you want to risk it doing something nasty while you've got a game disc in the drive?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an external drive I spilt a drink on.

I did clean it but obviously not enough. It opens if I press down on it.

Otherwise, most drives have a pinhole in the door. Use an unbent paperclip to release.
    https://www.google.com/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=paperclip+cd+drive
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Otherwise, most drives have a pinhole in the door. Use an unbent paperclip to release.
    https://www.google.com/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=paperclip+cd+drive

Ahem...
    Stuck a paper clip in the manual eject pinhole - the drive whirrs as if it's reading, but then does nothing.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    :) Thanks... will just get a new one then. >_>