Options

Any cyclists out there?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    So, to sum up:

- Clean the chain every few months at least.
    - GT-85 is good to displace water after a washing and a mediocre lubricant.

Unresolved questions:
    - Chain lube lasts longer than chain wax?
    - Wet vs Dry chain lube in general?
    - Which brands of lubricant you actually use?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    how many hands do you have ? So you are supposed to ring the bell, cover it at the same time, steer and cover the brakes all at the same time ?

Most people fit the bell on the handlebars where you can operate it with your thumb without having to remove your hand from the grip.

To muffle it, you do have to move your hand a few inches, palm over the bell, and use the thumb to operate. You can still control the steering, and by putting it on the left (in the UK) the other hand can control the front brake during the one second it takes to sound your warning.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, to sum up:

- Clean the chain every few months at least.
    - GT-85 is good to displace water after a washing and a mediocre lubricant.

Unresolved questions:
    - Chain lube lasts longer than chain wax?
    - Wet vs Dry chain lube in general?
    - Which brands of lubricant you actually use?

Clean your chain when you need to - you'll know, you'll see it and often you'll have gunk around the cogs that needs to be cleaned too.

GT-85 and WD-40 shouldn't go near a chain, even to displace water after washing it. Oil and grease comes off best with degreaser or just plain old white spirits, then wash it with ordinary washing up liquid, then leave to air dry before re-lubricating. Keep it simple, keep it cheap.

Chain wax can be great in the summer but a nightmare in the winter as temperatures drop. It can be very difficult to apply and a poor cold weather lubricant.

I'm not a brand name with chain lube really, most stuff that is specifically sold as chain lube (for cycles or motorbikes) has the right formulation to protect a chain. If you really insist on brands, Muc-Off is the one to go for but it's not cheap.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Just ordered some white lightning.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    how many hands do you have ? So you are supposed to ring the bell, cover it at the same time, steer and cover the brakes all at the same time ?
    I've never found it a problem, the bell press is right next to your thumb. What I tend to do is what I call a pre-emptive ring i.e. I don't wait until I'm right upon pedestrians, I do it some way off then look for them to glance in my direction and if necessary follow up with another a few seconds later. Less chance of them being suddenly startled.