Paypal limited account - not verifying?!

I got an email a couple of weeks ago to say that my account was limited because it suspected dodgy activity.

I went to the resolution centre, changed my password and then forgot about the last step! Fast forward a week or so I went back into resolution centre and did the last step of verifying my details. It phoned my home phone number and I put it on the code it gave me and clicked 'continue'. The next screen came up saying it was unable to verify my details (why I have no idea given it was obviously the correct home number) and I would get a letter in the post!

Has anyone had experience of this? What happens once I get this letter? How long will it take for my account to be reactivated?

I run a stationery design business and buy a lot of my supplies from ebay so this is really pants. The only reason it's taken me a couple of weeks to realise is because I've been on holiday!

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paypal are evil, boycott them like the plague.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    How else can I purchase on ebay regularly though?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Paypal might be a financial institution, and a huge one at that, but it follows it's own rules. Here in the UK Paypal wasn't regulated by the FSA. But I think it now is, as it became a bank and was issued a banking license a few years ago although banking regulation now comes under the BofE doesn't it?. This means you now have proper avenues to make formal complaints.

If you have exhausted Paypal's own complaints procedure, it might be worth finding out how to make a formal complaint to the relevant authorities. Even though they are now based in Luxembourg that does not exempt them from having to comply with UK banking laws and regulations.

My own account has been frozen by them for years, and several months of emails etc. achieved nothing. As it was actually in debt after a fraudulent chargeback by a scam buyer, I ended up being so frustrated trying to deal with Paypal I just gave up selling on Ebay all together. For example, at the time they wanted me to fax documents to them to verify my identity, but I was already a verified member and had been for years, and who uses fax machines these days?. I don't know anybody that does, nor any local shops that still have a fax service either. They refused to accept scans of documents via email too at the time.

They are an awful company, with awful customer service and the fact Ebay changed to force it's buyers and sellers to offer Paypal was an appalling move.
  • nodnolnodnol Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't need a PayPal account to purchase. Just use the pay with debit/credit card option. It's perfectly safe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

You can pay for things without having a Paypal account yourself. The seller needs a Paypal account, as the payment is still processed by them, but you just choose the option to pay by Debit or Credit card.

You only need a proper Paypal account these days if you are a seller.