Options

- ~ Rachel Riley & Pasha Kovalev Appreciation Thread ~ -

Comments

• Options
    PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member
    emmalou78 wrote: »
    Thanks Karma, Lennie, Kelley, Korky and Callie for the pictures and links, I love the still from ITT of Pasha and Mark, can't wait to watch it later.

Here is a link to an interview from today's Closer magazine with Rachel, I cannot believe she thinks she has a big bum, she has a gorgeous figure!

http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/emmalou78_photo/media/Rachel/RachelCloserMagazine_zpsf92ea392.jpg.html

Completely off topic but the magazines have lots of Abbey/Janette content. I just thought I would scan this for anyone interested, Alijaz mentions Janette has dated Pasha and Artem, some girls have all the luck it seems!

http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/emmalou78_photo/library/Other%20Strictly%20Articles

Thanks for all the links everyone... :)
    Loving Pasha and Mark together holding hands... :)
    Reminded me of a pic from a few months back...ooo....:o:o

Rachel insecure about her bum!!!:eek:.. Would love to have one like her....lol...Lucky Pash!!!;)...Although I don't understand how she can look at him and burst out laughing...:confused:... Bless him!!!

Sooo... Aljaz was the insider....lol... funny now that I have seen a bit more of Janette, she doesn't seem like the person I would have thought who either Pasha or Artem would date...but I guess opposites attract...Plus we just see their public persona and don't know what their private prefernces are or what makes them tic on a personal level... :)... But things like that are best left personal I guess... more the charm...:D:D *leery grin*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the pics, links and mag snippets :)

Double latin is tough :eek: but agree cha cha may be slightly easier to perform than salsa.....fingers crossed. I don't think the music will necessarily be slower for 'lurve' week though....just have the word 'lurve' in the title....but guess we will find out on Thursday :confused:

Remind me please...there is not normally shimmying in cha cha....is there... lol? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thankfully cha cha doesn't involve shimmying callie... :eek::eek:
    Never thought I would be so glad of the fact....:rolleyes::eek:... I admit this is the first time I wouldn't mind not seeing Pasha shimmying...:eek::p:D ... Pasha does the best shimmies... :D
  • Options
    PashOnForPashaPashOnForPasha Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    He doesn't bother with them in English either (the articles). Russian also lacks the verb 'to be' in the present tense, which is an interesting fact of national psyche -- a good earthiness. It must make it very strange to be thinking in English all of the time.
    :D:D

As someone who studied linguistics and is a bit of a geek on the subject, I love that this is such a wide-ranging thread - from HRH in nothing but a dressing gown to the finer points of Russian language in just 24 hours :D
    I agree with previous posts - Pasha takes the time to think his answers through and 'frame' them correctly - both in terms of language and content. Never anything smutty or inappropriate or cruel or said just for laughs. It is the fact that he is such a bright, analytical, deep thinking individual that makes me adore him. As for Rachel - she is a breath of fresh air and I am quite sure that once she lets go of her inhibitions (under Pasha's encouraging teaching) she will be great. Easy to forget now, but Kimberley was also quite buttoned up and careful (albeit with a little more natural rhythm in the early weeks) until she ended up in the dance off. That was the point for me when she seemed to throw caution to the wind - and blossomed into the dancer who we all know should have won last season if there was any justice in the world :rolleyes:
  • Options
    KartemAddictKartemAddict Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Howe to shimmy with Pasha
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jdzkn
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with previous posts - Pasha takes the time to think his answers through and 'frame' them correctly - both in terms of language and content. Never anything smutty or inappropriate or cruel or said just for laughs. It is the fact that he is such a bright, analytical, deep thinking individual that makes me adore him.

This is exactly what I see in Pasha. You just know that if you got chatting or writing to him he'd be an intelligent, deep, thoughtful conversationalist who cares how he comes over. I'd like to ask him whether he's ever said anything he badly regrets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Just to go off topic for a minute.. I've just seen Kevin's impressions of the judges. And they are hysterical. I like Kevin. Any back to rachael and pasha. Bring on the cha cha cha. I say.
  • Options
    Forum Member

lo... Thanks KA!! Sooo hilarious!!! :D
    Always love some Pasha shimmy....;):D:o
  • Options
    KartemAddictKartemAddict Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Pasha and Rachel screencaps HERE
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, just seen the shimmy thing you've all been talking about (thanks for the link Kartem Addict) :)

Poor Rachel! She looks to me -- plain and simple -- like she doesn't want to jiggle her tits in his face. :D She's going to have to loosen up a bit. A leeetle bit, Rachel!

His expression: priceless :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pasha and Rachel screencaps HERE

Thanks again KA for your lovely work!!
    You do spoil us!!!
    Some lovely pics... Thank you so very much again.. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His face is indeed a picture Monkey... Bless him...!!!
    I am starting on my shimmy training tomorrow ... ;):D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Rachel! She looks to me -- plain and simple -- like she doesn't want to jiggle her tits in his face. :D She's going to have to loosen up a bit. A leeetle bit, Rachel!

I see similarities with Ben's 'problem' here in that I think they are both private people (albeit fairly used to being in the public eye) and don't feel comfortable doing 'sexy' (hate the word and never otherwise use it) moves with someone they've been thrown together with a few weeks ago in front of millions of people. They're not yet expressing themselves through dance the way the professionals do but merely learning and then carrying out instructions, plus trying so hard not to make fools of themselves by forgetting the steps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see similarities with Ben's 'problem' here in that I think they are both private people (albeit fairly used to being in the public eye) and don't feel comfortable doing 'sexy' (hate the word and never otherwise use it) moves with someone they've been thrown together with a few weeks ago in front of millions of people. They're not yet expressing themselves through dance the way the professionals do but merely learning and then carrying out instructions, plus trying so hard not to make fools of themselves by forgetting the steps.

You are very wise. Neither has forgotten steps or movements, but apart from odd little moments neither has used movement as if it carried meaning. 'Careful' would be a good word for both. Inhibition made Ben quite stiff in his waltz and it made Rachel over-floppy in her salsa as she tried to find a way out of it using her body alone instead of unlocking her mind/spirit/feeling thingy. It makes them interesting to watch! I hope they're both in long enough to find their way through it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is a very good observation Korky and Monkey.... And I just hope they are in long enough to unlock that hidden door!!! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pashulty wrote: »
    It is a very good observation Korky and Monkey.... And I just hope they are in long enough to unlock that hidden door!!! :D:D

Pasha's popularity will see them through for a while, I think, and I'm not meaning to be unkind to Rachel in saying this.
    You are very wise. Neither has forgotten steps or movements, but apart from odd little moments neither has used movement as if it carried meaning. 'Careful' would be a good word for both. Inhibition made Ben quite stiff in his waltz and it made Rachel over-floppy in her salsa as she tried to find a way out of it using her body alone instead of unlocking her mind/spirit/feeling thingy. It makes them interesting to watch! I hope they're both in long enough to find their way through it

Perhaps neither enjoys music enough to 'feel' it, in which case the merging of emotion, physicality and expression will always elude them. I think if I were their teachers I would get them to imagine dancing with someone they love or have loved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    The problem with Pasha's English is that he seems to have learnt American first and so, quite understandably, is having to unlearn many bad habits as well as absorb the many idioms with which native English speakers use to communicate. Rachel's cutting a rug and I wish team Pashel to break a leg.

What a lovely thread you are:), but maybe we could avoid sweeping generalizations like the BIB. Yes, we do have bad habits here in America. I was an English Professor for many years and saw some very bad and some excellent writers. However, the media might not portray the better of our writers and speakers. I must add that it is likely that as a whole, you might have fewer people with "bad habits", but I have heard and seen quite a few small and large errors from British speakers and writers myself. So, I guess poor Pasha will have to figure out how to unlearn our bad habits while also attempting not to adopt new bad habits!:eek::)

Please don't think I am trying to start a word war! Truly, I appreciate all of you and your generous sharing of all things Pasha. It was just a bit hurtful to read such a one-sided post.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, Phronni. Please don't feel we're being high-handed or snooty about the country that gave us Steinbeck, Marilynne Robinson, Bellow etc. (And Pasha)

Most English people are ready to laugh about their own accents and ways of speaking. We have to!

Picking up those new 'bad habits' is something speakers do all of the time. I notice when I travel to Bradford, say, and I hear first, second, third-generation Indian or Pakistani people speaking perfect Yorkshire. Or in Glasgow, perfect incomprehensibility. :p:p Newcomers are terrifically good at picking up dialects because it's every day and every speaker; it's your community, your job, your whole fitting-in... All that's much more powerful than BBC English.

I was longing for Pasha to be stuck with Chelsee's accent and way of speaking but it didn't happen :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank God Pasha didn't stick with Chels's accent...:eek::eek:... although I miss his 'Don't be daft' and his preceding lesson in Chels's Manchurian English... oh Pashaaa....Those were the days...sigh.... Thanks Monkey for keeping the thread so entertaining and everyone else too....:)
  • Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pashulty wrote: »
    Thank God Pasha didn't stick with Chels's accent...:eek::eek:... although I miss his 'Don't be daft' and his preceding lesson in Chels's Manchurian English... oh Pashaaa....Those were the days...sigh.... Thanks Monkey for keeping the thread so entertaining and everyone else too....:)

:D velly good
  • Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......As for Rachel - she is a breath of fresh air and I am quite sure that once she lets go of her inhibitions (under Pasha's encouraging teaching) she will be great. Easy to forget now, but Kimberley was also quite buttoned up and careful (albeit with a little more natural rhythm in the early weeks) until she ended up in the dance off. That was the point for me when she seemed to throw caution to the wind - and blossomed into the dancer who we all know should have won last season if there was any justice in the world :rolleyes:

From her very first dance,cha-cha-ing to Domino,though,Kim's passion for performance was evident.In that routine when she turned away from Pasha on his knees,she gives just the right look for that moment,I suspect instinctively.
    Rachel will have to think about it and search within herself to discover what it's all about.Compared to Kim,she's effectively,as far as we know,starting from scratch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I think Chelsee and Kimberley both had natural dance ability but i think Rachel is a bit gangly and not a natural dancer.She needs to trust Pasha and just let go.I know i could easily let go if i was dancing with the gorgeous man!!By the way , did anyone notice before they danced their salsa,when they put their names up on screen,they spelt Pasha wrong,they put "Pascha"
  • Options
    PoppysinbloomPoppysinbloom Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phronni7 wrote: »
    The problem with Pasha's English is that he seems to have learnt American first and so, quite understandably, is having to unlearn many bad habits as well as absorb the many idioms with which native English speakers use to communicate. Rachel's cutting a rug and I wish team Pashel to break a leg.

What a lovely thread you are:), but maybe we could avoid sweeping generalizations like the BIB. Yes, we do have bad habits here in America. I was an English Professor for many years and saw some very bad and some excellent writers. However, the media might not portray the better of our writers and speakers. I must add that it is likely that as a whole, you might have fewer people with "bad habits", but I have heard and seen quite a few small and large errors from British speakers and writers myself. So, I guess poor Pasha will have to figure out how to unlearn our bad habits while also attempting not to adopt new bad habits!:eek::)

Please don't think I am trying to start a word war! Truly, I appreciate all of you and your generous sharing of all things Pasha. It was just a bit hurtful to read such a one-sided post.:cry:
    As that's my post being quoted I will reply. I believe I'm the only one to have referenced learning American too so your remarks are better addressed to me than the thread in general.

My post was a joke. I know that posting can sometimes seem ambiguous as you can't see or hear the person writing the post so perhaps it's best then to check if the poster was being serious or joking. (Note to self to populate posts with numerous smilies so other know I'm joking ...) However, there is the saying that America and England (or Britain these days) are separated by their languages. There are as many differences in vocabulary, idioms and some grammar, as there are similarities. I would never try and suggest that people of Britain speak or write perfect English. That would be ridiculous. And yes Pasha has to learn a new language including all the mistakes and slang!

I have no intention for a war of words either. I'm sorry my joke offended you. If you find a post of my offensive in future perhaps you could check with me first rather than assume something -?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppysinbloom,

You've already nailed the problem by resolving in future to include some sort of hint when you are joking.

Sadly my experience of this forum, and particularly of the basement level, is that whenever I've had a "You cannot be serious" moment the poster has invariably been serious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame Len.

Did you see Rachel's hips?
    How could you miss them?

They nearly had someone's eye out at the judge's table.

And it's all Len's fault.

"Give it some welly" he said,so she must have borrowed several pairs from Chelsee.

She should have gone with her football boots.
    What was required was the style and control of a striker dribbling the ball.

What we got was a kick from an angry mule.

As I said,I blame Len.

Jim - I'm more inclined to blame the judges as a group - or their masters.

We're only two weeks in, and already we've seen several examples of the judges knowing the marks they intend to allocate before a couple has danced - tailoring their comments to excuse the marks.

With a different agenda Len would undoubtedly have praised Rachel for coming out and doing what he asked of her. And it was noticeable that other couples were told that enthusiasm and entertainment value made up for major deficiencies in technique.

Instead we were insulted by Len's "too careful" verdict - as if there weren't numerous other dances in the first two weeks which were more careful than Rachel's Waltz, let alone the Salsa, which didn't receive that criticism. What did he expect from somebody who only four weeks ago was practically a complete novice both as a dancer and as a performer?

But all four judges betrayed their group agenda with their comments. The net result was that there were three couples (and maybe a fourth) placed higher than Rachel and Pasha going into the first elimination who imo would have been lower were it not for the tactical marking.

I'm guessing Pasha wasn't about to be burnt twice, and gave Rachel a routine to kill two birds with one stone - nipping the stage-fright issue in the bud by allowing her to dance without worrying too much about technique, and recruiting the optimum number of followers from the voting public, many of whom will have been hooked by that spectacular pinwheel thingy early in the routine and the way she strutted past Pasha later on.