Options

Report: BBC to take on cost of TV Licence for over 75s, catch-up to require TVL

Comments

• Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    So exactly why do you think this 20% cut in funding (cost of over-75 licence fees is 1/5th of their total budget) is a good thing?

It will surely mean cuts in services, etc., meaning less value for the TVL payer.

Don't worry. We know the answer. You don't care because you're only interested in yourself.
  • Options
    Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So exactly why do you think this 20% cut in funding (cost of over-75 licence fees is 1/5th of their total budget) is a good thing?

It will surely mean cuts in services, etc., meaning less value for the TVL payer.
    Services are what you get in the NHS and local councils. The Beeb is all about programs and web stuff.
    Don't worry. We know the answer. You don't care because you're only interested in yourself.
    No matter how many times you put words in my mouth it never gets boring mate.

I want the Government to balance the budget. Saving £650m or whatever sounds like a good plan.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Newsnight:

Evan Davies confirms the BBC has power to stop licence fees for over 75s which he indicates is just weird as its social policy.

Michael Lyons says its a terrible move. The process isn't right for charter renewal. No longer independent.

Danny Cohen said the deal started a few days ago. Charter Renewal will still continue after this. Feels they negotiatied the best deal for the licence payer. He wouldn't give an inflation based figure. Evan told him its a 10% cut, Danny Cohen disagreed, but I suspect he didn't understand the question.

Steve Hewlett says Evan Davies is right it's cash flat, 10-12% cut after inflation. Process is a absolute disgrace, breaches independence with Treasury ringing up to get money from the BBC. Whittingdale has been embarrassed as he himself said it should be a public process.
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC has the power to remove free TV licenses for the over 75s then they should do so, there is no economic case for such a universal benefit.

As for cuts, one area the BBC should look at is S4C. Currently, under the 2010 settlement BBC Wales contributes around £70m+ pa to S4C, which reaches around 500,000 people a week. It would be politically difficult, but there must be a case for greater integration with BBC Wales.

I suspect one area the BBC may look at is AM and FM transmission. There are quite a substantial number of local BBC stations that still broadcast on medium wave (with sport opt-outs), Arguably, these should be closed, with sports opt-outs on DAB. By 2020, when full funding for licence fees for over 75s kicks in, the BBC could contemplate taking one or more of its national radio networks off FM, leaving them DAB/digital only.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian001 wrote: »
    I suspect one area the BBC may look at is AM and FM transmission. There are quite a substantial number of local BBC stations that still broadcast on medium wave (with sport opt-outs), Arguably, these should be closed, with sports opt-outs on DAB.
    Already done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC has the power to remove free TV licenses for the over 75s then they should do so, there is no economic case for such a universal benefit.

As for cuts, one area the BBC should look at is S4C. Currently, under the 2010 settlement BBC Wales contributes around £70m+ pa to S4C, which reaches around 500,000 people a week. It would be politically difficult, but there must be a case for greater integration with BBC Wales.

It's integrated with BBC Wales for the BBC aspects but the BBC doesn't run S4C AFAIK. Eg they make the same programmes in Welsh and English
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I can actually see why Tony Hall would be relatively relieved with the deal he's got. Frankly, I feared it could be significantly worse than this given a Tory majority.

There'll still be more cuts, of course - but if by taking them on the BBC has fended off some of the top-slicing and achieved an inflation link, then there're probably right to consider it the best they could have managed in the circumstances. Timing looks like it could be everything. Deferring taking over 75 licences by another year (and getting a year closer to the date when they - as implied - can reduce or scrap them) was an important concession. It suggests that while cuts will really bite from 2018-2020, the BBC might then be in a position to recover some of that loss in the second half of the charter.

As a big supporter of the BBC, I wish it was better news - but I'm at least heartened the corporation should persist, in a very substantiative form, for at least another decade.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member

They're guaranteed until 2020, but the comments today from the government rather imply that they're happy that they BBC can reduce or scrap it from then. In truth, it's one of those wasteful benefits that no government likes, but would never scrap for fear of the OAPs in the ballot box. The BBC will do the government - and the taxpayer at large - something of a service by chopping it down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    They're guaranteed until 2020, but the comments today from the government rather imply that they're happy that they BBC can reduce or scrap it from then. In truth, it's one of those wasteful benefits that no government likes, but would never scrap for fear of the OAPs in the ballot box. The BBC will do the government - and the taxpayer at large - something of a service by chopping it down.
    The problem is in 5 years time there will be another election. The winning party will probably make the same pledge again so the BBC will be stuck with it as the number of over 75s grows. Nothing in this deal will be watertight for more than 5 years I bet. The govt agreed to take the OAP thing of the table five years ago, only to bring it back this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a big supporter of the BBC, I wish it was better news - but I'm at least heartened the corporation should persist, in a very substantiative form, for at least another decade.

I'm not sure this deal is for a decade, it could be for 5 years. The charter renewal process might cover 10 years funding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They will do a favour if they can kill it off but I don't think that will be easy as OAPs vote more than young people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can actually see why Tony Hall would be relatively relieved with the deal he's got. Frankly, I feared it could be significantly worse than this given a Tory majority.

It's clear the BBC think it's a good deal, their modelling must show this as more positive than they will let on. Danny Cohen was very reluctant to talk numbers on Newsnight
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    I suspect one area the BBC may look at is AM and FM transmission. There are quite a substantial number of local BBC stations that still broadcast on medium wave (with sport opt-outs), Arguably, these should be closed, with sports opt-outs on DAB.

I never even knew they existed, I've always assumed all local radio stations were FM :blush:

We get much better "radio" reception on Freeview anyway, why not move them there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I never even knew they existed, I've always assumed all local radio stations were FM :blush:

We get much better "radio" reception on Freeview anyway, why not move them there?

Because freeview doesn't work in cars?
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Because freeview doesn't work in cars?

Aye, I suspect one of the reasons we still have non FM stations is probably because they may be receivable in areas where FM is not available or unreliable (by using both systems you can potentially overcome problems that might affect one or other service).
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will do a favour if they can kill it off but I don't think that will be easy as OAPs vote more than young people.

Many OAPs would be more than happy to pay if given the chance to do so.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Many OAPs would be more than happy to pay if given the chance to do so.

? eh, you have to apply for a "Free" Licence, if you like paying so much, just keep on paying!
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    ? eh, you have to apply for a "Free" Licence, if you like paying so much, just keep on paying!

Oh really - I didn't know how it worked. Well that's fair enough then.

I'll just add one slight qualification - many people who got it might well have thought it fair game to claim the freebie from a Labour government which was going mad and spraying money about like confetti and the funding was coming from general taxation, but will feel less happy if the BBC suffers directly and there is generally less of a perception that public money grows on trees.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big one is the increase in the fee with inflation. Was this in the Tory manifesto? I expected a freeze not another hike like Sky bills?

Don't Sky put their prices up by more than the rate of inflation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    But just because they pursue the debt it doesn't mean they will actually recover 100% of all debts.
    Bailiffs, especially the High Court enforcement bailiffs can be pretty good at getting the debt paid or finding goods that, when sold, will cover the debt.
    If the Perry report reckons it will cost £200m then until someone more qualified comes up with a better estimate then I can't see what else we have to go on.

I am sure Perry is aware of CCJs and bailiffs.
    It all depends on what they looked at (or were instructed to look at) , what other conclusions they came to, and crucially which parts of the report have been publicised and which parts have been kept under wraps.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Danny Cohen said the deal started a few days ago. Charter Renewal will still continue after this. Feels they negotiatied the best deal for the licence payer.
    and did Cohen explain why the Quisling Hall did this deal behind the backs of and without the authority of said Licence payer?

Birt started the destruction of the BBC 25 years ago,
    Hall finished it yesterday
    Birt stood in the Lords and condemned Hall's action.

Yesterday, the BBC had a tenner of mine for 30 days production, commisioning and distribution of programming,
    today I have lost nearly a week's worth so the Tory's can finance a 'pledge'.

Unbelievable betrayal by an outfit supposedly independent of Government.

90 years of cultural heritage destroyed, at a stoke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you worked at Salford? I have , I never met any communists. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    And I'm not sure whether communists would choose The Guardian as their chosen reading material either
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    ands did Cohen explain why the Quisling Hall did this deal behind the backs of and without the authority of said Licence payer?

Birt started the destruction of the BBC 25 years ago,
    Hall finished it yesterday
    Birt stood in the Lords and condemned Hall's action.

Yesterday, the BBC had a tenner of mine for 30 days production, commisioning and distribution of programming,
    today I have lost nearly a week's worth so the Tory's can finance a 'pledge'.

Unbelievable betrayal by an outfit supposedly independent of Government.

90 years of cultural heritage destroyed, at a stoke.

Left wing voters must have incredibly high blood pressure. On the scale of things, for humanities sake, for the good of the environment, for the welfare of the sick, the infirm and elderly, for the sake of education and emergency services, it actually doesn't really matter much does it? The BBC will still be there tomorrow and in 10 years time. Chill out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is exactly what is wrong - the BBC is a broadcaster and too many times the Tories (and some posters here) have told us that the BBC is getting too big, has its fingers in too many pies, and is active in areas that are far removed from it core purposes. And yet here we have a Tory government getting the BBC to carry out part of its welfare policy, and then to devolve responsibility for that welfare policy to the BBC.

Madness.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's integrated with BBC Wales for the BBC aspects but the BBC doesn't run S4C AFAIK. Eg they make the same programmes in Welsh and English

Didn't the BBC take over the running of S4C because of the incompetence of the previous management ? Licence money should not be going towards a commercial operation which is what S4C is. Licence money raised in Wales should be spent on BBC output. Doesn't BBC Alba get money from the Scottish government ?