Glasgow 2014

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the section will get renamed! This was originally the London Olympics 2012 section, then the Winter Olympics....
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoyed as just found a Premier Inn in Glasgow that's £80 cheaper than the hotel I booked in Edinburgh. My flights are to/from Edinburgh though and everything's sorted so can't change it now. :(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Annoyed as just found a Premier Inn in Glasgow that's £80 cheaper than the hotel I booked in Edinburgh. My flights are to/from Edinburgh though and everything's sorted so can't change it now. :(

My golden rule of travel is once you have booked, never check the price again as you'll only upset yourself.

I'm also flying to Edinburgh and stopping there on a non-changeable booking. It's interesting if prices are finally coming down but I wasn't prepared to take the chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Don't be too annoyed Shappy, by staying in Edinburgh and visiting Glasgow you get two great cities for the price of one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I should just be pleased I am going. :)
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not been able to find any detailed timetable information online anywhere (just the schedule that has been available since the tickets went on sale last year). I thought it was just me initially but a lot of bloggers who are usually on the ball regarding stuff like this are also having trouble. There is some information in the latest Radio Times which is great but this only up to Monday 28th.

This is the sort of thing that you take for granted being available nowadays. Given this I wonder if there will be entry lists & results available on the website. Again something you take for granted these days. I wouldn't expect the start lists to be available just yet but they should be from early next week for the events like swimming & triathlon which are on day 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news - they have now added the schedule on the site and there is a results section on there. Hopefully we will get start lists as we approach the start of the games.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Good news - they have now added the schedule on the site and there is a results section on there. Hopefully we will get start lists as we approach the start of the games.

The problem with the Commonwealths is that they never quite know who is going to turn up till they get here.
  • alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnson-Thompson has pulled out of the heptathlon due to a knee injury, really gutted to hear that news, she was one of England's biggest medal hopes in the athletics. Well hope she gets better and continues her practicing, then maybe come 2016 she can do one better and get Olympic gold.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    alexjones wrote: »
    Johnson-Thompson has pulled out of the heptathlon due to a knee injury, really gutted to hear that news, she was one of England's biggest medal hopes in the athletics. Well hope she gets better and continues her practicing, then maybe come 2016 she can do one better and get Olympic gold.
    Who's England's other main Athletics medal hopes other than Mo Farrah.
    Also why is Christine Ohuruogu only running the Relay and not the main 400m. I suppose having won it before it doesn't have as much pull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Who's England's other main Athletics medal hopes other than Mo Farrah..

Well, there's Greg Rutherford in the long jump and a few of the London 2012 medallists in the para-sports (which are integrated into the programme unlike the Olympics) but otherwise it is mostly a young and development team building for the future.

Terrible news about Johnson-Thompson. She was sure to have been one of the faces of the whole Games.
  • alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also why is Christine Ohuruogu only running the Relay and not the main 400m. I suppose having won it before it doesn't have as much pull.

There is also Greg Rutherford of course - as is often the case he has had a couple of injury issues recently but he sounded quite positive yesterday when speaking at the Anniversary Games so fingers crossed. I'd say our sprint hurdlers are in good form - Sally Pearson is not in the best form this year so I think Tiff Porter could beat her (she's already beaten her a few times this year on the circuit) and Will Sharman is having his best season to date.

You then have some of the younger athletes who probably won't win gold but could well win minor medals if they set PBs - people like Adam Gemili, Jessica Judd & Laura Weightman.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

we have the two Brownlee brothers who do the Triathlon a potential gold and silver there :D
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of opening ceremony tickets left for sale, 1 day to go...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there cheap tickets left as well?
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Are there cheap tickets left as well?

There were last time I looked £20. I expect they will start to mark down some of the expensive tickets if they have any sense.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    alexjones wrote: »
    Foot injury I believe.
    Forum Member
    It might be bad missing out due to injury but how about because your luggage didn't show up and you were rejected registration because you didn't have your competition jacket

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/shooting/28418330
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Well, there's Greg Rutherford in the long jump and a few of the London 2012 medallists in the para-sports (which are integrated into the programme unlike the Olympics) but otherwise it is mostly a young and development team building for the future.

Terrible news about Johnson-Thompson. She was sure to have been one of the faces of the whole Games.
    Tomlinson will destroy Rutherford ;)
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    I've requested a sub forum be set up.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another high profile name pulls out of the games! Wendy Houvenaghel has quit after not recovering from a back injury. The injury has, in fact, made her decide to retire from cycling altogether which is a shame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28425366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've requested a sub forum be set up.

Hurrah! Finally got it.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Hurrah! Finally got it.
    Yes, well done forum support!! :)