Options

The Web of Fear DVD

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bought my copy of The Web of Fear earlier today in my local HMV. Overall, I am pleased with it. The Restoration Team have done quite a good job of cleaning up the surviving episodes.

One thing I'm not that happy with, is episode 3. I don't really like tele-snaps that much at all. I much prefer animation. But, unfortunately, we have to put up with the picture stills. :(

Have many of you have got the WOF DVD? And what do you like about it?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I was a bit too early in Sainsburys and I had to rummage about in the stock bucket for it as they had not got around to putting it on the shelf.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I ordered mine from amazon, should get it this week. However am in a dilemma about watching it! I am currently doing a rewatch/listen from the very beginning, and am currently half way through "Daleks Masterplan" . I dont know whether to hang the continuity of the rewatch and watch it this week, and then watch it again when I get to it, as I am doing with Enemy of the world, or should I wait until I get there? After all a few more weeks wont matter, they are not going to lose it again are they! Any help or advice appreciated, these are the kind of things that can keep a dedicated fan awake at night!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit too early in Sainsburys and I had to rummage about in the stock bucket for it as they had not got around to putting it on the shelf.

You must've got there before 9am, then.

On another note, shame there aren't any extras on the DVD apart from a Enemy of the World 'available now on DVD' trailer.

Maybe they didn't have time. Perhaps the reason that Frazer and Deborah didn't do a commentry track is that they didn't think WOF was ever going to be found and be pretty much complete again.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stuartjk wrote: »
    I ordered mine from amazon, should get it this week. However am in a dilemma about watching it! I am currently doing a rewatch/listen from the very beginning, and am currently half way through "Daleks Masterplan" . I dont know whether to hang the continuity of the rewatch and watch it this week, and then watch it again when I get to it, as I am doing with Enemy of the world, or should I wait until I get there? After all a few more weeks wont matter, they are not going to lose it again are they! Any help or advice appreciated, these are the kind of things that can keep a dedicated fan awake at night!:D

It'll be tastier if you wait. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuartjk wrote: »

If you are watching DW from the very beginning, then I would wait until you get around to watching WOF, but so you are not totally away from the story, you should see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPm6zcy_6j0

It's the official trailer that the BBC put together just before Christmas. To give viewers a hint of what is coming up.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it in Asda, also had to ask someone who was stocking the shelves.
    At least Asda and Sainsbury's have it. No show at Tesco again and they are useless at getting new releases out of the boxes anyway.
    For some reason Tesco in the past with the B&W Dr Who's seemed to get them a week later. Now they don't seem to bother.
    Will watch it later tonight. Didn't remember the missing episode was telesnaps. Didn't care for the Galaxy 4 one on The Aztecs extras. Better to have something than nothing though.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine arrived Saturday morning from the bbc shop for £11.19 using the promo code DOCTOR. There is a massive improvement in picture quality between the version of episode one on this release and the one on lost in time. The only problem is there looks to be a fault on episode 3. While the audio is fine the picture keeps freezing:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    If you are watching DW from the very beginning, then I would wait until you get around to watching WOF, but so you are not totally away from the story, you should see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPm6zcy_6j0

It's the official trailer that the BBC put together just before Christmas. To give viewers a hint of what is coming up.

Cheers guys, am going to try and hold off. It will be good to have something brand new on the rewatch.
    I have managed to hold off with the moonbase, but as had already seen half of it, not to hard! This is the Web of Fear we are talking about, a legend! I remember reading the target book way into the early hours, and nearly falling asleep the next day at school! I'll give it a go, will try not to give in, but it will be hard with the dvd sitting on the shelf staring at me. I'll keep you posted. :)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem is there looks to be a fault on episode 3. While the audio is fine the picture keeps freezing:)

I've just watched the first 3 episodes. Glad its only Ep 3 in telesnaps as I couldn't put up with much more.
    Think I prefer it to Enemy of the World. Both fine enough though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine arrived Saturday morning from the bbc shop for £11.19 using the promo code DOCTOR. There is a massive improvement in picture quality between the version of episode one on this release and the one on lost in time. The only problem is there looks to be a fault on episode 3. While the audio is fine the picture keeps freezing:)

The picture is meant to. They're stills, and that means they don't move. I've seen episode 3 on my DVD of the story and that seems okay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    He's making a joke.

One thing that struck me was the battle with the soldiers near the end. You can really see the Pertwee/UNIT dynamic being born.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that final episode is perhaps one of the strongest single episodes in the classic era. The tension is fantastic, the pay-off excellentt, and the Great Intelligence is genuinely frightening. The shot of the corpse of Sgt Arnold with the blackened face is really disturbing; I don't think it would be shown nowadays, and the dialogue accompanying it about him being one of the first victims of the Great Intelligence is really chilling and affecting.

I have to say it is now my favourite serial of the Troughton era.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I watched Web over the last two nights, and were hugely impressed. the story absolutely lives up to its reputation. What a treat to see it!

Ep3 in "recon" form reminded me why I have never persevered with recons in the past. It was hard work to keep on going, and I am surprised that Mrs Chuff lasted the whole 25mins without lapsing into a gentle snore.

Web is scary. The shot of the blackened corpse, as mentioned above, is really startling. There are lots of nasty screams and cobwebbed bodies. The shot of the webbed soldier being pulled out of a tunnel on a trolley is qutie distrurbing too.

The Intelligence's harsh, whispery voice is one of the best things in The Abominable Snowmen soundtrack CD. On the whole, that story bored me. Web is much better. The whispery voice again is very effective and scary.

There are plenty of believable characters. Anne Travers is great, and warmer than the other "token woman in base under siege" roles of the era (Miss Garrett, etc). Driver Evans is a fantastic creation, brilliantly written and played. Private Weems might win the "most handsome actor in a Troughton adventure" award. It's nicely played, that Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart might be the infiltrator. Sergeant Arnold is another well-written, well-played role. Debbie Watling is a bit less shrill than normal.

The tunnel and platform sets are great, but the walls wobble a bit too much for my liking in the fortress scenes.

The military scenes in Covent Garden are very strong and dramatic, and a definite forerunner of The Invasion, and of the Pertwee stuff (Spearhead, etc). Bazookas and grenades come as such a surprise: other than The War Machines, it's the first time that DW has seemed so real. Nice to spot Derek Martin too.

What a treat to see it! Following straaight on from Enemy, too. :D Who'd'a thunk it?!
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this myself and I also agree it lives upto the reputation and it still for me is the best story of the Troughton Era.

It's a shame Episode 3 is missing but the fact that only one is a done by telesnaps doesn't ruin it for me, though I'd rather have had an animated episode. It's best to have just one telesnap episode and five live ones rather than the other way round as has been the case in the past.

I think all the characters are superb, even the minor ones. Private Evans is the superb balance between light relief and the obvious suspect to be working for the Intelligence. Jack Watling is just superb as the grumpier and older Travers(and when he possessed) and Anne fulfills almost a Liz Shaw sort of role with her scientific background and occasional sarcasm.

Troughton is just superb as The Doctor, though it's a shame it was this story he was given a week off as it meant we missed out on us seeing him meet The Brig(I know Colonel!) for the first time. Thankfully the novel covered this but you can't beat seeing it!

The sets are still quite convincing and the Yeti certainly look more menacing than they did before. All in all, I much prefer this to the Intelligence stories of the New Series, where I think The Intelligence being a shapeless non-entity suits it better, and that voice is just unbeatable.

:)
  • Options
    riversotherloveriversotherlove Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I was very disappointed with The Web of Fear. Enemy was a very watchable and entertaining story in my opinon - and very under-rated. I was hoping for a similar enjoyment from Web. Yet to my dismay after a strong first episode, My interest was severely flagging very soon. I found it slow and dull and believe it is a much better story in book and audio form. While Enemy benefits from the visuals, I think they detract from the atmosphere in Web.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a couple of points to add to my previous post.

I thought the incidental music was superb, really matches the gloom and creepiness of the tunnels, especially where Victoria was lost in Episode 2.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the shootout with the army and the Yeti. Not only did it remind me of those tedious shoot outs during the Pertwee Era, I was disappointed there was no web or mist here as I assumed it was all around the area that The Intelligence had covered, but it just seemed like an ordinary day. I thought maybe making it a bit foggy or misty would made it better but perhaps budget constraints stopped this.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the incidental music was superb, really matches the gloom and creepiness of the tunnels, especially where Victoria was lost in Episode 2.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the shootout with the army and the Yeti. Not only did it remind me of those tedious shoot outs during the Pertwee Era, I was disappointed there was no web or mist here as I assumed it was all around the area that The Intelligence had covered, but it just seemed like an ordinary day. I thought maybe making it a bit foggy or misty would made it better but perhaps budget constraints stopped this.

It was made in 1967. They could rectify with optional cgi on the special edition dvd in 3 years time. Planning to watch the dvd tonight although I have already seen the iTunes version a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love those UNIT scenes for the reason that I'm a very restless person, and not prone to sitting watching TV for hours a a time, so they are an excellent opportunity for me to pace and stop concentrating for a while :D

Would that the tedious running about bits in the modern series were long enough to give me leg stretching time :p
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting point, Davey! I hadn't thought that Covent Garden really ought to be full of mist and web! I remember reading the book when I was approx 10yrs old, and walking to school on a foggy morning pretending I was hunting for yeti. :)

The recent "50yrs of DW" music CD contains a lot of the creepy Web of Fear music (some of it reused from the Troughton Cybermen stories). I can certainly recommend the CD: it's just wonderful to hear all that excellent music!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I love those UNIT scenes for the reason that I'm a very restless person, and not prone to sitting watching TV for hours a a time, so they are an excellent opportunity for me to pace and stop concentrating for a while :D

Would that the tedious running about bits in the modern series were long enough to give me leg stretching time :p

I can see why you love Season 7 so much. Out of 25 episodes they must have spent the equivalent of five of them firing at things, so you must be well settled watching them! :D
    Interesting point, Davey! I hadn't thought that Covent Garden really ought to be full of mist and web! I remember reading the book when I was approx 10yrs old, and walking to school on a foggy morning pretending I was hunting for yeti. :)

The recent "50yrs of DW" music CD contains a lot of the creepy Web of Fear music (some of it reused from the Troughton Cybermen stories). I can certainly recommend the CD: it's just wonderful to hear all that excellent music!

I did read the book when I was younger and I was certain it said that outside the tunnels it was mist and web???? Am I right on that?

I have listened to the CD as well, and maybe it was there that the mist was described?

Agree about the music. Always surprises me it crops up in The Shining as incidental music. Never can get over that one!

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to get to watch the first 3 episodes last night. Its a big shame episode 3 is still missing and that it has not been animated. My attention started to wain just looking at the stills. Looking forward to watching the last 3 episodes over the weekend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall reading many years ago, but unsure on how true the story was, that such was the level of detail in the London Underground set scenes that the BBC got some crap from London Underground at first for using the locations and going into the London Underground itself to film without first getting permission. If true try getting that level of detail today that such a situation happens lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Number 10 in the charts!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    the sound effect gave me a headaches
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Watched this yesterday, really enjoyed it.
    Although my mother (who was in and out of the room the whole time) has been walking around the house shrieking "JAMIE" quite a bit.
    I think I'll keep her away from any more exposure to Deborah Watling, just to be safe.