Options

Daniel's lucky escape

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
If LS hadn't swopped him over to the other team in the beginning he would have been a goner .

Comments

• Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree, as he would have been constantly pushing for a pitch. On the bright side it at least may have saved Katie for the interviews if he had of got the boot.....
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daniel is clearly learning from his mistakes. His input on the third pitch to Tesco was actually helpful. Compared with his first pitch (the jumpercam) where he pretty much agreed all the buyer's negative comments were justified, this was a triumph!
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just knew what was coming when they had the discussion before the pitch about Daniel keeping quiet.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't know that.
    It appears that he did well this week too, so how do we know that he wouldn't have done well in the other team should he have been in it?

I find the dynamics interesting when teams are switched around, because I try to think about who the weaker members are from week to week depending on which team they were in.

Daniel was on the losing team last week, but in my opinion was an excellent project manager. The team lost on what many on here felt was a debatable issue with the skeleton.
    This week Daniel seemed to do quite well and was on the winning team.
    So I also look at the people around him and how well they did last week and this week.
    It could be argued that the other people in Daniel's team last week just weren't as good as some perhaps had them marked down to be.

It's also worth noting that this current team tried to undermine him a little in the boardroom when Roisin discussed the pitches, but was surprisingly interrupted by Nick who stated that the clients liked Daniel. Now that could have swung things in his team's favour this week.

In the first few weeks he could often be an absolute catastrophe, but more recently he has seemed to be trying his very best and I can see definite improvements, at the same time other contestant's don't appear to be as good as I may have thought them to be a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daniel was excellent in the Tesco bit and he was only a bit rubbish in the Waitrose pitch because Roisin didn't give him anything to do.

I actually agreed with him Roisin and Bianca as a pair were dull dull dull.

I think Roisin was sensible to realise he couldn't stay shut up and gave him something worthwhile to do. After all what was the point of Market research if he wasn't allowed to deliver the findings.

Daniel clearly improved the pitch at Tescos and brought a bit of fun and personality.

And even Waitrose ordered from them so evidently, the only retailers who didn't order was Asda, where Daniel and Dolomon weren't present and the girls "did brilliantly all on their own"
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daniel was in there in the choice of flavours as well. That was ultimately the deciding factor
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know he's not too popular on here but, credit where credit's due, he's been very good in the past 2 weeks.
    Noticing that the pitch was dull and injecting a bit of energy into it was a good move and one that ultimately worked - even if Roisin and Bianca didn't like their thunder being stolen.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he's not too popular on here but, credit where credit's due, he's been very good in the past 2 weeks.
    Noticing that the pitch was dull and injecting a bit of energy into it was a good move and one that ultimately worked - even if Roisin and Bianca didn't like their thunder being stolen.

I like Daniel and he was good last night, I would never have thought he would go before Katie.

As Mark said back at the house it is now all about "your business proposal" and much of the boardroom discussion last night was concentrated on the same. Does anyone know if Daniel's business proposal has been discussed? I have that feeling that it is certainly something that LAS likes.

If I had to bet on the winner I would go for Bianca, I'm always appreciative of the one who sneaks up on the rails:)
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he got swapped by The Lord because he knew Daniel would be the target if that team lost. He wanted to ensure each team had a lamb he could slaughter should they lose. He'd lined up Sanjay as the lamb in one team, and maybe Solomon or Bianca as the lamb in the other.
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think he got swapped by The Lord

You reckon God was behind it? ;-)

I don't think he was lucky- I reckon he's going to get absolutely roasted next week. I think he'd have done better being fired. That's my guess anyway. I reckon he's this year's "You're not even a fish" candidate.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    I have that feeling that it is certainly something that LAS likes.

Ooh I'd never made the link between LAS and Daniel LASsmann before. Maybe he is the chosen one!
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Daniel had stayed with Katie and Mark, and lost, then Daniel, plus as it turned out, Katie, would have been fired. Before the task started no one could have anticipated Mark would mess up so badly that he, too, could potentialy be in line to be fired.

So- Lord Sugar puts Daniel in Roisin's team. If they had lost, it probably would have been Bianca and Solomon to go home, with Daniel surviving.

Daniel must have a brilliant business plan, Others (like Katie) have done better on tasks, but were clearly never ever going to win the series, no matter what.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LAS swapped him deliberately.
    He was already thinking about firing Sanjay and the swop gave him the chance to do so.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I hope he makes the final, he won one task as Pm and nearly won the other of his PM tasks, and only lost last week because of a debatable product going against him, has anyone else this series come close? He's improved the most IMHO, and seems to have reigned in his ego, and tries to keep his mouth shut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the vitriol against Daniel seems to have stemmed from the first stint as PM where he wasn't allowed to be given any credit for the win by his team.

I think last week showed he can get the best from his team. And (almost) 2 wins (and it's a technicality that he lost) as PM is good going.

The only other bad thing he did was agree with feedback about their crappy product during a pitch, but I can see where he was going with the comment. (it's not for you and hey it's not for me, but someone will like it).

Otherwise bar desperately trying to be involved and contribute to a win I can't see where he's made any glaring howlers at all. (Ignoring the skeleton as it's a debatable howler)

The others have treated him like crap with very little evidence that he's useless. They don't give him any chance in the first place to be useless. In fact Nick and Karen Have both defended the parts he's played in tasks.

I think he has a better record for contributing to a team win than Bianca, whose made huge errors several times.

The only time he's really let himself down was the way he handled the hot tubs and I could feel his frustration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've said before he never said he wouldn't wear the top, he said "he wouldn't wear it on a night out" as in going to a disco/meal etc. He then tried to say "but he'd wear to down the pub, with his mates" but he got talked over.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    All the vitriol against Daniel seems to have stemmed from the first stint as PM where he wasn't allowed to be given any credit for the win by his team.

I think last week showed he can get the best from his team. And (almost) 2 wins (and it's a technicality that he lost) as PM is good going.

The only other bad thing he did was agree with feedback about their crappy product during a pitch, but I can see where he was going with the comment. (it's not for you and hey it's not for me, but someone will like it).

Otherwise bar desperately trying to be involved and contribute to a win I can't see where he's made any glaring howlers at all. (Ignoring the skeleton as it's a debatable howler)

The others have treated him like crap with very little evidence that he's useless. They don't give him any chance in the first place to be useless. In fact Nick and Karen Have both defended the parts he's played in tasks.

I think he has a better record for contributing to a team win than Bianca, whose made huge errors several times.

The only time he's really let himself down was the way he handled the hot tubs and I could feel his frustration.

The branding he produced on the Energy Drink task was gob-smackingly dire and his questions for the board game were so nonsensically bad as to be unusable for anything other than car crash value. Both were a large part of why those tasks were lost, if not the major reason. By contrast, nothing that Bianca has done has caused a loss, as far as I can remember, although she's made multiple mistakes as a saleswoman.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    BMLisa wrote: »
    I actually agreed with him Roisin and Bianca as a pair were dull dull dull.
    Roisin's approach is very professional. She does not tell them too much that they already know and does not come across as condescending or wasting time and speaking for the sake of it.

Compared to the others she comes across as having actually done negotiations.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think he got swapped by The Lord because he knew Daniel would be the target if that team lost. He wanted to ensure each team had a lamb he could slaughter should they lose. He'd lined up Sanjay as the lamb in one team, and maybe Solomon or Bianca as the lamb in the other.

I honestly think he got swapped because there was a personality clash between him and Mark (and, to a certain extent, Katie) which was doing nobody any good. LS can't really get an idea of how good someone is if they are constantly at each others' throats for personal reasons.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rutakateki wrote: »
    You reckon God was behind it? ;-)

I don't think he was lucky- I reckon he's going to get absolutely roasted next week. I think he'd have done better being fired. That's my guess anyway. I reckon he's this year's "You're not even a fish" candidate.

I think so too . I hate those interviews . There is no need for all that nastiness towards someone applying for a job .
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    The branding he produced on the Energy Drink task was gob-smackingly dire and his questions for the board game were so nonsensically bad as to be unusable for anything other than car crash value. Both were a large part of why those tasks were lost, if not the major reason. By contrast, nothing that Bianca has done has caused a loss, as far as I can remember, although she's made multiple mistakes as a saleswoman.

Added to which Daniel has the second worst record o Mark (if its not now equally bad) and Bianca,on just task results ,is equal with Roisin.

Lord Sugar has already queried his ability to do everything he has claimed expertise in, and labelled him as deluded. There's been very little unwriting of that conclusion. You could also add the hot tubs where Katie had to control Daniel ,or they would have lost the buyer. You also have skeletongate where Daniel totally went for thinking outside the box and couldn't be considered any less to blame than Felipe. It was a silly decision, by his Lordship, but there should have been a double firing that week on those grounds., or that team should have won. Claiming he hadn't gone for the idea ,and blamig Felipe, ought also to rule him out as a partner.

He's looking like cannon fodder for the interviews - which will probably leave a decent proposal his Lordhip doesn't want, and can claim is flawed, and one he can take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TBF the Skeleton was a "team effort" he told the sub team before buying it, what it was etc, and the "wholeheartedly" agreed with the purchase. On the other hand the rope bought by the sub team was a complete mess, and only down to them. Had they phoned Daniel and told him it was 1.7m, and he then let it slide, that too would be a "team effort"

Being on the loosing team doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things, look at Tom. It's contribution on task and BP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    Roisin's approach is very professional. She does not tell them too much that they already know and does not come across as condescending or wasting time and speaking for the sake of it.

Compared to the others she comes across as having actually done negotiations.

I don't deny she's professional, but it was dull. I really rate Roisin and would be happy for her to win, but I do believe Daniel injected life into their dull pitch.

Proven by the fact that the two orders came from the retailers where Daniel was involved.

Nil points from Asda and Roisin and Bianca's oh so professional and perfect pitch.

And Nick pointed out when Roisin tried to slate him that the retailers liked Daniel. Maybe if he'd been involved with Asda they'd have done even better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBF the Skeleton was a "team effort" he told the sub team before buying it, what it was etc, and the "wholeheartedly" agreed with the purchase. On the other hand the rope bought by the sub team was a complete mess, and only down to them. Had they phoned Daniel and told him it was 1.7m, and he then let it slide, that too would be a "team effort"

Being on the loosing team doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things, look at Tom. It's contribution on task and BP.

Definitely.

People often slated Tom for his record, but he almost always spotted mistakes and flawed strategies, but no one ever listened to him.

LS laid into him for it as well, but in the end if you're going to run a business it doesn't matter if team mates don't listen to you because you're in charge and you can implement your strategy rather than fighting to be heard.

Tom proved he could create a strategy. Spot flaws and mistakes and had great products and ideas.

The fact that other people thought he was a buffoon and ignored his valuable input is irrelevant when the contributions he was trying to make were very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You find that with a lot of creatives, they make the worst salespeople and struggle to push even their own products. They tend to let the product do the talking and don't feel the need to be all "shouty". Hence why they need a management/marketing/promotion team behind them, and many don't make it in their chosen field and end up broke.