Options

Wll there be a Doctor Who at the Proms this year?

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wondered if there is going to be a DW Proms this year? Or is Peter Capaldi too busy again with filming to do anything like this? :confused:

I would like there to be, as eventually it will appear on DVD in some way. :D

Comments

• Options
    Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see PC do the proms
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Would love to see PC do the proms

Me, too - he's magic with children. I hope there is one.:)
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there enough new music for a proms? Tbh I've not really noticed the music last series. Seems to have become quite insignificant and unnoticeable which is a shame.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Well there is the touring music show that seems to be a lot like the proms. Peter Davison is to be the host though I doubt there will be an appearance by the present Doctor.
  • Options
    Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I've not really noticed the music last series. Seems to have become quite insignificant and unnoticeable which is a shame.

its a Shame you missed it. it was great. Some of Golds best stuff. "Am I a good man", "Second chance etc"

It was a lot more creepy scary background stuff in series 8 too.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a Shame you missed it. it was great. Some of Golds best stuff. "Am I a good man", "Second chance etc"

Some glorious pieces from Into the Dalek - some of which could have been ripped straight from the classic series.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    The details of this year's proms season aren't announced until 23rd April.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    The details of this year's proms season aren't announced until 23rd April.

I didn't know that. I thought the details were already known. Another 2½ weeks to go then. :(

Even on the 23rd, the BBC may still not have the details of whether there is going to be a DW Proms.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't say I missed it rather I have not noticed it as much recently. I hear it while the show is on but its quickly forgotten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I thought the details were already known. Another 2½ weeks to go then. :(

Even on the 23rd, the BBC may still not have the details of whether there is going to be a DW Proms.

They release all the proms details then.

Actually I'd prefer a complete prom dedicated to the Radiophonic Workshop.

Meanwhile, Murray Gold's music for Doctor Who came 275th on the Classic FM Hall of Fame this weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They've released the schedule. There's no Who prom this year. The kids prom is just 10 famous classical pieces, nothing to do with any kids TV show (but hosted by Dick & Dom).

However, there is a prom featuring the music of Murray Gold composed for the series Life Story. It's hosted by Sir David Attenborough on Sunday 30 Aug 2015 - details here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/edxwhn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Symphonic Spectacular is also coming to the UK for the first time ever this year, filling the 'void' of a Doctor Who Prom.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/events/doctor-who-symphonic-spectacular/
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Well there is the touring music show that seems to be a lot like the proms. Peter Davison is to be the host though I doubt there will be an appearance by the present Doctor.

Wish that was coming to the Scarborough Open Air Theatre. Would be ideal for open air. The stupid council only care about the singing acts, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish that was coming to the Scarborough Open Air Theatre. Would be ideal for open air. The stupid council only care about the singing acts, though.

Nah, you just want everything to go there cos you live there. How about, I dunno, travelling out to places like loads of other people have to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, you just want everything to go there cos you live there. How about, I dunno, travelling out to places like loads of other people have to?

I do travel. But it's hard when you're literally the only person in the family who'd be interested in going. Plus, I'm already travelling to see Michael McIntyre at the Manchester Arena (all extra expense).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do travel. But it's hard when you're literally the only person in the family who'd be interested in going. Plus, I'm already travelling to see Michael McIntyre at the Manchester Arena (all extra expense).
    Then, no offence, but that's a shame. It happens. I can't go to it either, but oh well. No use in being upset that they won't come to my local home town just for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then, no offence, but that's a shame. It happens. I can't go to it either, but oh well. No use in being upset that they won't come to my local home town just for me.

I'm not upset, I just think the Council where I live are missing a trick by not booking this show. Would have attracted a lot of publicity for Scarborough and the open-air aspect would have somewhat added to the music's atmosphere.

The council where I live are very out of touch. Don't even have a multiscreen cinema.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a shame that there isn't a Doctor Who proms this year, lets hope there will be next year.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15/05/17 - 16:26 #21
    It appears that The Proms are no longer going to do those special Doctor Who, Sherlock and other BBC Drama and CBBC stuff for the foreseeable future.
    They feel that the experiments didn't bring in enough interest for other shows at The Proms.
    I'm not quite sure why they feel that way. Are they saying that although the themed concerts completely sold-out, not enough interest spilled over from those into other classical music concerts that didn't manage to sell-out? Were they after immediate results? Music tastes and discoveries grow it's a gradual process. If those concerts inspired even 5% of those attending to pick up an instrument for the first time and learn to play it, then surely that's a good thing. Ten years down the line, they could be in The Proms Academy or something similar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/20/bbc-proms-end-experiment-strictly-sherlock-audiences-fail-stick/
  • Options
    Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears that The Proms are no longer going to do those special Doctor Who, Sherlock and other BBC Drama and CBBC stuff for the foreseeable future.
    They feel that the experiments didn't bring in enough interest for other shows at The Proms.
    I'm not quite sure why they feel that way. Are they saying that although the themed concerts completely sold-out, not enough interest spilled over from those into other classical music concerts that didn't manage to sell-out? Were they after immediate results? Music tastes and discoveries grow it's a gradual process. If those concerts inspired even 5% of those attending to pick up an instrument for the first time and learn to play it, then surely that's a good thing. Ten years down the line, they could be in The Proms Academy or something similar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/20/bbc-proms-end-experiment-strictly-sherlock-audiences-fail-stick/

Lets be honest everything else about The Proms is boring as shit, people only go for BBC Dramas. If they want people to go see other shows then don't make it dull as.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lets be honest everything else about The Proms is boring as shit, people only go for BBC Dramas. If they want people to go see other shows then don't make it dull as.

To you maybe but to millions, it is not boring.
    Some of the best concerts I've watched from The Proms haven't had a BBC programme connection.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

There's going to be two proms in Hull, for city of culture. I'd love there to be a Dr who one in my home town....
  • Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I'd be happy with an S9 soundtrack album...
  • Options
    Forum Member

To you maybe but to millions, it is not boring.
    Some of the best concerts I've watched from The Proms haven't had a BBC programme connection.

Indeed, I usually go to a couple every year, but haven't been for the last 2 years - but will be going to the John Williams Prom [8] in July. It's being televised so you might see me on telly. :smile: