Options

DS Fantasy Eurovision 66: We're Singin' In Tehran, Just Singin' In Tehran...

AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
Forum Member
✭✭
... What a glorious feelin', we're happy again :) Thanks avb for the thread title!

So welcome everyone to Tehran! We are here because of Magic Giant, and their obviously culturally appropriate Let It Burn which won DSFE 65. I will take on the honour of hosting, however, Sri Lanka were one point away from winning, and as such, avb is co-hosting with me! *cheers from the crowd*

There are a few twists this contest, so please read ALL of the following points carefully before signing up.

The Rules

1. This is a picks contest. To sign up, PM me (not avb) with your list of top 5 countries that you'd like to have in Tehran, ranked 1-5, with 1 being the county you'd like the most. The list of countries available can be found here, although please be aware the rest of the world countries like Sri Lanka, Malaysia etc. will not be eligible for this contest. Australia, Iran, other Middle Eastern countries and North African countries are eligible.

2. Everyone will get at least one of their top 5 countries, and depending on how much overlap there is you may get two. If you list less than 5 countries, you may not get any of them. You have as much chance as getting your first choice as you do your fifth choice, so please make sure you really want all 5 before sending your list!

3. Sign-ups are open until Thursday 11th June at 6pm. Countries will be handed out soon after.

4. When you get your countries, for the first time ever we are giving you the option of sending in two songs for one of your countries! If you choose to do this, your two songs will be entered into a National Final specific to your country, so you'll only be against yourself. Other players in National Finals will then vote for the song of yours they prefer, and this will determine which of your songs for that country is actually chosen for the contest. This means you get to send in a song for that country knowing that it has at least some public support.

5. National Finals will be posted on the thread as soon as possible after you've chosen your songs. The deadline for all National Finals is 7pm on Sunday 14th June. Please note that all this is entirely optional, so if you just want to internally select one song for both your countries as usual, that is fine.

6. The deadline for internal selections will be Wednesday 17th June at 7pm. The QFs will then begin! avb and I will probably be hosting two each, and then one SF each, with avb hosting the Final.

Here are all the song eligibility rules copied from Rome in case you want a recap
1. The song must be performed by an artist who was born in or lives in the country, or has ancestry from that country. Ancestry links are acceptable up to grandparents. No random great-great-great grandparents please. If the connection isn't obv then please include some proof of eligibility when you send.
2. The song cannot exceed 5 minutes in length (sorry Sirusho).
3. The song cannot have been in the UK top 40 at the time you submit it. If it ends up in the top 40 at some point during this contest, then be aware some players will hate you.
4. Former Eurovision contestants are allowed, but cannot enter with the same song they performed in the contest, or at any national pre-selection.
5. The song must have been released after the year 2000.
6. Covers are allowed so long as the original obeys all the other rules. Usually around a third of the players will be angry you have sent a cover though.
7. No songs that have been entered into DSFE before. Please check the Wikia, exquisitely maintained by AxG, before you send your songs.

We'll get back to you with a schedule for the rest of the contest, and who to PM when etc., but for now, just PM your top 5 countries to me and not avb, thank you :3

Comments

• Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    I like the NFs idea :D Also why is avb hosting the final when you won 65? #curious
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fun idea about the NFs :)
  • Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    I like the NFs idea :D Also why is avb hosting the final when you won 65? #curious

I think it's because Alex wants to be surprised when he wins again! :D

Bonsoir, bienvenue à Téhéran, I will be your co-host for this contest, sporadically lapsing into foreign language, probably saying 'good morning Australia' an awful lot and occasionally being that annoying person asking the banal questions in the green room. #milf

Hope we get plenty of sign-ups, new players and returning players are very welcome, and interested to see how people make use of the twist, national final season will be upon us in only three days' time. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you've been practicing our interval duet, avb :)

Meanwhile, look at all the people who have signed up so far!

Alexos
    avb
    jackel1234
    kvn
    March Mornings
    stanld03
    AxG
    mikabv
    Carlisle156
    BethnalGreen
    poshbloke
    yoshi94
    jag02010
    Violetta Grange
    alwaysanigel247
    AcerBen
    aliyah101

And nice to see that not everyone has requested the obvious countries ;)
  • Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Alexos wrote: »
    I hope you've been practicing our interval duet, avb :)

Indeed I have, Iran is going to love it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6IKHZ4ovio
  • Options
    ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to change your countries after sending them?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will sign up tonight thinking what countries to request though first
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argh! I was all ready to leave until next NF season and then you add more cruel twists to keep me coming back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fLL6YZuXZg
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member

I think so, I changed mine soon after submitting first time round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, sorry, you can change your countries between now and Thursday's deadline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our cohort of 22 now looks like this:

Alexos
    avb
    jackel1234
    kvn
    March Mornings
    stanld03
    AxG
    mikabv
    Carlisle156
    BethnalGreen
    poshbloke
    yoshi94
    jag02010
    Violetta Grange
    alwaysanigel247
    AcerBen
    aliyah101
    nunaney
    ChickenFromKiev
    Shar_ds
    Cestrian18
    MiesBouwman
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that confuses me though what happens if someone has Sweden and enterer's 2 songs but someone with Gotland wants one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will still be first come, first serve, so in that situation the person with Gotland would have to send something else. I'd suggest the NF twist is mainly aimed at your 'bad' country, though, as it's harder to gauge what support will be like for their songs, usually. Everyone will have to judge for themselves what they want to do though :D
  • Options
    Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i signed up. i hope i win this time or ill stab someone. hear that avb and alexos? you want to have blood on your hands?

but in all seriousness, its so frustrating :( i want to take all the times im 20th in the final and exchange them all for one win. i would take a 5% qualification rate over this dry spell.

i havent heard anything back btw, is that right?
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to have to give this contest a miss, going on holiday on Saturday for a week and therefore don't really have time to go looking for songs, also need a little break to get my mojo back, my results of the last 2 contests have left me a little deflated to be honest.

I know I've dropped the ball a bit with the CofC wikia page, I will get that updated when I get back from my holiday. Hope when I return for contest 67 I can get myself back in the final.
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The songs I have lined up aren't 'quirky' female indie songs so hopefully other people have chosen to do join the anti-indie movement and revert things back to the variation that we all love in real life Eurovision. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope you have a good holiday, Terry, and sorry you (and Gwen) feel deflated. I feel if this is part of your reality TV edit you're about to have more success :3

Alexos
    avb
    jackel1234
    kvn
    March Mornings
    stanld03
    AxG
    mikabv
    Carlisle156
    BethnalGreen
    poshbloke
    yoshi94
    jag02010
    Violetta Grange
    alwaysanigel247
    AcerBen
    aliyah101
    nunaney
    ChickenFromKiev
    Shar_ds
    Cestrian18
    MiesBouwman
    Gwen 404
    phill363
    GreekFan
    robotpuppy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The songs I have lined up aren't 'quirky' female indie songs so hopefully other people have chosen to do join the anti-indie movement and revert things back to the variation that we all love in real life Eurovision. :)

I also found quite a few of the songs very samey last edition, which I think is part of the reason why I ended up a bit disconnected with it in the end.

I was happy someone else felt the same way, though I was very surprised it was you as I felt you were quite instrumental in the start of the indie movement. Nice to know your back on board on the other side now. :D
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen 404 wrote: »
    i signed up. i hope i win this time or ill stab someone. hear that avb and alexos? you want to have blood on your hands?

but in all seriousness, its so frustrating :( i want to take all the times im 20th in the final and exchange them all for one win. i would take a 5% qualification rate over this dry spell.

i havent heard anything back btw, is that right?

Gwen, you've had TWO WINS. I've only ever had ONE TOP 5. Consider yourself very lucky.

Btw, the only way to curse your spell is to give me twelve points in every round until I win :D;-)
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    I also found quite a few of the songs very samey last edition, which I think is part of the reason why I ended up a bit disconnected with it in the end.

I was happy someone else felt the same way, though I was very surprised it was you as I felt you were quite instrumental in the start of the indie movement. Nice to know your back on board on the other side now. :D

I'm still a supporter of the Indie movement just not when over 50% of the songs in a final sound identical, mix it up peoples!! :p
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've very rarely entered Indie, not really a fan of the genre tbh, although there have been some good Indie songs once in a while too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are re-watching the 1998 contest tonight, click on the link to join us and chat :)

http://www.watch2gether.com/rooms/eev5g9k3l3q2m3cf
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still a supporter of the Indie movement just not when over 50% of the songs in a final sound identical, mix it up peoples!! :p

This is mostly my mission. Haven't made it out if the QF's so far this year!
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Really like the NFs idea. So many times I've had to choose between 2 & picked the wrong one :mad:
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    Really like the NFs idea. So many times I've had to choose between 2 & picked the wrong one :mad:

Why the angry face? I know we all have been through it, but it is your choice after all? lol :D