Has a TV show ever filmed...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
Forum Member
Has a TV show ever filmed a full series, way ahead of it's broadcast. What I mean is has episodes been filmed in a certain year. Then the episodes have been broadcasted a couple of years after it being filmed? E.g say an example is the episode are broadcasted three years after it has been filmed.

Comments

• bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,839
    Forum Member
    i'm pretty sure there was a TV drama filmed with Zoe Lucker starring, called Bombshell? I think that aired a considerable time after it was filmed (if it was ever even aired - i can't recall)
  • idgwiatidgwiat Posts: 2,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly all TV series are filmed in entirety before broadcast, It was only a short while ago that filming was just finishing on the new series of New Tricks, introducing Larry Lamb as the replacement for Dennis Waterman in the final episode. It was then announced that the franchise had been cancelled. That series has yet to be aired. It is only soaps that are truly work in progress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    No I mean filmed YEARS before they are BROADCASTED/AIRED/
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it counts but Waterloo Road used to film 12-18 months ahead sometimes.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    No I mean filmed YEARS before they are BROADCASTED/AIRED/

I don't think anyone in the industry be it directors, producers, PR etc would deliberately film an entire series or a few series/seasons of something only to shelve them on purpose. The only thing I could think of is filming a series which then gets shelved or banned from airing for whatever reason and then the decision to shelve/ban it was overturned, though I don't have any examples or know if this has ever happened before.
  • NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Howerd made a series called Then Churchill Said to Me in 1982. It was due for broadcast but the outbreak of the Falklands War meant it was shelved (the wartime setting was deemed inappropriate) and the first broadcast was after Frankie's death in 1993

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Then_Churchill_Said_to_Me
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember about ten years ago ITV shelved a show called Jane Hall for about three years, when it finally screened in 2006 it was a minor hit, and there was demand for a second series but obviously in the intervening three years all the cast and crew had moved on so another series could not be made.