Comedies that gave you a lump in the throat.

xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One for me was the episode in the royal family when Barbara was brushing her mums hair in the last episode she was in. She was thanking her for not putting her in a home.

Also the episode when Rodney got married in only fools and horses and they played simply red and Del Boy shed a tear.

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    One for me was the episode in the royal family when Barbara was brushing her mums hair in the last episode she was in. She was thanking her for not putting her in a home.

Also the episode when Rodney got married in only fools and horses and they played simply red and Del Boy shed a tear.

Yes, that scene was quite sad as it marked a change in relationship between the 2 brothers and changed the direction in which the sitcom was heading.

I would say the 'over the top scene' in Blackadder Goes Forth is the most poignant scene and the ultimate end to any series. You realised that those poor men had no chance of coming out alive during World War I.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jurassic Bark from Futurama. Such loyalty. I miss my dog Sammy

MASH and Blakes death

Six Feet Under. That ending.
  • kopite77kopite77 Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final credits of Black Adder Goes Forth Last episode, the scene in the One Foot in the Grave Christmas Special 'Who's Listening' were young lads dad was meant to have been killed in a car accident at Christmas, the dad turns up in time for Christmas, he had been on a business trip and didn't know his car had been stolen, his wife and lads faces when he turned brought a lump to my throat.
    David Renwick the writer was excellent at that in One Foot in the Grave, a lot of the episodes had really bitter sweet moments which had a similar effect.:)
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    The final episode of The US Office is beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely, and I'm maybe alone in this, but the relationship between Ray and Robert in Everyone Loves Raymond. It's mostly played for laughs but occasionally there's a scene that catches you unawares.

It's very subtle and underplayed, the episode where Ray has a ride-along with Cop Robert on a nightshift and after an incident with a mugger realises his brother isn't a fool and a loser but a brave and decent man is very affecting.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    kopite77 wrote: »
    The final credits of Black Adder Goes Forth Last episode, the scene in the One Foot in the Grave Christmas Special 'Who's Listening' were young lads dad was meant to have been killed in a car accident at Christmas, the dad turns up in time for Christmas, he had been on a business trip and didn't know his car had been stolen, his wife and lads faces when he turned brought a lump to my throat.
    David Renwick the writer was excellent at that in One Foot in the Grave, a lot of the episodes had really bitter sweet moments which had a similar effect.:)

I agree about One Foot In The Grave!

I remember one that upset me: it was one where Victor came across an old people's home and he asked to use the phone (i think) and the staff were abusing the residents, kicking them and pulling them about and generally neglecting them and they (the staff) all ended up as scarecrows at the end.

It was quite dark and disturbing!

Also when Victor was killed in a hit and run and we saw his arm fall as he fell to the ground and then his cap floated away in a puddle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought Renwick ocassionally strayed into darker areas that were never expanded upon [ their child that died ] and in a sit-com felt uncomfortable.

Killing Victor off seemed unnecessary and overly dramatic.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

rfonzo wrote: »
    Yes, that scene was quite sad as it marked a change in relationship between the 2 brothers and changed the direction in which the sitcom was heading.

I would say the 'over the top scene' in Blackadder Goes Forth is the most poignant scene and the ultimate end to any series. You realised that those poor men had no chance of coming out alive during World War I.

Agree both of these plus

The Good Life. The last episode of the last series (although there was a Christmas special afterwards) when Tom and Barbara and Margot snd Jerry come back to Tom and Barbara's house after a celebration to discover they've been burgled and the place ransacked and there is graffitti on the walls. They are devastated and angry and are ready to give in at first but then Tom and Barbara vow to carry on.

Also the last scene of Dad's Army when the platoon have had to cut short Jones's wedding reception to Mrs Fox due to an alert. They still have the "champagne" from the wedding and are saying how they'd all fight to keep Britain safe and that they aren't the only ones, They then break the fourth wall to turn to the camera to raise their glasses to toast the real Home Guard.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    The final scenes of Scrubs were quite hard to watch, although the show was brought back almost instantly, I ignored that as for me the series ended with JD watching the future on the screen.

I always thought How I met Your Mother would be a sad ending and it was, but only because it literally ruined the show.

As for shows made closer to home, One Foot In The Grave gets another vote from me!
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    The final scenes of Scrubs were quite hard to watch, although the show was brought back almost instantly, I ignored that as for me the series ended with JD watching the future on the screen.

I always thought How I met Your Mother would be a sad ending and it was, but only because it literally ruined the show.

As for shows made closer to home, One Foot In The Grave gets another vote from me!

Yes. Count me in the annoyed camp for that one. Hated the ending.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideal - the massacre scene where they played Into One by Sol Seppy.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    There was another One Foot... ep that was rather sad: it was about a blind lonely old man who sold plastic dinosaurs.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several episodes of Jam and Jerusalem (even though that was more of a comedy drama than sitcom).
  • RoquentinRoquentin Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    There was a strange little scene in The Royle Family at Anthony's birthday party where Joe unexpectedly starts singing a lovely baritone version of 'I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen' and the song plays out in it's entirety. The moment gets undercut right at the end by Darren insisting: "You can still smell shit in here," but it's quietly affecting nonetheless.
  • TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Russell offered to marry Timmy in the Rules of Engagement finale to help him stay in the country.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some scenes in Early Doors are quite touching.
  • kwitiekwitie Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Only Fools and Horses - the episodes where Cassandra has her miscarriage.
    They went from comedy to tragedy brilliantly and, IMHO, pushed it into the realms of greatness.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Fools the one where Dell and Raquel have the baby,and Dell is holding him up to show his mum and talking about his dreams and stuff. That always gets me.
    The thing with OFAH was it was on so long and was so good that they became like our own family thats why they can floor you with a tender moment amidst the laughs.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member

These two get me every time. Good shout.

Also the last episode of 'Hi De Hi' got to me. :cry::cry:

The innocence of the '50s was about to change forever.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

This was what I thought of immediately on seeing your thread title. That one episode is a beautiful piece of work, as it really does nail the quiet inevitability of our parents getting old and dying. Barbara's face as her mum is talking to her is truly heartbreaking.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Marion and Geoff was full of pathos. It was tragic, sad, uplifting and utterly hilarious.

One of my favourites.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Strangely, and I'm maybe alone in this, but the relationship between Ray and Robert in Everyone Loves Raymond. It's mostly played for laughs but occasionally there's a scene that catches you unawares.

It's very subtle and underplayed, the episode where Ray has a ride-along with Cop Robert on a nightshift and after an incident with a mugger realises his brother isn't a fool and a loser but a brave and decent man is very affecting.

I remember that being quite touching, although I thought it slightly spoilt it when Ray wrote his column about it, and Ray and Robert's mom berates Robert for taking him along? I think!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancing Queen with Rik Mayall and Helena Bonham Carter.

Oi... Neil. :D
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a scene in a Steptoe episode where Harold is trying to get rid of Albert and leaves him in an old folks' home (he does go back for him). No dialogue but great performance by Wilfrid Brambell.

On the final scene in Blackadder: they could only do one take because studio time was running out so they had to slomo it to fill the slot.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    The only one that did it every episode for me, while still being funny, was Derek. The one where his dad came back, especially.