Best American Drama Tv Series over the years

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wire is the best one to me IMHO.

Nurse Jackie is coming on nicely at the moment I think too.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5: Lost (Only seen the first two seasons before that amoral company s*y stole it)
    4: The X Files
    3: Twin Peaks
    2: Prison Break
    1: Oz.

Oz was a brutal and shocking HBO prison drama which paved the way for the Sopranos and influenced all the other American dramas made since. it's ironic Oz has gone tragically overlooked while the Sopranos got so much attention from critics and the mainstream media, when Oz was actually the first hour long drama produced for HBO, was more violent and actually more of the programme the Sopranos was made out to be. Oz influenced every American drama made since, but it's the ones made since that get all the attention! I suppse that's the price you pay for being the first of your kind and being packed with adult content! It's by far the best programme ever made, nothing else comes close.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Simple: The West Wing. Nothing else comes close.

We have the correct answer.........

Superb characters, great storylines, consistently good (I saw no drop off at all).

Even in a quieter or more complex episode (the ones that depended on the machinery of government in the US - which often required some quite 'dry' scripts) there would always be a sting in the tail.

Next best - Band of Brothers.

Tried The Sopranos but by the end of the 1st series didn't care for any of the characters, what they said or what they did.

The Wire is OK but I never finished an episode with the same 'wow' feeling as I often did with 'Wing' - and never rushed to see the next episode.

As for Lost and Twin Peaks - drivel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    The West Wing
    ER (earlier seasons)
    Hill Street Blues
    The X-Files (before they got bogged down with the alien conspiracy story, I always preferred the stand-alone/kooky episodes)
    CSI: New York
    CSI: Las Vegas (again, I preferred it before Grissom left)
    St Elsewhere (surprised it hasn't been mentioned before)
    Band of Brothers (and I don't normally like war drama)
    Law and Order (the Jerry Orbach episodes)
    Fringe

I have never got into Lost - I "lost" my way very early on and didn't have the patience to carry on with it.

Never got into The Sopranos or The Wire. Felt they were a little overhyped to be honest.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The West WIng
    Band Of Brothers
    Deadwood
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    There are obvious classics such as The West Wing, Six Feet Under and Dexter. Personally my two favourites are The Wire and Grey's Anatomy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Law & Order: SVU
    southofnowhere
    america's next top model
    CSI: Las Vegas (before Grissom etc. left)
    Dexter
    Bones
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    welshbec79 wrote: »
    There are obvious classics such as The West Wing, Six Feet Under and Dexter. Personally my two favourites are The Wire and Grey's Anatomy.

I loved Grey's for the first three seasons, the fourth was okay but since then I've almost given up.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I'd say The Sopranos, Damages(First two seasons only - sorry I didn't like the third), The Good Wife, 24, Dexter.

From the past I would say Twin Peaks. Without it things like Lost and Carnivale wouldn't have got made!
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, Mad Men only getting one mention so far? :confused:

Dexter and Nurse Jackie also for me plus Grey's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved Grey's for the first three seasons, the fourth was okay but since then I've almost given up.
    I know what you mean about Grey's - it has tailed off since the first few seasons. However I still think it is very well written.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also Nurse Jackie is outstanding........
  • Options
    Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    What, Mad Men only getting one mention so far? :confused:

Dexter and Nurse Jackie also for me plus Grey's

Mad Men is outstanding, count me in as a fan:D

Others I like or have liked:

Hill Street Blues
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Six Feet Under
    Twin Peaks
    I'll Fly Away (was shown on C4 years ago but only lasted one season)
    NYPD Blue
    Knots Landing (was surprisingly good for a soap - the actors improvised much of the time too)
    Dexter
    Nurse Jackie
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know it will make me seem incredibly shallow, but as well as all the usual suspects listed previously, I'd like to add The L Word. I tuned in for the hot ladies, I kept watching because it's blooming excellent drama.