Has The Million Pound Drop been axed?

Comments

• Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody will ever win that £1,000,000 on that show. Ever.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    Nobody will ever win that £1,000,000 on that show. Ever.

Someone did win the top prize on the German version
  • jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    shouldn't be axed. why axe the good shows and keep garbage shows like x factor and doi

The X Factor, Dancing on Ice and Million Pound Drop are produced by different companies and the latter is broadcast on a different channel to the others so I don't know why you've linked it to them. Also what you like doesn't necessarily reflect everyone else's opinion.
    tothegrand wrote: »
    What about the bank job? That was quite good. Watching people trying to trick each other and loosing everything because of greed was quite funny.

I agree that was funny (this is the best bit). And so was watching the presenter; he was really incompetent IMO.
  • Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it has been axed, I would not care.

The programme had a good concept, sadly spoiled by the terrible presentation.

Set.

Rather uncomfortable looking with the audience far away, in the dark, high up and oddly standing. Too many lasers. A small central podium for no apparent reason, together with too small 'drop zones'. Every element was too far away from each other, I much prefer a traditional studio set up. The 'move your money' idea is pointless, the money lost should be shown electronically. This will allow the game to proceed much faster and thus should be more exciting. The 'money' could have been given to the contestants in a traditional glass suitcase should they have won.

Music.

The music is horrible, too loud with too many choir and string elements and is rather feminine. Why not have a more normal electronic arrangement 'dark' gameshows generally have? The over use of sound effects which often do not match the transition of the graphics. Use a much simpler underscore during the minute countdown, this would provide far more 'tension' than the overly produced version the programme used.

Graphics.

They were too dull in my opinion. The use of red and white in such a dark environment was an odd choice. Other dark gameshows also used dark graphics. The programme also needs a proper title sequence, not a long film describing the game as though the viewers couldn't understand the format. The question graphic should be present on screen, along with the possible answers, at all times, whether the screen in the studio is visible or not (another set flaw). This will also speed up the game by not having to 'swivel' the camera between the answers on the four 'drop zone' screens. One last thing, the font used for the questions and answers is rather boring to look at, next time, use a font with more distinction.

Format.

Overall, the format is okay and doesn't really need changing. Other than reducing the overly long 'tension' pauses.

Presenter.

I find Davina to be far too jolly for what should be a 'dark' gameshow. The programme needs someone who can create genuine tension without the need for said long pauses.

So please, Channel 4, should the series be coming back, please take note of my points, thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Someone did win the top prize on the German version

I suspect the calibre of contestants must be considerably higher. Wouldn't be difficult would it?

It just sprung to mind actually, I think the reason they can't screen million pound drop at the moment is because all of the contestants are currently appearing in the Sky Go iPad advert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I hope it isn't axed but when it returns, can we please have some older contestants, preferably people over-30 who don't look like extras off TOWIE.

Does anyone remember a pair of dunces who came on & lost all their money because they thought Roger Bannister was 'the first person to put the toilet seat up'? *facepalm*
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

5/10 her bottom is far from perfect in my eyes. to big. and needs to be small and round. and fleshy.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was said at the end of the last series, that it would be back later in the year. Can't remember exactly but it sounded like it was going to take a longer break than it had been doing.

Agree it's a good format but it needs a few tweaks. Moving the money is an important element as it gives something to watch during the contestants' thinking time and you have the (albeit small) risk that they don't move it all in time.

My biggest issue is the questions. Too many are showbiz/celebrity/today's papers type stuff, they need to make them more WWTBAM quality and drop the random, pot-luck, obscure, guessing questions at the very end.

Apart from that, they need to find a way to speed the whole thing up a tad, as I find there's too many slow bits where I can fast-forward if I've recorded it or pick up the newspaper if it's on live.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor, Dancing on Ice and Million Pound Drop are produced by different companies and the latter is broadcast on a different channel to the others so I don't know why you've linked it to them. Also what you like doesn't necessarily reflect everyone else's opinion.

I agree that was funny (this is the best bit). And so was watching the presenter; he was really incompetent IMO.

i could've linked any rubbish show. doesn't have to be produced by the same company or same channel. x factor should've been axed years ago and it's losing viewers
  • MandyXZMandyXZ Posts: 86,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i could've linked any rubbish show. doesn't have to be produced by the same company or same channel. x factor should've been axed years ago and it's losing viewers

So shows should be axed cos you think they are rubbish? :rolleyes:
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MandyXZ wrote: »
    So shows should be axed cos you think they are rubbish? :rolleyes:

of course.
  • MandyXZMandyXZ Posts: 86,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course.

Just as well it's not down to you then, ain't it? :p
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with The Million Pound Drop, like many others have already said, is that 90% of the questions are p*ss easy or based on the Twitter ramblings of some non-entity celeb.

And yet, despite this, the dumbos they get on the show still manage to blow half a million on question one, or a quarter of a million on something incredibly obvious.

If they actually posed questions that required some genuine intelligence none of the contestants they choose would ever win a thing.

So, rather than the show carrying the sort of tension that people playing for £1m should, viewers with any ounce of intelligence or general knowledge just find themselves sighing or ranting at the staggering idiocy of the contestants.

But sadly, as has also been pointed out, this is clearly what the producers are happy with, because they plainly choose contestants based on age and looks and (lack of) intelligence.

I think the show would be more of a hit, like Millionaire, The Chase, Pointless etc. if they actually had a few intelligent contestants and a few serious questions.

I still watch the show, because I enjoy playing quizzes along at home, but it's increasingly less enjoyable due to the contestants' dizziness/chaviness/idiocy and the triviality/banality of the questions.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    My problem with The Million Pound Drop, like many others have already said, is that 90% of the questions are p*ss easy or based on the Twitter ramblings of some non-entity celeb.

That is a flaw of the game for me. 90% of the questions are easy. They either have daft alternatives or are common knowledge or can be worked out, by anyone reasonably competent.
    Then some arsey question such as the one mentioned about Russell Brand and his tea drinking, or what came first McNuggets or some other fast food. Then the previous rounds are undone.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a flaw of the game for me. 90% of the questions are easy. They either have daft alternatives or are common knowledge or can be worked out, by anyone reasonably competent.
    Then some arsey question such as the one mentioned about Russell Brand and his tea drinking, or what came first McNuggets or some other fast food. Then the previous rounds are undone.

as has been pointed out a lot of the questions, especially for the big £££'s are not really general knowledge but totally random and you have to end up guessing it. The cheaper easier questions tend to be about some twitter rants or what was in the Sun newspaper earlier that day.

They really need to change the contestant profile as i do like the interactive element of the show.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lukey89 wrote: »
    It hasn't been axed! It's back later March/April.

They just gave it a few months, as it was coming on practically 5 weeks after the previous series finished.

Ah! That's good then.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    They should have waited until the big shows aren't on as I'll end up struggling to watch the Saturday show because the likes of BGT will be on, unless they push it back to 10pm.
  • smurfs5smurfs5 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    They should have waited until the big shows aren't on as I'll end up struggling to watch the Saturday show because the likes of BGT will be on, unless they push it back to 10pm.

Agreed. They used to try and compete against the likes of BGT and The Voice and it was never going to work. Alan Carr has the 10pm Friday night slot occupied for the next while so maybe an 8:45-10pm show on Friday and 10-11:40pm on Saturdays. Less of the 2 hour+ marathons as well.
    It needed a break but I do love the show and I'm glad it's back. It's just a shame that the contestants are consistently moronic. I'll always remember the two idiots who put money on "Royal Twit Of The Year Steeplechase" as being the race that takes place at Aintree. :rolleyes:
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also what about The Bank Job or whatever it was called? (The one in the bank vault with that Lamb bloke)

It's hasn't been seen for some time now.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my biggest bug bearers about the show was that it was "The Million Pound Drop Live" but they still felt it was important to stick a LIVE DOG on screen. Surely the clue is in the title of the programme!
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an older viewer I think that the MPD was simply not aimed at me. The contestants, the questions, the studio audience, the music, the fact that I could not hear a lot of what Davina said over the background noises, all made me realise that it they did not expect anyone of my age to be watching

Fair enough, there are lots of programmes that are watchable by old people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Apparently people were dying of excitement all over the British Isles with three noted deaths in Dusseldorf too.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smurfs5 wrote: »
    Agreed. They used to try and compete against the likes of BGT and The Voice and it was never going to work. Alan Carr has the 10pm Friday night slot occupied for the next while so maybe an 8:45-10pm show on Friday and 10-11:40pm on Saturdays. Less of the 2 hour+ marathons as well.
    It needed a break but I do love the show and I'm glad it's back. It's just a shame that the contestants are consistently moronic. I'll always remember the two idiots who put money on "Royal Twit Of The Year Steeplechase" as being the race that takes place at Aintree. :rolleyes:

I couldn't believe the guys who put money on the twit of the year steeplechase :eek: .

I like the MPD but I do wonder why they need to only have young contestants who don't seem to have much general knowledge. Do they think young people will switch off if they happen to have someone over 35 on? I think it would be much more exciting if there was a mix of contestants, there would be more tension like in the early days of who wants to be a millionaire when you were waiting for the first million pound winner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    lukey89 wrote: »
    It hasn't been axed! It's back later March/April.

They just gave it a few months, as it was coming on practically 5 weeks after the previous series finished.

It's almost the end of March.. There's been no announcement. It's not going to be on this month or next?
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was on Twitter, 6 hours ago (from the time of this post), today:
    @belowthedrop Hello old friend. We're back later this year...sit tight! #millionpounddrop

So no, it's not been axed.