Dental advice and possible complaint?

morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Husband has needed some work done on two teeth for at least six months.

In that time his dentist has cancelled his appointment on the day it was due to be done three times. They say its due to unforeseen circumstances but upon digging, the dentist "is ill" He has already part paid for work that has still not been started.
It is a large surgery with plenty of dentist but he is not offered appointment with another.

So, two queries, good people of DS. Would you complain, and who too? I don't think any office manager at the dentist would be interested as the impression we have got is that it is a closed shop. So is there a dental ombudsman or the like that we could flag this up with.

Second query. I read on DS a few days ago that you no longer have to register with a dentist, and you can simply go to them once for the work. Did I read this right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Comments

• thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would most definitely complain about delays to dental work - I had a crown put in earlier this year and from crack to completion it took eight weeks. In my case it was totally necessary and I was happy she took the time to get it right, but it was a miserable experience - eight weeks of awkward eating and tooth worry.

I don't know about registering, but why would you wish to NOT register? Unless you mean for a private dentist who charges you a monthly fee? My OH was over paying for dental subscriptions, which weren't worth it as he has good teeth anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd contact the practice manager, complain, get a refund and register elsewhere. Not sure where the not registering comes from, I had to yesterday with a new dentist! What is true is that you can stay registered with a dentist even if you move out of area as I found out when I left my last town.

Its not on to cancel on the day, once is fine, everyone gets ill but three times makes me feel the dentist felt he wasn't confident to do the work, of course that may not be true, coincidences do happen!
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is more than happy to register elsewhere. I just hope he can find a surgery that will take him on. Not registering just meant was it possible for him to go to any dentist as time is not on his side. Obviously the work needs to be done asap. It's a crown and a filling. The crown side has broken down even more with the delay so it may transpire he ends up losing the tooth. I'm pretty horrified by the service he has got so far, or not got as the case may be.

Thanks for your input!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx find dentists who are registering new patients here! They don't ask about current dentition on the forms as that would be discriminatory, so he'll find someone if there is anyone locally with spaces. Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS I registered yesterday and was told I could book appointments from today with my new dentist (and doctor as I done both in one day). He should be quick if he gets there soon!
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's just fab Magenta! Many MANY thanks. I'm on it like a car bonnet!