Do you agree or disagree with Greg Rutherford r.e. Nelson Mandela?

Comments

• DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if one does care that he's died, why should you have to watch about it on TV? I'm watching CSI. My choice in TV watching has no bearing on my respect for NM or his passing. The marvellous thing about modern TV is that we can go with the 'flow' and watch what is broadcast live, or pick and choose what we watch on 'demand'. I may never watch a NM obit prog, doesn't mean I don't recognise what he did. Same for everyone else, twitter active athletes included.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Twatter thread, is my life not tedious enough without polluting DS with the inane witterings of inane people ?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The poor lad has done for himself now. He'll get the mindless idiots on Shitter bombarding him with all kinds of inane grief.
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela's death was not 'tragic' - he was 95, for Pete's sake!

The media are going overboard about this. The last time there was blanket coverage like this was when Diana died, but her death was tragic because she was only 36.

Diana was a spoilt aristo who died because she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Mandela changed the world.

I think I know which one deserves blanket coverage.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Person Writes Something on Twitter.

Have the Police been informed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Facebook is littered with these posts as well, many of them unable to spell his name correctly - what a tribute.

Then again, it's the same on a lot of forums as those who dare to say anything controversial are either criticised by members. Or have their posts deleted. All you seem to be allowed to do is express an outpouring of feigned grief with a string of posts that go something like ' RIP :( '
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's "twitter"?
    Something to do with twits
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know not of this individual.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know not of this individual.

Understandably. He won a gold medal for GB in 2012 Olympics. Before that most people had never heard of him. As a result of said performance thousands of people follow him on Twitter presumably to get some inspirational sound bites now and again from a supreme Olympian? (Sarcasm on) Instead they read he's actually a bit of a prat.

To be honest I never understand twitter follow lark.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    If Greg Rutherford (who he?) was being physically forced at gunpoint to watch the news I'd maybe summon up a smidgin of sympathy.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Life is getting more and more like Ben Elton's book Blind Faith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Faith_(novel)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not in the wrong because he doesn't want to watch the news, he's wrong in the way he approached the situation. It is clear that Mandela means a lot to people, and he knows fine well that his tweet is going to get a negative reaction.

He's been in the papers the last few days about a potential change in career. I'm guessing he just wants the attention.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's "twitter"?

An asylum for twits.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook is littered with these posts as well, many of them unable to spell his name correctly - what a tribute.

Then again, it's the same on a lot of forums as those who dare to say anything controversial are either criticised by members. Or have their posts deleted. All you seem to be allowed to do is express an outpouring of feigned grief with a string of posts that go something like ' RIP :( '
    Like this one for example?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    He's not in the wrong because he doesn't want to watch the news, he's wrong in the way he approached the situation. It is clear that Mandela means a lot to people, and he knows fine well that his tweet is going to get a negative reaction.

He's been in the papers the last few days about a potential change in career. I'm guessing he just wants the attention.

He's probably just bitter that very few people remember who he is. To most he's just that ginger guy who won the long jump on that fantastic night. Time to sign up for Strictly or a couple of weeks in the jungle.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    I prefer Mike Rutherford. I loved Mike and the Mechanics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    How can you disagree with someone not wanting to watch the news, which must have been a Mandella-fest at the time? Can't we, as a society, acknowledge a person's death without wallowing in it any more?
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just confirms that twitter is for teenagers
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Like this one for example?

Fortunately for me, this isn't the Mandela commiseration thread, where we must all keep our heads bowed and not smile once.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rutherford is entitled to his opinion.

I'm willing to bet that most people couldn't care less what he thinks anyway.
    Forum Member
    Rutherford is entitled to his opinion.

I'm willing to bet that most people couldn't care less what he thinks anyway.

They don't. That's why people like him are on Twitter as they try and get the attention that is sapping away from them.

He probably saw how Katie Hopkins is doing so well for herself after her Apprentice stint and thought "I'll have me some of that".
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    He's not forced to watch the news but neither is he forced to tell people that he doesn't want to. We really don't need to know.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't. That's why people like him are on Twitter as they try and get the attention that is sapping away from them.

He probably saw how Katie Hopkins is doing so well for herself after her Apprentice stint and thought "I'll have me some of that".

That's a very good point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we supposed to be he having an opinion on if some bloke watches the news or not?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately for me, this isn't the Mandela commiseration thread, where we must all keep our heads bowed and not smile once.
    What is there to smile about?

Plenty of critical posts on the Nelson Mandela has died thread by the way.