Inheritance question

13»

Comments

• CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But as has been mentioned already, it's not always that simple. My husband tried with his daughter, to no avail because the mother basically told him to leave them alone. They just don't know each other, he's tried contacting her over the years, she doesn't want to know. Even though her grandparents (who she used to visit a lot) are now ill, she's no longer interested In his side of the family. That's up to her, she is a grown woman now.

But in this case, I'll be damned if some woman decided she was owed an inheritance all of a sudden of some sort from my husband when he dies.

Exactly, :)

But in any case just make sure there is a will in place then that can't happen. :cool:
  • erasmus01erasmus01 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Gonna be a right hoot if the dad outlives the son.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    But in any case just make sure there is a will in place then that can't happen. :cool:

But it can happen. (In the US, John Grisham, who writes about lawyers, has managed to write two long novels about exactly that: people contesting wills.)

I don't know if it would help, but perhaps certain people can be specifically excluded in the wording of the will, with reasons, rather than not mentioning them at all. Because once a person has died, it would be easier for an estranged child etc to claim the relationship was closer than it actually was.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    But it can happen. (In the US, John Grisham, who writes about lawyers, has managed to write two long novels about exactly that: people contesting wills.)

I don't know if it would help, but perhaps certain people can be specifically excluded in the wording of the will, with reasons, rather than not mentioning them at all. Because once a person has died, it would be easier for an estranged child etc to claim the relationship was closer than it actually was.

1. Consider whether the average Joe can raise even a fraction of the legal costs that would be involved.
    2. Yes, wills often specifically state why person x or y is not going to get anything.
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »

If the op was excluded from the will he could contest it but, as an adult, he has no automatic right to inherit a share of the estate, no matter how close they were ( unless he was financially dependant on the father, which he is not).

The size of the estate and the estrangement would be taken in to account as would any wishes expressed by the father in the will. The Op can't claim for reasonable provision, because the father has never supported him financially, so any claim would be unlikely to get very far unless the estate was very big.

Even where the estate is large, he may not get what he wants, as in this case
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8419150/Daughter-cut-out-of-mothers-will-for-naming-her-child-badly.html

However, what no one has considered, is that the father may well have made a will and made provision for the OP in it. A solicitor may well advise him, if the estate is substantial, to make a reasonable gesture.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But in this case, I'll be damned if some woman decided she was owed an inheritance all of a sudden of some sort from my husband when he dies.

And that is why the op should be prepared for animosity from the new family who want to keep all the deceased cash and not expect to get anything but know their rights and check when the father does pop off - just in case they are entitled and the step family decide not to be open about it.