dog barking

karen_charnockkaren_charnock Posts: 1,597
Forum Member
✭✭✭
how can i stop my dog barking? i have a jack russell terrier who is 11 years old and her daughter who is 7 and also a yorkshire terrier. its the older jack russell who barks even if i laugh out loud and just barks for no reason

Comments

• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A colleague of mine lived next door to several very vocal dogs, she used a dog whistle every time they started barking and they quietened down after a week or so.

Found an article here:
    http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/stop-dog-barking-whistle-1763.html
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get this thread moved to the pets section you will find some experienced people who may be able to help you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrier's do have a habit of barking, try the under coller spray, you can get a water jet, it dies them no harm, and after awhile you just have to put it on without turning it on, Amazon
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At 11 years old the dog might be going a bit 'senile' or have had a 'brain event' such as a stroke or fit.

I have known several dogs who have become quite vocal in old age due to a combination of breed traits and confusion .

I would reassure him and calm him rather that using 'shock' training methods at this age.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how can i stop my dog barking?
    Shotgun. There's a couple around here need shutting up as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »

I feel that way about some of the feral children and youths where I live. No to mention some of the adults.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In most cases it's the owners who need shooting...
  • karen_charnockkaren_charnock Posts: 1,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would you shoot a member of your family? have you got pets? she is very good apart from the barking and she hasnt had a stroke
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would you shoot a member of your family? have you got pets? she is very good apart from the barking and she hasnt had a stroke

Yes to both (depending on the situation, my dad wanted one of us to shoot him when he was dying of lung cancer but that's another story).
    I've had dogs and cats all my life but for the past 3 years we've had to put up with a neighbour who has had a random collection of dogs, all of which left outside in all weathers, sometimes left alone for a few days at a time, and all of which bark at all hours. Council have failed to do anything and the RSPCA were turned away at the door so couldn't do anything and haven't yet been back with the police and he's intimidated other neighbours who have complained about him so you'll forgive me if, after 3 years of putting up with his nonsense, I feel like shooting him rather than his helpless dogs.

Oh, and maybe you should stroke your dog. Show it some love.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    our dogs are left for a maximum of half an hour at the most and i do stroke my dogs. they are well looked after and had no complaints from the neighbours after all this time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would you shoot a member of your family?
    Nah, humans are people.

But dogs that aren't being properly controlled should be disposed of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she hasnt always had a barking problem, its only the last few months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she hasnt always had a barking problem, its only the last few months

Perhaps she's going deaf?
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years back, I bought a dog zapper online, for a persistent ferocious barking dog next door. It's probably illegal now, but it was brilliant. I only had to point the device towards the neighbouring garden, for the dog to instantly stop barking. It was probably immensely cruel, but it worked.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »
    At 11 years old the dog might be going a bit 'senile' or have had a 'brain event' such as a stroke or fit.

I have known several dogs who have become quite vocal in old age due to a combination of breed traits and confusion .

I would reassure him and calm him rather that using 'shock' training methods at this age.

Exactly as above. My otherwise healthy 15 old dog has been showing signs of confusion for about six months and cries out at me (for attention), every five minutes or so. (Some days are better than others for her). She also misses my husband who died last month, so this is compounding her confusion. All you can do is keep reassuring your dog that's everything's ok. :)

Perhaps a trip the the vets might be helpful, to rule out illness.:)
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Nah, humans are people.

How insightful.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Years back, I bought a dog zapper online, for a persistent ferocious barking dog next door. It's probably illegal now, but it was brilliant. I only had to point the device towards the neighbouring garden, for the dog to instantly stop barking. It was probably immensely cruel, but it worked.
    If only I had known about those when my neighbour had a dog like that. I wonder if they work through house walls.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, humans are people.

So shoot the dog and the owner gets a new dog.
    Shoot the owner and problem solved
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    sorry but all barking dogs should be muzzled i ,lived next door to a barking dog,so i brought the owner a muzzle to keep it quiet, a week later the dog was gone no more barking..........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i brought the owner a muzzle to keep it quiet
    Should have bought one for the dog as well :)