Options

Glee (US Pace) (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only meant to select the post by huggzy i've put bold into in my last post! Sorry!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue was an absolute bitch. I don't think they could have ever made a bigger mistake than this with her character. It literally removes all the good she's done in my eyes, and it completely negates the whole "You didn't lose" speech to Will because in her eyes, those kids are still Losers. I think it was possibly lazy, lazy writing to use her. Because really, after Finn dying, I don't think she'd be stupid enough to be so horrible. I think they just needed someone to be the face of all Rachel's demons so she could then take them down in person like she did. I even think Cassandra July would have been better. (I understand getting Kate back would have been way more difficult though..)

Sue stopped being a credible character after they reset her personality for Season 2 and onwards. She could have gone back to being mean in S4 and horrible to the new ND because they'd never done anything for her but she shouldn't have kept going after them.

In S1 I know that Sue targeted Rachel a few times with Cabaret and setting Santana and Brittany onto Finn in "The Power of Madonna" but I did think that Rachel's line about how Sue made her life hell was a little bit much given that Sue didn't directly go after Rachel all that often. If Rachel had said "our lives" then it would be fine but of all the characters in Glee, I don't think Sue was the person who caused Rachel the most trouble. I agree that Cassie July would have been good (but they ended her story quite neatly at the end of S4 with her congratulating Rachel on her audition). Another possibility would have been to have Carmen Tibideaux be the person to go after Rachel in that way but I think we've likely seen the last of her given that Rachel returning to NYADA is basically long gone as a possibility now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Caught up with this weeks episode. I loved it ,definitely one of my favourites of season 5 .It felt like an old school episode of Glee for me .
    I loved Lea/Rachel's facial expressions singing lovefool they cracked me up ,and it was nice to see some familiar faces in the dream sequence .
    It was great having Santana back ,I had missed her in the last few episodes ,her exit from the taxi was brilliant :D
    I thought it was a really nice touch that it was Santana who was able to help Rachel overcome her nerves .
    The conversation between Rachel and Mr Shue in the dressing room really pulled at my heartstrings .
    I loved how they shot the sequence of Rachel making her way to the stage ,I thought they captured the energy perfectly ,I felt nervous for her.
    I thought Lea was amazing in this episode she conveyed every emotion that Rachel was feeling so well.
    The Only thing I didn't like about the episode was Sue's story line ,I didn't feel it was necessary or added anything to the episode (Always great to see Jane lynch though)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huggzy wrote: »
    Sue stopped being a credible character after they reset her personality for Season 2 and onwards. She could have gone back to being mean in S4 and horrible to the new ND because they'd never done anything for her but she shouldn't have kept going after them.

In S1 I know that Sue targeted Rachel a few times with Cabaret and setting Santana and Brittany onto Finn in "The Power of Madonna" but I did think that Rachel's line about how Sue made her life hell was a little bit much given that Sue didn't directly go after Rachel all that often. If Rachel had said "our lives" then it would be fine but of all the characters in Glee, I don't think Sue was the person who caused Rachel the most trouble. I agree that Cassie July would have been good (but they ended her story quite neatly at the end of S4 with her congratulating Rachel on her audition). Another possibility would have been to have Carmen Tibideaux be the person to go after Rachel in that way but I think we've likely seen the last of her given that Rachel returning to NYADA is basically long gone as a possibility now.

It's funny, for all the obstacles that have been faced, it's pretty easy to see why they've struggled to find someone that would really cause problems for Rachel. I mean who tormented Rachel personally?

She had implied problems with Quinn and the other cheerios to begin with, though lots of them really went away after the whole pregnancy thing. After that all there really was was things over Finn, and all their problems were eventually resolved and they're now friends.
    Then there's Santana, but that was all over and done with before Santana went off after the 100 so that wouldn't work without undoing that, and I think ruining her opening night would really make Santana unforgivable in most people's eyes.
    Then Cassandra was resolved too like you say (I do still think she would have made much more sense but they kind of shot themselves in the foot there.) and Carmen wouldn't have mattered.

I can't really think of anyone else she had problems with. Well maybe Becky, but no more than anyone else with her. It's funny for a main character, her torment was mostly always part of the Glee club's torment and not personal, especially in her later school years. Whereas the likes of Kurt, Santana, Quinn, Unique and even Finn all got it on more personal levels (Kurt's bullying, Santana's grandmother and outing, Quinn's pregnancy and Lauren's Lucy reveal, Unique's trans and Finn's treatment frmo Santana and the other football players).

The only other thing I could think of doing was something sort of similar, but not cruel, with Shelby. If she was there and she got a call from Beth's babysitter and had to rush off, it could really shake Rachel up, and bring back a whole feeling of abandonment. But the problems with that are a) You'd need Idina, and b) it would be resolved with understanding rather than Rachel having an inspirational moment...
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been trying for ages to work out why I haven't been enjoying the recent episodes so much and I think it's because Glee always used to be about trying to defy the odds to achieve your dreams and I guess with New York so many dreams had been achieved that it just became a rambling story and didn't seem to have anywhere to go. Glee used to be about competition and fighting both each other, Sue, other glee clubs and God knows what else so I got to thinking that maybe they should have brought a character from Vocal Adrenaline or one of The Warblers to New York so that there was that competitive element still.

Really enjoyed Opening Night. Personally I'm really glad they threw in the random Sue storyline it added a bit of light relief. Had the episode been solely about Rachel I think it would have driven me mad. The Shue story seemed a bit pointless and the idea of sacking off a party thrown by the man who just gave you your career break to go to a gay bar was just plain rude and ridiculous!

A much better episdoe but still, I miss Becky, I miss Sue, I miss Coach Bieste, I miss Emma, I miss Santana, I miss Britney, I miss Figgins and I miss Roz Washington.

Fingers crossed for more characters cropping up soon, there is only so much of Mercedes, Kurt and Artie that I can take.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Also, I found it quite weird that if Emma was so close to popping anyway, why was Mr Schu away for the night? :p
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the birth was a missed opportunity given Emma's ocd it could have been traumatic, dramatic and then overwhelmingly wonderful. Also it's just plain weird for a teacher to name their child after a student.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    I think the birth was a missed opportunity given Emma's ocd it could have been traumatic, dramatic and then overwhelmingly wonderful. Also it's just plain weird for a teacher to name their child after a student.

Especially one who tried it on with her. :)

Memory loss seems to be a big problem with the Glee writers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think there's anything weird about that at all. Finn was so much more than just a student to Schue. He was like a son to him for a long time - Finn himself said that Will had become a father to him at the end of season 1. When we met both of them, Finn needing that male role model and Will needed to be it. And by season 4, they were undeniably very close friends, even through the whole Emma drama. He was his best man! And then Will lost him, which was shown to be very difficult in the tribute eps. So I really don't think there was any doubt that he'd not include Finn's name in his son's, not for his student but for his friend. :)
  • Options
    TutorGirl89TutorGirl89 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Santana being in Season 6 is looking very unlikely now if reports are to be believed
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Lea Michele but I'm getting the impression that she is the problem here, first we had a "rumoured" feud with Diana Aggron, who then got written out.
    Now we have a "rumoured" feud with Naya who seems to have also been randomly written out, what do these feuds have in common? Lemme think....oh yeah, Lea!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full thing on that here, though I've never heard of popwrapped before I'm not sure of it's reliability. Also spoilering

http://popwrapped.com/2014/04/29/naya-rivera-will-not-continue-as-santana-lopez-on-glee/

I do sort of agree with the 'No Naya No Glee' thing, she was my favourite in new york, and I think they'll really have to bring someone else in to fill her place. (NOT a recast, but a different character to add to the dynamic.) Rachel, Kurt, Sam, and the rest just mean something's missing - that was pretty clear as soon as Santana came back in opening night.

Also by that report it sounds as if hell has broken loose. HOWEVER Naya still tweeted 5 hours ago about how excited she is to see Glee tonight, so I don't think it'll be nearly as serious as it all seems
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full thing on that here, though I've never heard of popwrapped before I'm not sure of it's reliability. Also spoilering

http://popwrapped.com/2014/04/29/naya-rivera-will-not-continue-as-santana-lopez-on-glee/

I do sort of agree with the 'No Naya No Glee' thing, she was my favourite in new york, and I think they'll really have to bring someone else in to fill her place. (NOT a recast, but a different character to add to the dynamic.) Rachel, Kurt, Sam, and the rest just mean something's missing - that was pretty clear as soon as Santana came back in opening night.

Also by that report it sounds as if hell has broken loose. HOWEVER Naya still tweeted 5 hours ago about how excited she is to see Glee tonight, so I don't think it'll be nearly as serious as it all seems

I totally agree with the BIB ,If Naya is not coming back to Glee, I would miss Santana ,she is an Interesting character with many different sides and works well with all the other characters.

There are so many conflicting reports about what has happened on set,and if Naya will be back or not ,it is hard to tell what is true ,I guess it is a wait and see situation . Naya has been through a rough time recently so I hope she is ok.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's likely that the tabloids have blown this all out of proportion as usual, but I wouldn't be surprised if Naya is written out of the finale.

I'll be disappointed if she is though. I get that Lea is Ryan Murphy's favourite, and that she's hugely talented. But the world doesn't revolve around her - there are many other very talented people in that cast, Naya included (and really she's near the top of the pile talent-wise) who are being seriously underused so The Rachel Berry Show can be dragged out for another year. Obviously the show will end with Rachel, it was always going to, but there's a whole season still to go, and the writers need to make use of the talent they've got.

And that includes ensuring that Naya's in season 6 as a regular. The show needs Santana just as much as it needs Rachel in my opinion - the extremes of their characters balance each other out in a way that none of the other characters can. Naya's first scene in the last episode was the best 2 minutes of Glee since it switched focus to New York. She's every bit as much of a scene-stealer (in the best possible way) as Lea is.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    If Naya has been fired then I'm 100% out. I didn't even watch any of the recent Glee episodes because there was no Santana although I will catchup. It's not only dull without Santana, she has an irreplaceable voice and snark.
  • Options
    xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt tbh. I do think they probably had an argument or something, it happens, but I don't think Nayas been fired, she's just not in that episode for whatever reason.
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I used to like Lea Michele but I'm getting the impression that she is the problem here, first we had a "rumoured" feud with Diana Aggron, who then got written out.
    Now we have a "rumoured" feud with Naya who seems to have also been randomly written out, what do these feuds have in common? Lemme think....oh yeah, Lea!

If we're going to talk about rumours, there were rumours just a few weeks ago about Nayas behaviour on set, throwing tantrums etc and then there's the time she apparently keyed Mark Sallings car when the show first started. But that's just what they are, rumours. Unfortunately, they couldn't keep everyone on the show when they graduated and there have been lots of people who have been written out of the show because of it. Lea posted a picture on twitter of her and Dianna when Dianna was last on set so I don't think there's a huge problem there.

I think both Lea and Naya have been through tough times recently, Naya more recently, and it's bound to take its toll.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dean Pelton! Stop turning Rachel's head! You're getting her in trouble. No Sam this week, which I didn't mind, as I like Santana and Mercedes, and it's good they they got a plot. A bit too much Blaine, and it's leading to yet another split with Kurt it seems.

Lea Michelle looked lovely in the scene where Sidney was telling her off. And she sung 'The Rose' fantastically.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's likely that the tabloids have blown this all out of proportion as usual, but I wouldn't be surprised if Naya is written out of the finale.

I'll be disappointed if she is though. I get that Lea is Ryan Murphy's favourite, and that she's hugely talented. But the world doesn't revolve around her - there are many other very talented people in that cast, Naya included (and really she's near the top of the pile talent-wise) who are being seriously underused so The Rachel Berry Show can be dragged out for another year. Obviously the show will end with Rachel, it was always going to, but there's a whole season still to go, and the writers need to make use of the talent they've got.

And that includes ensuring that Naya's in season 6 as a regular. The show needs Santana just as much as it needs Rachel in my opinion - the extremes of their characters balance each other out in a way that none of the other characters can. Naya's first scene in the last episode was the best 2 minutes of Glee since it switched focus to New York. She's every bit as much of a scene-stealer (in the best possible way) as Lea is.
    I think it's a pretty safe bet that Naya has been written out of the final episode of this season. There's lots of evidence floating round that strongly suggests that's the case. There was a question mark over whether they were keeping her in the next episode, but the trailer for next week's episode is pretty Santana-heavy, so I think that answers that question.

As far as I can tell, Naya has probably been 'suspended' from Glee for the rest of this season - which admittedly, since her departure a couple of week's ago, has just been 5x19 and 5x20 filming - and it seems as though she completed a large amount of her scenes in 5x19 before the blow-out happened. There was talk, way back earlier this year, that Naya wouldn't return as a regular cast member in season 6, and I honestly don't see that changing now. Naya's reps are being very careful with the statement they released that said she's not fired. I'm sure she isn't, but they wouldn't answer a question from one reporter who apparently asked them a direct question about her involvement in the season finale. That's the part of this mess they don't want to talk about. The 5x20 script apparently had a Troubletones reunion song, what with Heather Morris returning for the episode, and that has either been scrapped or reworked for some other combination - the song list isn't out yet, so we don't know.

Glee's removal of Naya from set is akin to her being given an 'early bath' - she's taking no further part in the filming of season 5, but she's still a member of the cast (her regular contract is still TBD for season 6). I don't doubt that we will see her again in some capacity during season 6, but then, I expect we will see practically every single old Glee club member during that time, to give them the big send off the show is building up to. The question mark just remains on what her relationship with the show is, after all this has happened. Naya tweeting about her appearance in last night's episode, and the other cast members tagging her in their own tweets about the show say that she's still engaged with them on a basic, professional level. Whether than translates through to the showrunners, and writers' room, and Santana gets a decent storyline next season remains to be seen. Naya's beef is most certainly with the producers, and nothing to do with any cast member(s) - but the gossip mags love a 'diva bitch fight' and will run stories with Lea's name in them, just to get the requisite site hits those things generate.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    This was another great episode.

While I hated Kurt/Blaine's version of Story Of My Life I loved Santana/Mercedes version of Doo Wop That Thing.

Santana's clearly learned something because the way she handled the duet situation with Mercedes was a good sign of maturity.

I don't begrudge Rachel's ambition but she was pretty reckless this week and the TV deal seemed a bit out of nowhere. I guess she should be lucky that Sidney didn't fire her.

The Kurt/Blaine plot with June was actually pretty good as well. Liked it overall, 8/10
  • Options
    Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also it's just plain weird for a teacher to name their child after a student.

Off topic as not really relating to the situation on Glee, but I should think teachers can't help but be influenced by student names, when naming their own children. My mum had been teaching almost 10 years when she had me. She said every name that was suggested by family and friends bought up memories of several students, often badly behaved ones, so it put her off! Eventually she gave me an unusual name (it was then, less so now) as it was the only name she liked that she'd only had one student who had the name and she was nice, well behaved etc. I'm not really named after that student though, as she didn't have any differnet a relationship with my mum than any of the other students she taught.

......anyway back to glee...... :)

Loved Mercedes/Santana duet

Hated Kurt/Blaine duet - Good song for Blaine, but completely ruined by Kurt, but then I suppose that was sort of the point!

Santana was uncharacteristically selfless in this episode, I kept thinking it was just a ruse and wondering when her ulterior motives were going to be revealed.

I actually liked Mercedes in this episode, there's a first time for everything :D

Kurt, however, is getting more and more annoying as every episode goes on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think having her written out is immature on the part of the producers, but Ryan Murphy is well known for diva-ish behaviour, so it's hardly surprising. I'm sure she's not all innocent in this, and clearly she's done something to upset them, but frankly I'm surprised it's taken this long for there to be a spat between a cast member and the producers (leaving aside all the Dianna stuff, which I think was largely blown up by the tabloids and more to do with Dianna choosing to be less involved than anything else, unsurprisingly considering they had no clue what to do with her character) - the show has never been good at utilising the talent it has properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a great episode! It did feel like it all wrapped up very quickly and whilst the end of each storyline was slightly strange and maybe a little stilted the actual body of the episode was brilliant! It was great getting to see each of our New York characters who each shone individually. Santana was brilliant ("Look at her shoes") so it's sad to be saying goodbye to her until next year but hopefully she will be back!
    I'm sure there is a lot of room for jokes about how to get a starring role in an episode Chris Colfer actually had to write one but I thought it was a great episode and hopefully he gets the chance to do another one in Season 6.

It's a shame that next week is the last episode of the season but I'm looking forward to it and seeing what the set up is for Season 6 and our final goodbyes.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, no mention of Danni or where she went then? What a waste of a guest spot. Santana being so chaste is rubbish.

I liked the episode overall. I found 'Memories' really quite moving, and Kurt was fantastic flying about to 'Lucky Star'.

Sam's dog looked just like Benji, one of our old family dogs.

Glad that Blaine was limited to supporting Kurt this week.

And Lea Michelle really does have killer legs!
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Megashare shutting down I dont know where I can watch this weeks episode :(

Can anyone send me a link please?