Not nice at all, get well soon Kolo.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    £25 million bid for Lallana according to SSN
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Lambert is a strange signing. At £4m there is no harm in it but i dont really see how he would fit into your style of play where i think your biggest weapon this season has been pace and skill up front. I know he "offers something different" but does that mean if its not going well after 70 mins he comes on and you completely change the way you play?
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just on a non transfer note apparently Kolo Toure has contracted malaria.

Hopefully he recovers, not nice to see.

Wow, that is not nice, on a humane level, I wish him well, and I hope that he can clear it from his system.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Lambert is a strange signing. At £4m there is no harm in it but i dont really see how he would fit into your style of play where i think your biggest weapon this season has been pace and skill up front. I know he "offers something different" but does that mean if its not going well after 70 mins he comes on and you completely change the way you play?

While it would be handy to be able to change styles if needed, I can't see that happening, however, Lambert will easily fit into our style of play.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Indeed Although he's not what I was expecting unlike others I certainly don't think he's a 'bad signing' I was still scratching my head yesterday having not expected this one at all though

I can only imagine that for those games where we've not managed to do the business up front, Lambert would be a decent alternative

With players such as Suarez Coutinho & Gerrard capable of making that key pass to a forward to unlock a game, even Henderson actually, they've all done it many a times this season, having a big strong striker like Lambert who does know how to finish, may just be what we need for those defensively tough games....I think

Edit: he's also a creative player himself, 10 assists this season I Believe
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont thin so, I dont think BR would of signed him unless he thinks he can fit into how we play. There will be no sticking lambert on and hitting long balls. Technically he has to be good enough to fit into this side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    I dont thin so, I dont think BR would of signed him unless he thinks he can fit into how we play. There will be no sticking lambert on and hitting long balls. Technically he has to be good enough to fit into this side.

Thing is Southampton play a similar attacking & pressing style to what we play

And Lambert has flourished in that style along with his good link up play with Lallana (who has also flourished in that style of play), if we had both of them in our squad, I don't think Our style will need to change all that much, we'd just have more quality in depth

And I think both players are of very good quality, just what we need right in the extra quality in depth sense
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got back home after three weeks abroard, so apologies for commenting late on this.
    I'd like to congratulate the team and manager on an outstanding season. Who at the start of the season could have imagined we'd end up being dissapointed at finishing second!
    I'm glad to see that BR has signed a new contract and we've made an early start signing new players for next season. With us being in the CL we're a more attractive option than Tottenham this time. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    I've just got back home after three weeks abroard, so apologies for commenting late on this.
    I'd like to congratulate the team and manager on an outstanding season. Who at the start of the season could have imagined we'd end up being dissapointed at finishing second!
    I'm glad to see that BR has signed a new contract and we've made an early start signing new players for next season. With us being in the CL we're a more attractive option than Tottenham this time. :D

Hell, we're a more attractive option than United this time! :p:D

Getting Lambert for the price we are is very, very good logic from Rodgers and adds that bit more muscle up front we have needed now and then. If it also helps to draw Lallana to us so much the better - then, we really have to address the issues in defence. I would love to see a really good defence guru brought in to sort out what we have, it would be the cheaper and best option imo.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Hell, we're a more attractive option than United this time! :p:D

Getting Lambert for the price we are is very, very good logic from Rodgers and adds that bit more muscle up front we have needed now and then. If it also helps to draw Lallana to us so much the better - then, we really have to address the issues in defence. I would love to see a really good defence guru brought in to sort out what we have, it would be the cheaper and best option imo.
    That's true, but we weren't really competing with United for any players last year, Tottenham snatched most of our targets from under our noses, I'll bet they're regretting their descisions now. :D
    It looks like we might be signing left back Moreno from Sevilla next week, so hopefully we'll have a better defence next season if we can sign some more players in that area.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    I think we need a commanding centre back still - we're missing the leadership that Carra used to provide and I'm not really sold on Sakho yet. We also need some kind of defensive coaching improvement as we're making so many stupid mistakes that can't be blamed on our style of play. The number of goals we conceded from set pieces showed that.

I think we do need about 5 good players over the summer to allow for the extra CL games as we don't really have much depth at the minute. Certainly not much past about 15 players. We can't afford to let our top 4 place slip next season and I would expect Utd to be right back in the mix. City and Chelsea will be there without a doubt and God knows what Arsenal will do!
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suspect Lambert will be used later in games when we need to either offer something diffent against packed defences or, more commonly, to ensure we hold the ball up front when protecting a lead. He's excellent at holding the ball up and bringing others into play and that will continue to feed our midfield runners.

Often later in games last season we'd break down with the strikers as they either tried something elaborate or were isolated as the runners stopped running as the legs got heavier. Slowing the game down deliberately and keeping the ball is something Lambert will be very adept at plus he'll offer a threat at set pieces.

A cunning signing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I suspect Lambert will be used later in games when we need to either offer something diffent against packed defences or, more commonly, to ensure we hold the ball up front when protecting a lead. He's excellent at holding the ball up and bringing others into play and that will continue to feed our midfield runners.

Often later in games last season we'd break down with the strikers as they either tried something elaborate or were isolated as the runners stopped running as the legs got heavier. Slowing the game down deliberately and keeping the ball is something Lambert will be very adept at plus he'll offer a threat at set pieces.

A cunning signing.

I think at £4m you buy him anyway and see what happens. I agree he will hold the ball up and slow the game down and in the scenarios you paint its a positive but i could also see it as a negative potentially too. I think its an interesting signing and certainly not one i expected from the outside. There is no doubt that you do need a bigger squad just for the added demands it will have on it and this type of signing does give added options. The other side of that is you are asking a player to make a big step up at 32 years old when he has already made more step ups than his career would have suggested he was capable of.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think at £4m you buy him anyway and see what happens. I agree he will hold the ball up and slow the game down and in the scenarios you paint its a positive but i could also see it as a negative potentially too. I think its an interesting signing and certainly not one i expected from the outside. There is no doubt that you do need a bigger squad just for the added demands it will have on it and this type of signing does give added options. The other side of that is you are asking a player to make a big step up at 32 years old when he has already made more step ups than his career would have suggested he was capable of.

That's a logical fallacy. He is where he is cos he is good enough to be there.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    So, it would be a long shot and we'd probably be behind Arsenal and Utd, but should we be looking at Fabregas? If it's true and there's the £30m buy out surely we should at least be asking the question?
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    So, it would be a long shot and we'd probably be behind Arsenal and Utd, but should we be looking at Fabregas? If it's true and there's the £30m buy out surely we should at least be asking the question?

It can't hurt to make an enquiry. The Daily Mail were quick to create the rumour anyway.

The main thing that will no doubt get in the way will be wages. We'll be a lot tighter with our wage offers than Man United or Arsenal (or any other competitor like City). There are other advantages for our rivals, though. Arsenal's advantage will be the fact that it's Arsenal and Wenger's there and United's advantage will be van Persie, Juan Mata and De Gea.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

Agree with you and Munch, if he's available then there's no reason not to enquire. He may not be quite as versatile as Lallana but he's obviously a much better player (I couldn't see us being able to afford both if it came to it, especially when we're in need of defenders).

Apparently he's on about £120k a week at Barca and I wonder if we could offer much higher than that. Perhaps marginally more, but it wouldn't surprise me if United were willing to go to £200k+ which would probably put us and Arsenal out of the equation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't even rule out City/Chelsea from going for him as a bench warmer - just to keep him away from other teams! :p

Must admit, the thought of him playing for us is mouthwatering, if slightly improbable, though if you don't ask you'll never get!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If he was willing to keep the same wage with us, or want just a bit higher, then FSG may allow it. Isn't Gerrard on £150k-£170k? He's our highest earner. Would giving a new player a starting wage of something like £130k a week affect future transfers? In a similar way Cantona talks about paying £30m for Luke Shaw so early before other transfers?

Speaking of wages I read a story about Raheem Sterling being offered a £100k wage. Football really is its own world. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    If he was willing to keep the same wage with us, or want just a bit higher, then FSG may allow it. Isn't Gerrard on £150k-£170k? He's our highest earner. Would giving a new player a starting wage of something like £130k a week affect future transfers? In a similar way Cantona talks about paying £30m for Luke Shaw so early before other transfers?

Speaking of wages I read a story about Raheem Sterling being offered a £100k wage. Football really is its own world. :p

Reports show Gerrard to be on around £140k a week, also Suarez is now our highest earner of £200k a week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Reports show Gerrard to be on around £140k a week, also Suarez is now our highest earner of £200k a week

Oh, right. I always thought Gerrard was our highest earner. Maybe that was the case until Suárez's latest contract. I know when he first signed for us he was only on £90k a week, and he's had two contracts since then so I didn't think it'd be that much higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    That's a logical fallacy. He is where he is cos he is good enough to be there.

Yes and where he is is a at Southampton. Who themselves arguably have been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride to get as far as they have in the last couple of years. With all due respect to them Liverpool is one hell of a jump up. Maybe he will take it in his stride i dont know, but it is a step up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Oh, right. I always thought Gerrard was our highest earner. Maybe that was the case until Suárez's latest contract. I know when he first signed for us he was only on £90k a week, and he's had two contracts since then so I didn't think it'd be that much higher.

Yeh when he signed his last contract, back in December I think, all report outlets were saying he was being put on £160k until the season ends then it would continue on £200k from then onwards :)

Not sure what's happening to Sturridge's new contract, I remember hearing a few months ago he was apparently going to have his wages doubled to around £130k/£140k
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brad Jones 31 2016
    Simon Mignolet 25 2.34 million GBP 2018

Daniel Agger 28 £80,000 (weekly) 2016
    Martin Skrtel 28 £75,000 (weekly) 2016
    Kolo Touré 32 3.9 million GBP 2015
    Sebastián Coates 22 1.25 million GBP 2016
    José Enrique 27 3.328 million GBP 2016

Glen Johnson 28 £85,000 (weekly) 2015
    Martin Kelly 23 £900,000 GBP 2017
    Andre Wisdom 20 2018
    Lucas 26 £65,000 (weekly) 2017
    Jay Spearing 24 3 million GBP 2015
    Joe Allen 23 2017
    Jordan Henderson 23 2016
    Steven Gerrard 34 £140,000 (weekly) 2015

Coutinho 21 1.5 million GBP 2018
    Luis Alberto 20 2016
    Oussama Assaidi 24 1.092 million GBP 2016
    Raheem Sterling 18 2018
    Luis Suárez 26 £200,000 (weekly) 2020 (contract Extension)
    Iago Aspas 26 1.3 million GBP 2017
    Daniel Sturridge 23 3.38 million GBP 2018

Bit messy from a c/p, but it's all there.

Edit for LINK
This discussion has been closed.