Options

Great British Menu 2014

Comments

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how they'll put up the scores of the top dishes but not all of them.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Ooof, two fourth places. That's got to hurt.
    Can't remember if it's happened previously but just imagine getting into the top 3 for each course but not getting to the banquet.

Now that would hurt! :D
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Massive spoiler at the end there ... We now know who the first 4 chefs out tomorrow are (as we saw them gasping) grrrrrr
  • Options
    danishdancerdanishdancer Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Massive spoiler at the end there ... We now know who the first 4 chefs out tomorrow are (as we saw them gasping) grrrrrr

There was an even bigger spoiler in the intro yesterday - a shot of some of the chefs stood in front of the results board, presumably from the dessert ep as you could clearly see the names of the top 3 for starter, fish and main. If only I could unsee it!
  • Options
    smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emily got a 9, 10, 10, 10 and a 7 from the chefs. Total 46
    Colin got a 10, 9, 9, 9 and a 9 from the chefs. Total 46
    Tom got a 9, 10, 9, 8 and an 8 from the chefs. Total 44

David in fourth got a 9, 8, 9, 8 and a 6 from the chefs. Total 40

;-)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For those people who mentioned about chefs and grubby hands and finger nails then don't watch Jamie Oliver's new show.

In an early scene it looked as though he'd been out gardening and didn't wash properly before cooking.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I've come to the conclusion that the regular judges just use the brief to artificially mark down dishes they can't otherwise criticise!

One minute we're getting comments about how wonderfully well the presentation of one dish evokes memories of The Blitz, and then we "don't get" the link between the French Resistance and D-Day! :o
  • Options
    VelusVelus Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    There was an even bigger spoiler in the intro yesterday - a shot of some of the chefs stood in front of the results board, presumably from the dessert ep as you could clearly see the names of the top 3 for starter, fish and main. If only I could unsee it!

Noooooo I couldn't help myself… I went back and peeped ;-)

Interesting :D
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would think they would know by now how to edit the bloomin thing!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched the starter episode. Prue really doesn't want the London dude's dish anywhere near the banquet does she. Thought it was telling when everyone else gave it a 10, she gave it a 7. But then gives a 10 to Emily and champions her strongly. I hope the London guy gets the starter course.

Anyone else finding Aktar really grating? I know he's a 3 year veteran at this but he's so smug and arrogant, then runs late. Again. It's almost the same with Colin too?
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key thing tonight could be how the Chicken and Banana dish scores, as I can't see them having two chicken dishes on the banquet.

It's also notable that both the North West guy's starter and Emily's fish both contained Scallop, so whether they'd have both of them on the menu is questionable.

If, as expected only the 3 regular judges decide the final menu, then I think Emily will get the fish dish as they all gave her 10
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I've watched the starter episode. Prue really doesn't want the London dude's dish anywhere near the banquet does she. Thought it was telling when everyone else gave it a 10, she gave it a 7. But then gives a 10 to Emily and champions her strongly. I hope the London guy gets the starter course.

Anyone else finding Aktar really grating? I know he's a 3 year veteran at this but he's so smug and arrogant, then runs late.
    Again. It's almost the same with Colin too?

I'm finding him irritating to watch too. I can see Colin getting to the banquet but Aktar I think is unlikely. His pudding was highly scored but I don't think it will beat Colin's chocolate medal.
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key thing tonight could be how the Chicken and Banana dish scores, as I can't see them having two chicken dishes on the banquet.

It's also notable that both the North West guy's starter and Emily's fish both contained Scallop, so whether they'd have both of them on the menu is questionable.

If, as expected only the 3 regular judges decide the final menu, then I think Emily will get the fish dish as they all gave her 10

I think London Adam's chicken could be starter, but if they had Emily for fish that's two courses in a row pouring consomme over the dish from a flask.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Most of these mains don't hve enough vegetables compared to the amount of meat. Should have done more digging foir victory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    Most of these mains don't hve enough vegetables compared to the amount of meat. Should have done more digging foir victory.

I agree. :)

However, one chef did use pigeon, which certainly met the brief for protein.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Looks like the veal dish is a certainty for the banquet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Poor Jack is crying. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Four go to the end not three. Doesn't that encourage the chefs to "over-vote"?
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Looks like the veal dish is a certainty for the banquet.

Apparently not. Obviously the producers want a different dish there.
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Apparently not. Obviously the producers want a different dish there.

What makes you think that?
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    That Tom guy really is an annoying little twerp, hoping he doesn't get to the banquet
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    HotSeatSue wrote: »
    Four go to the end not three. Doesn't that encourage the chefs to "over-vote"?

What baffles me is that when they average the chefs' scores, they're unlikely to end up with a whole number, so the bottom few positions must be determined by looking at the scores to one decimal place. After all, we never seem to get a tie for the minor placings.

So, how come they can't differentiate between third an fourth on the same basis? Did they round one up and one down in order to get the single figure, or are we supposed to believe that the "point something" in each case was exactly the same?
  • Options
    mathsbunnymathsbunny Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Really can't stand that little London twerp Adam. Keep thinking of Tommy Steele ( locks thumbs in braces) He is a really snide little POW
  • Options
    mathsbunnymathsbunny Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    And that bloody pretentious pencil behind the ear....... Are you hearing me Murchison?
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetiecat wrote: »
    What makes you think that?

Sorry. I was thinking of a different dish.

I always wonder what vegetarians do at these banquets. Or do they just make sure not to invite any?