Visiting Northern Ireland - any recommendations on things to see and do?

2»

Comments

• getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    The Antrim Coast road is beautiful .

It has been voted as one of the most beautiful places in the World,
    Yes, the World.:)

Start just past Larne and drive and enjoy.

I walked out it once booking into some Guest Houses and it was the most
    enjoyable Holiday i have ever had.
    And that includes a Cruise i once went on.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Love the birdcage, came across it by accident and the food was soo good!

Is that the one on the Stranmillis Road? If so I thought it was okay, but I didn't think the food was anything to write home about so to speak.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    It has been voted as one of the most beautiful places in the World,
    Yes, the World.:)

Start just past Larne and drive and enjoy.

I walked out it once booking into some Guest Houses and it was the most
    enjoyable Holiday i have ever had.
    And that includes a Cruise i once went on.

I add my vote to it being one of the most beautiful places. I also went to Rathlin Island. Stunning .
  • lustyrustylustyrusty Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Carrick a rede rope bridge near the Giants Causeway is fantastic if you're made of stern stuff. Giants Causeway is pretty boring, if you're in Portrush you have to go to Barry's. It's the one place everyone who knows about Northern Ireland will ask you about.

Carrick Castle is worth a wee visit too and I'm a bit bias but if you want lovely coastal scenery go to Larne (my hometown)

Also if you have kids take a wee day to Carnfunnock (also in Larne) and theres some nice gardens in Glenarm
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    So a few friends and myself are going to Northern Ireland for a few days, staying in Belfast and then heading up north to the Giant's Causeway.

Does anyone have places to recommend visiting? Anything off the beaten track? Anything really special? Great places to eat would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Game of Thrones tour. The Wall is apparently only 10 meters high.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lustyrusty wrote: »

Also if you have kids take a wee day to Carnfunnock (also in Larne) and theres some nice gardens in Glenarm

I'm going there this Sunday with Son, Daughter and Grandson.
    Great spot.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go see the dark hedges while you're in the north coast region. Also visit Glenariff forest park which is beautiful. Most people out for the day up the north coast eat at the Ramore wine bar in Portrush.

If you like Chinese, try Gaze or Tao noodle bar whilst in Belfast. Drink in the cathedral quarter...the roost or duke of York. 21 Social for cocktails.
  • susiesuesusiesue Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    The dark hedges near Ballymoney. Especially at dusk.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    BTW if you are anywhere near the north coast (Portrush type area) and fancy a chippy...a little hidden gem is a chippy called Flash in the Pan in Bushmills. Seriously, don't waste money on any chippy around that area except that one, the rest suck really really bad.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    So a few friends and myself are going to Northern Ireland for a few days, staying in Belfast and then heading up north to the Giant's Causeway.

Does anyone have places to recommend visiting? Anything off the beaten track? Anything really special? Great places to eat would also be helpful.

Thanks!
    If you could manage about a week you could easily see the whole of NI (Belfast, Derry, Glens of Antrim, The Giant's Causeway etc.) and in fact the majority north of Galway/Dublin in the Republic too... the whole country (north and south) could done in 2 weeks IMO.

Whatever you decide, enjoy yourself and if its only NI that you can visit then you will have a great time - a great little place.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again all :)
  • mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    BTW if you are anywhere near the north coast (Portrush type area) and fancy a chippy...a little hidden gem is a chippy called Flash in the Pan in Bushmills. Seriously, don't waste money on any chippy around that area except that one, the rest suck really really bad.

Aww Flash in the Pan! We always used to call in at the one in Ballymoney (don't know if it's still there) on the way back from Barry's when we were weeins. Brilliant chippy! Way better than any I've been to since.

Totally agree with Glens of Antrim especially Glenariff - that view down over Waterfoot is something very special....

Glad I've spotted this thread - going home to Gawd's own County this weekend for a week with English partner. Was unaware there was a Game of Thrones tour. We'll be doing that, methinks..................
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A trip to Rathlin is also well worth it.
  • Bunk MorelandBunk Moreland Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Giants Causeway and Antrim Coast are a must if you've never been. On a good day it looks stunning. Similarly as previously mentioned Carlingford Lough is great, however if the weather is good I'd recommend driving through the Mourne Mountains from Newry to Newcastle, through places like Silent Valley and Spelga Reservoir.

Obviously taking in all that Belfast and Derry have to offer will make for a good time, but I'd avoid most other towns as Northern Ireland is a pretty run down place outside of the familiar well-known places.

Don't be afraid to venture across the border as well. Newry and Derry are right on it. Donegal is a wonderful part of the world and if you do fancy the Mournes and are in the Newry area you won't be disappointed with a trip to Carlingford town, it's great down there. You can get the train from Belfast to Dublin as well if you've a free day, or alternatively it's about a 90 minute to 2 hour drive.

You'll have a great time whatever you do, us Irish are the friendliest people on the planet. ;-)
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belfast Bus Tour 1: http://youtu.be/Hxrt8I_bhBQ

was over there a few weeks ago, definitely agree that the Antrim Road / Giants Causeway is pretty special, particularly on a sunny day as I had.

that taxi thing round Belfast sounds pretty good, but I stuck with the Red Sightseeing bus.

One of the most bizarre tourist buses you can imagine "...on the left used to be a Chip shop that was blown up, " etc.

very interesting though.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was over in Belfast the weekend the Giro was there in May and had a great time. It was one of those cities I just enjoyed exploring on foot. Some really nice places to eat and drink up near Queen's.