Options

Can I reheat fish and chips?

GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I work different shifts and often there is not enough time between getting up after a night shift and going back to work to fit in a meal.

I quite often take sandwiches to work but do get fed up of eating sandwiches.

I quite fancy getting fish and chips from a chip shop on the way to work and when I can, reheat them in a microwave.

Would that work?

Or is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

I am hoping they will still be palatable.

Comments

• Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    There's no reason why you couldn't do that in terms of safety, but be warned that they will go soggy when reheated in the microwave. I wouldn't find soggy batter very palatable personally, but it's worth a go.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put it in the oven, in an oven safe plate. Heat for about ten minutes till warm.
    No problem, though it may be crispier than normal.

I have an oven at work.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Chips: Two minutes in the microwave and as good as new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think they would end up soggy.

There is only a microwave at work, no proper oven.

I don't think I will bother. Sandwiches again! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you buy your sandwiches on your way to work or do you make them yourself?

If you have time to make your own sandwiches then you have time to make other foods.

Seems like you want hot food for a change, try soup?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make my own.

Yes, I wanted a hot meal!

I shall have to be more inventive with my sandwiches / rolls to try avoid being bored with them.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know ready meals are not everyones cup of tea and some of them are rubbish but you can buy decent microwave meals from the likes of M&S for less than the price of fish & chips.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Unpack the chips and space them out before reheating though, because if they're all packed close together (as they are in a packet), they'll sweat and go soggy when reheating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make my own.

I shall have to be more inventive with my sandwiches / rolls to try avoid being bored with them.

Yes it's time to be more inventive, lots of ideas about, but if you must eat a lot of bread then buy brown bread rolls, better for you health wise.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, always wholemeal bread.

I often make my own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Yes..I get chippy fish and chips every pay day( once a month), there are too many for me now, so i half them, and reheat the rest next day..they seem nicer next day lol..make sure they are hot though :)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly take in soup/stew to heat in the microwave and have with some bread.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Make up a pot of chili-con-carne and take a portion in to reheat. If you want to embellish it I would recommend some fresh sour cream and grated cheese to top it with. You could also bake some garlic bread in advance and warm that up in the microwave too. Yummy (and cheap if you make it up from scratch).
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I make my own.

Try soups, stews, chilli con carne etc. I used to cook more than I needed for our main evening meals, so we could take leftovers to heat up in the microwaves at work. One of my favourites was leftover spag bol, but use pasta shapes like penne rather than spaghetti, as they're thicker and don't become mushy and stick together when you reheat them.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fish & chips will heat up fine in a microwave. Granted, the batter won't be crisp but if you buy them wrapped and take them home the batter won't be crisp either as it has steamed on the journey home.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just do it? You're not going to kill yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got some chippy fish n chips again on Thursday.. just had half ( can't eat them all in one sitting, too much :p), and re heated other half yesterday.. Opened some beans and heated them too ( chippy fish chips and tinned beans are nice together :p) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would reheat them in an oven but I won't risk it in a microwave, so no fish and chips for me at work unless I buy them just before arriving and can eat them whilst still hot. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would reheat them in an oven but I won't risk it in a microwave, so no fish and chips for me at work unless I buy them just before arriving and can eat them whilst still hot. :)

i reheat in micro wave :confused why is it so risky ? Ive been alright on all times, as long its hot throughout the meal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not risky, I just imagine the chips won't be that nice. Better in a proper oven.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not risky, I just imagine the chips won't be that nice. Better in a proper oven.

That's right, Chips don't re-heat well in a microwave. If I know I'll be doing that, I usually get some chip shop curry to soak over them.

McDonald and KFC chips/fries in particular are terrible re-heated in a microwave.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    McD and KFC don't serve proper chips. Proper chips reheat in the microwave just fine.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Ginster pasty is good from a microwave, pastry somewhat soft of course but still nice.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,959
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    McD and KFC don't serve proper chips. Proper chips reheat in the microwave just fine.

What are they then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't KFC and McD fries contain some sort of paper?

I seem to recall hearing that but am not sure if it is true.