Options

Problems in Calais with refugees - lack of compassion?

Comments

• Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    it`s not made me feel superior, it`s made feel really sad and quite worried for the future. i cannot speak for the op but i`d imagine she feels similar.

Thanks annette.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    luba wrote: »
    We already have more than enough immigrants here already.
    For a small island we are way overloaded.
    I am sorry for them but that is as far as it goes.
    Really don't want them here.
    that doesn`t make it ok to refer to them in derogatory terms.
    Thanks annette.

:)
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    My opinion is bollocks to them.....Im sick of seeing them trying to board lorries to get here to freeload...

Those that want them here can house, feed and account for them or better still, travel over and look after them...[/QUOTE]

Of course, I can confidently predict that most, if not all of the people to which you refer won't be doing that anytime soon will they? No, they want 'people' to show 'compassion' and get these migrants into the UK as soon as possible, just so long as it is not THEY who are lumbered with the problem on THEIR doorstep. They are then free to wallow luxuriantly in their 'holier than thou' compassion and tolerance without the inconvenience of actually living with the problem they want to cause. How wonderful of them.

Let it not be forgotten that we've shown much compassion over many years to people from all over the world. However, times are hard and we now need to say - enough is enough and the UK is full.
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    im sorry but i have no compassion at all left...they should be told theyll never get in to the UK.....it makes me more determined to vote UKIP

There is no doubt in my mind that UKIP are the ONLY political party in the UK who are prepared stand up for many of the people of this country.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s not made me feel superior, it`s made feel really sad and quite worried for the future. i cannot speak for the op but i`d imagine she feels similar.

We're all worried about the future and our children's future, it is why the majority don't want any more immigrants over here.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    My compassion went years ago.
    This country is fit to burst, we can't cope now, we don't wan't or need any more people draining the system.
    The NHS is on it's knees, schools can't cope, towns can't cope, most towns are cutting services.
    My county council have made drastic cuts to services with more on the way.

So as for compassion, it begins at home, look after the elderly and sick of this country first and get Britain back on it's feet, shut the doors, we're full..
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compassion? are you joking.They are not our problem,our country is in a complete mess and your worrying about how these people are being treated,who cares?

I agree. Why should anyone have compassion for a bunch of freeloaders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evie71 wrote: »
    We're all worried about the future and our children's future, it is why the majority don't want any more immigrants over here.

it STILL doesn`t make it right to degrade, debase and demoralise people and it never will. i am very concerned that the next generation doesn`t grow up with such a disgusting view of other human beings.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think it should be pointed out for the purposes of fairness, that a many people don't object because of the whole 'bloody immigrants' thing, but because of the politics of it.

Objecting to the move doesn't automatically make you lacking in compassion or racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I think it should be pointed out for the purposes of fairness, that a many people don't object because of the whole 'bloody immigrants' thing, but because of the politics of it.

Objecting to the move doesn't automatically make you lacking in compassion or racist.

which means they failed to read the op properly or, more worryingly because it`s in plain english, they didn`t understand it in the first place. [:o]
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    which means they failed to read the op properly or, more worryingly because it`s in plain english, they didn`t understand it in the first place. [:o]

Of course wishing death on them and anything else derogatory is not on and lacking in empathy, but my post was in regards to the issue in general, granted I wasn't too clear on that.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it STILL doesn`t make it right to degrade, debase and demoralise people and it never will. i am very concerned that the next generation doesn`t grow up with such a disgusting view of other human beings.

It is a shame they don't get message though. They are still trying to flock here.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Oh get over yourself. :p

People make hyperbolic, throw-away comments on anonymous online boards. Everyone knows that. To extrapolate from that to a whole generation lacking in humanity is just daft. If you're really looking to get outraged, go and have a look at the comments on youtube.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    If they're in France, an already safe country, then they are not refugees.

I feel sorry for the French having to deal with them but maybe they need to tighten up their own border controls by not allowing them in from other neighbouring safe countries in the first place.

These people are not anything to do with the UK.

This is my view. If they've managed to get to France it is likely they've passed through several safe countries.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    This is my view. If they've managed to get to France it is likely they've passed through several safe countries.

Correct, all they come for is the free handouts and the easy ride this country gives them or else they would stop in the first safe country they get to..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh get over yourself. :p

People make hyperbolic, throw-away comments on anonymous online boards. Everyone knows that. To extrapolate from that to a whole generation lacking in humanity is just daft. If you're really looking to get outraged, go and have a look at the comments on youtube.

it`s not just online on message boards though, it`s in the papers, it`s on facebook - which i certainly don`t underestimate the power of - it`s in the pub etc, etc. to think that people are only saying that kind of stuff on forums is daft, most people don`t have one opinion for forums and another for real life and these things DO filter down and become embedded in society.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad we are an island and are not attached to Europe, Imagine that.

We should invest more money to strengthen our borders, not just against this lot, but against imports of drugs, firearms, human trafficking. We should be controlling the flow to suit the good of the country and have good filter system to remove the unwanted.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Calais is a mess. When I commuted to Paris from London last autumn by coach, you could spot dozens of migrants ready to pounce on moving vehicles going the other direction. Security was pretty tight; for some reason we had to leave the coach twice even though they checked inside the one time.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Tudor must feel a whole lot better about Calais now. Maybe she even thinks it was a good idea to get rid of the place.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have compassion for anyone who has left their homeland due to atrocious conditions feeling that they have no future there, they are people who just want a chance in life but like the vast majority also feel that this country will be on its knees soon.

The main problem is that people born in the UK and those who have paid their taxes over the years do not appear to get any preference when it comes to jobs, affordable housing, social services, care for the elderly, NHS care etc and of course this has led to a lot of resentment.

I can't see the future becoming any better with all the problems and wars in the Middle East and Africa. Who would want to live there?

We need educated intelligent and compassionate people to take control of their own countries and to get rid of all the corruption and religious extremists. I actually think the west has interfered too much over the years and it hasn't led to things getting any better for the people of these countries. They need to take control themselves, although this is easier said than done.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is if you show compassion you will be taken for a mug. What sort of message will it send out if Britain had an open doors policy to immigration!

Usually those who cry compassion are not the ones that have to pay for it.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I feel for these people and the situations they find themselves in . Yes I feel for thier famies and for the kids left behind
    But I think we also have to think for the long term . The UK or France or Ireland has not endless finances to support a wave of refugees forever
    It will never stop unless the root cause is tackled . It wil continue to stretch the EU countries and put huge burdens on them unless the tide is stemmed
    Most of them are seeking a better life and if we could only makd that better life where they originate from it would be far better for them
    But that needs a massive input to educate and show self sufficency and birth control and control of the population
    Just because some people dont see that alllowng the flood gates open with no control does not mean we are inhuman or not compassionate . It means we think the whole sorry story should be handled differently maybe
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a homeless person knocked your door and asked to lodge at your house for free, you feed, heat, clothe and wash them for free you'd say sorry I can't afford it. You'd say the same to these lorry clingers I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If a homeless person knocked your door and asked to lodge at your house for free, you feed, heat, clothe and wash them for free you'd say sorry I can't afford it. You'd say the same to these lorry clingers I'm afraid.

i`ve taken in a few people on just that basis over the years.
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that doesn`t make it ok to refer to them in derogatory terms.

:)

I did not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Because I was brought up, not just by my parents, but in a atmosphere of being able to show compassion to other human beings less fortunate than I. Even if you have no compassion, how can some people wish such an awful death on others (drowning and bombing)? I don't understand that mindset at all.

Obviously I wouldn't wish death on these people,but not showing any compassion,oh,what a shame.We have our own problems in this country without worrying about everyone else's.This country has gone to the dogs,we were supposed to be Great Britain,not anymore,were a bleeding laughing stock.My Grandad would be literally spinning in his grave,bless him