Options

Princess Diana died 17 years ago today

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God how I cringed as grown men publicly wept more at the death of some overprivileged clothes-horse they had never met than they would have at their own mother's funeral.

It was sheer mass hysteria - the herd mentality in overdrive.

I agree. One funny thing though, when my landlady heard the news she told me "Diana was hounded by the Pavarotti on mopeds". Well it made me laugh at the time :D
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha wolfsheadish.

I got woken up by my flatmate who told me the news, squealing, 'they're all dead!'.

Later, we then went to watch an afternoon showing of Men in Black (the first one) - quite fitting I thought.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Nicholas Owen fronted a documentary many years ago on ITV which looked at the conspiracy theories surrounding the crash. It was great, especially as they had done these really cool animation reconstructions of each theory, the best being these two black-clad ninjas on a motorcycle who rode in front of the Mercedes and flashed an industrial "Nightsun" type lamp at Henri Paul which caused the car to crash. It was so awesome.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    Not only that but she insisted that suffering and poverty and misery were actually holy. But when she got ill, she got herself shipped over to America by private jet for the best treatment.

An evil, hypocritical bitch.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An evil, hypocritical bitch.

A sad unstable woman who lacked confidence in herself that was ultimately destructive. I didn't worship her, or mourne her passing but I didn't hate her either. Just another sad life really.
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel more upset over the death of Robin Williams.

I never did get the hysteria surrounding her death and she was a thorn in the side for the Royal Family with the way she was setting up interviews like the Martin Bashir interview. Having lost a parent at an age just a bit older than William I genuinely felt for them, William and Harry having lost a parent but she just irritated me.

Robin Williams has contributed more to my life with his acting and humour.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    A sad unstable woman who lacked confidence in herself that was ultimately destructive. I didn't worship her, or mourne her passing but I didn't hate her either. Just another sad life really.

I think they're talking about Mother Theresa, not Diana
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certain she was contemplating a permanent move to America. She was very feted by Americans and her relationship here with the media was in tatters.

I wonder if she would still be alive now had she done so? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    I think they're talking about Mother Theresa, not Diana

:blush:. :blush:
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    :blush:. :blush:

Don't be embarrassed - it's almost impossible to tell them the apart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »

:o:D:D Sainted ones. :D
    Diana had a better line in head scarves. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »

As far as their image goes it is. :p

Both 'saints' in the popular imagination but actually anything but in reality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as their image goes it is. :p

Both 'saints' in the popular imagination but actually anything but in reality.

MOther Teresa has been beatified after a frankly dodgy miracle was attributed to her. Diana, not so much. But her playground in Kensington Gardens is great.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Judging by the way people still talk about her I'm glad I was merely a 5 year old and didn't really have to endure the media circus around it everywhere I looked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MOther Teresa has been beatified after a frankly dodgy miracle was attributed to her. Diana, not so much. But her playground in Kensington Gardens is great.

All miracles are dodgy as they do not exist. :D

And the Express thinks Diana was a bloody saint judging by the coverage she still gets in their rag.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the Express thinks Diana was a bloody saint judging by the coverage she still gets in their rag.

John XXIII got made a saint even though he was a miracle short. Talk about falling standards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think I have ever seen that explained. I know a lot of Express readers as I work with elderly people, and they would always readily admit that it was ridiculous. Was Al Fayed paying them to do it, do people think? Or was it just that they DO get absurd bees in their bonnets - it was the Express that had 120 Madeleine McCann cover stories in a row, wildly contradictory with each other, more or less (until a libel action stopped the game) trying out the same four stories in rotation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mother Teresa has been beatified after a frankly dodgy miracle was attributed to her..

Are there any other kind?
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    17 years, wow. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was all over the news channels and Candle in the wind was playing on almost every radio station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John XXIII got made a saint even though he was a miracle short. Talk about falling standards.

Val Kilmer was made The Saint after performing the miracle of getting through the casting without throwing one of his tantrums.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    17 years, wow. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was all over the news channels and Candle in the wind was playing on almost every radio station.

I remember it as no decent telly for about a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »

Elton let the whole country down when he performed that at the funeral...

...by neglecting to do it in the Donald Duck costume.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Judging by the way people still talk about her I'm glad I was merely a 5 year old and didn't really have to endure the media circus around it everywhere I looked.

Posts like this make me feel very old :D