• Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Completely open staircase in a house with two three-year-olds! :o
  • Options
    cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the black cladding, and the general concept of not building something too big but I actually think it was too small - or at least the way they had decided to use the space means that it won't always be enough for a family of four. I can't see the children being happy sharing a bedroom when they are older, knowing that another could pretty easily have been incorporated somewhere.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I liked the outside better than the inside. Way to much wood on view inside, for my liking. I really didnt like the bottom of the house, it was way to rough and ready for my liking. You have to admire the man, for wanting to do the work himself, but he was a bit foolish for working at night, to save £500. £500 in a budget of £120k odd is nothing.

Agree that staircase is way to dangerous for young kids.

Another thing, did the house not spoil the view from their parents house?
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't like this weeks at all. Just skipped to the 45min mark to see it finished, and was disappointed.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like this weeks at all. Just skipped to the 45min mark to see it finished, and was disappointed.

I didn't like it either. I admire the ambition but not the end result. Looked like a live-in sauna room. The couple were fairly boring too.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I kind of liked it, but the lack of the stair rail was a massive oversight, as was the tin roof (have they not heard how much the sound is rain is magnified by a tin roof, even when there's insulation underneath?).
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All that wood, major fire risk surely.
    wonder how much to insure?
  • Options
    ArtygillArtygill Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Did anyone notice in the final reveal that there were no electric sockets or switches visible at all on the new floors? There were a few lights but nothing else, not even in the kitchen.
    We had debated how they were going to run the cabling within the laminated timber panels and couldn't see how they would do it, but it seems they couldn't!
    Now, having just built a new kitchen extension ourselves, I know that there is a massive amount of electrical work needed, including mandatory smoke alarm, etc, so where is it?

Not for the first time, there seemed to be a high level of deception regarding that final reveal. I don't think they had moved in at all!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I didn't like it either. I admire the ambition but not the end result. Looked like a live-in sauna room.....
    The interior was my idea of pine hell. I would of at least had conventional looking painted walls and decent flooring plus avoided pine furniture. Downstairs looked worse than the original building. Also the steep steps down to the garden at the front seemed pointless. The building was crying out for a narrow patio balcony where the sliding window/doors were instead.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Artygill wrote: »
    Did anyone notice in the final reveal that there were no electric sockets or switches visible at all on the new floors? There were a few lights but nothing else, not even in the kitchen.
    We had debated how they were going to run the cabling within the laminated timber panels and couldn't see how they would do it, but it seems they couldn't!
    Now, having just built a new kitchen extension ourselves, I know that there is a massive amount of electrical work needed, including mandatory smoke alarm, etc, so where is it?

Not for the first time, there seemed to be a high level of deception regarding that final reveal. I don't think they had moved in at all!

They did show one chrome light switch. Since its timber they would have been able to cut a channel to run cabling in it. I would think, they would have a strip of wood to put into the channel to cover the cable.
  • Options
    ArtygillArtygill Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    They did show one chrome light switch. Since its timber they would have been able to cut a channel to run cabling in it. I would think, they would have a strip of wood to put into the channel to cover the cable.
    They did, but I believe that was in the original, ground floor. There were no sockets - you can't hide them!
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    I liked the outside better than the inside. Way to much wood on view inside, for my liking. I really didnt like the bottom of the house, it was way to rough and ready for my liking. You have to admire the man, for wanting to do the work himself, but he was a bit foolish for working at night, to save £500. £500 in a budget of £120k odd is nothing.

Agree that staircase is way to dangerous for young kids.

Another thing, did the house not spoil the view from their parents house?
    Loved the outside of the House too...shame the inside, looked like a Youth Hostel....it was awful.
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Completely open staircase in a house with two three-year-olds! :o
    Death Trap I tell you, the whole house - and how many Building Health & Safety rules, did Gregory break, I'm guessing most of them.:o
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member

Another finished product, totally devoid of the comforts for living. Perhaps people like this don't sit down like 'normal' folk and relax in nice comfortable seats or fry chip in their sterile-looking kitchens.
    I love Grand Designs and I suppose odd looking places is de rigueur?
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this week's episode. Did anybody hear anything about planning permission? They bought the building from her parents, but nothing was mentioned about the land or a lease, planning permission - things normal people have to consider.

Add this to the fact that essentially the bottom floor was already there and it becomes a bit false too to say they could build for approx £125k.

Not a true picture of the situation at all this week and no sign of any comfort apart from the couple's bed! Couldn't believe there were no hand rails anywhere - it would be a hard landing if their 3 year olds fell out of bed in the night. :D
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up with this last night. Liked the outside, but hated the inside - as others have said, it looked too much like a sauna. While the oak kitchen worktop looked striking, with all those cracks and crevices, I'd be worried about being able to keep it properly clean

Also, did they completely forget they had children :confused:

What looked like quite a drop from one side of the path up to the front door, very steep and potentially slippery steps up to the door, no hand rails, open stairs . . .

A grand design maybe . . . but not one I'd want to live in
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    If the couple in the first one had been able to do some cliff stabilisation, they could have done something like this hanging house.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they have a good supply of Dettol and tweezers, for removing splinters.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    If the couple in the first one had been able to do some cliff stabilisation, they could have done something like this hanging house.

Oh my! :o

I don't suffer from vertigo, but I don't think I could have a moment's relaxation in that place without worrying it was suddenly going to plunge into the sea
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this week's episode. Did anybody hear anything about planning permission? They bought the building from her parents, but nothing was mentioned about the land or a lease, planning permission - things normal people have to consider.

Add this to the fact that essentially the bottom floor was already there and it becomes a bit false too to say they could build for approx £125k.

Not a true picture of the situation at all this week and no sign of any comfort apart from the couple's bed! Couldn't believe there were no hand rails anywhere - it would be a hard landing if their 3 year olds fell out of bed in the night. :D
    Planning permission is necessary for every episode. Showing them obtaining it is not really part of the programme's brief.

The bedrooms were on the ground floor so handrails would not be an issue if someone fell out of bed. I don't see the lack of a stair handrail is a safety issue. It won't stop a child falling down stairs. It's more there for balance and confidence. Teaching the children to use the steps safely would not take long. Putting up physical barriers is not always the answer.
  • Options
    Laudrup1Laudrup1 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    Planning permission is necessary for every episode. Showing them obtaining it is not really part of the programme's brief.

The bedrooms were on the ground floor so handrails would not be an issue if someone fell out of bed. I don't see the lack of a stair handrail is a safety issue. It won't stop a child falling down stairs. It's more there for balance and confidence. Teaching the children to use the steps safely would not take long. Putting up physical barriers is not always the answer.

I think the point was that the beds had no guard rail on them. I noticed this too. They were essentially bunk beds with the mattress at the height of the side post. Couple of dreamy rolls and it's a three foot drop to the floor.

Stair cases would likely (if they've any sense) be blocked off with a child safety gate for the age they are but come being six or seven years old, a hand rail would be more than sensible.

It was the open sharp edges that got me. Looks nice but with kids running about it's a danger. I thought it should have been finished with a glass panel edging.

I thought more would have been made of the crane pin snapping. Someone very nearly died there. Shocking stuff.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

I take your point about planning permission, but it is mentioned when there are problems and I find it hard to believe there were no problems with the proposed building.

It's not about teaching children to use thee steps safely though, it's about preventing accidents and that goes for adults too.

Also, you'd think the buildings inspectors would be keeping a close eye on the build. Gregory wasn't just risking his life working in the dark. etc., he was risking the lives of anyone else on site too.

Not a good example for the show for me.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching the round house?

Quite impressed with the polystyrene and concrete foundation.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Nothing better than a large house shaped disagreement to see you into retirement.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the way the house is looking.

I can understand Chard's frustrations, but I do hope she comes round and loves her new home.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine having to clean all that glass !