The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was quite exciting.........the Aussie does the Irishman by half a second......:o
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get out of the big chair, mate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The BBC are covering the elite men's and elite women's races - TTs and road races

Starts today with the women's time trial on red button from 1.30pm........it's 29.5K

49 riders scheduled to take part - no Brits and no Vos......:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »
    When BBC coverage starts the UCI YouTube channel will probably be geo-blocked.

Looks like they've just blocked the whole day because the junior time trial has been blocked even tho' the Beeb are not covering it...........BBC coverage doesn't start until the women's race this afternoon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    ...BBC coverage doesn't start until the women's race this afternoon

They'll probably start with a roundup of the events so far.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of today's rainbow jerseys went to Germany today.

I checked out the list of world champions across age groups and it reminded me that one's level of performance at a young age is not a sure-fire indicator of future performance in the manner you expect.

For example, Tony Martin didn't make junior/U23 podiums at the WC, but still went on to win three world elite ITT titles. He's also the favourite for tomorrow's ITT.

On the other hand, the world junior ITT champion of 2005 & 2006 has become a supremo - not in time trials (though he's good in short variants), but in major flat races/stages involving bunch sprints. That rider happens to be Marcel Kittel.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    Wiggins seemed to be pretty confident saying the course suited him more than Tony Martin - we'll see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    men's time trial underway on BBC red button

sun is shining out in Spain........:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coming towards the end now and Wiggo has the fastest time at the mid-way time check

about 20 minutes to go..........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wiggo has 9 seconds on Martin at the 3rd checkpoint........30 seconds plus on everyone else

Looks between Wiggo and Martin..........fingers crossed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sir Wiggo !.............World Champion

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey..........he had 26 seconds on Martin at the finish........:o
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunning...... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well damn...picked the perfect day to forget recording the Red Button coverage, didn't I? Perhaps they will broadcast extended highlights during Saturday on BBC One before they switch to the elite women's road race.

Anyhow, that was an impressive ride by Wiggins - comprehensive margin of victory too. In spite of his high-quality palmarès (particularly on the track), he needed a road-discipline rainbow jersey for completeness. He has finally done the Olympic/World ITT career double, an achievement matched only by Miguel Indurain.

Whether or not we'll see that rainbow jersey in action next year is doubtful, though; assuming he commits fully to the team pursuit for the next 2 years, he may never participate in a TT again.
  • Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey..........he had 26 seconds on Martin at the finish........:o

dont see why your shocked.. in the Olympics he beat Martin by 42 seconds so you could argue that he was not on top form

I could kick myself for not having a big bet on Bradley to win this
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,780
    Forum Member
    Well damn...picked the perfect day to forget recording the Red Button coverage, didn't I? Perhaps they will broadcast extended highlights during Saturday on BBC One before they switch to the elite women's road race.

Anyhow, that was an impressive ride by Wiggins - comprehensive margin of victory too. In spite of his high-quality palmarès (particularly on the track), he needed a road-discipline rainbow jersey for completeness. He has finally done the Olympic/World ITT career double, an achievement matched only by Miguel Indurain.

Whether or not we'll see that rainbow jersey in action next year is doubtful, though; assuming he commits fully to the team pursuit for the next 2 years, he may never participate in a TT again.

You can check out the highlights on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8aiTx0ARg&list=UUloqTh1nPpW13LCntQglS-Q they may show the highlights on the BBC 1 or 2 coverage but unlikely on the red button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers.

Interestingly, Jill Douglas asked him if the rainbows would be on display next year. He told her he wants to ride in some domestic time trials, so the answer is yes. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont see why your shocked.. in the Olympics he beat Martin by 42 seconds so you could argue that he was not on top form

s

No, I seem to remember that Martin was riding injured at the Olympics. It's quite a while since Wiggins beat Martin apart from that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Wiggins) has finally done the Olympic/World ITT career double, an achievement matched only by Miguel Indurain.
    I somehow forgot about Fabian Cancellara, of all people. :blush:

1 Olympic and 4 World titles, in case you're wondering.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    Well done Bradley.

If that is his final major road TT then what a way to go out...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Well done Bradley.

If that is his final major road TT then what a way to go out...

I heard on the radio last night that he'll probably do some domestic TTs to show off the jersey

His main target now appears to be Paris-Roubaix
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard on the radio last night that he'll probably do some domestic TTs to show off the jersey
    I guess that is linked to the Wiggins/Sky development team said to be starting the middle of next season: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/18/bradley-wiggins-team-sky-british-cycling-olympics-rio

The UCI have announced long overdue changes to the anti-doping procedures. No longer delegated to national bodies to sanction riders as only UK-AD followed its recommendations recently. Two other countries sided with the rider.

This should see an end to the long winded appeals process seen with Contador. I suspect its too late in stopping his teammate continuing to draw out the legal process: https://twitter.com/pelotonmagazine/status/515220316222943233/photo/1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadel Evans announces his retirement for February 2015, after the end of the Aussie season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/29370959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Womens junior race coming up to the finish now! Looking like a bunch sprint....

Gold for Didericksen of Denmark.
    Silver Italy
    Bronze Poland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just caught the end of the junior women's race on the UCI channel

The Danish girl looked liked a Griepl riding against schoolgirls.......:o:D