Options

Recording when the start time is 00.00

I have recently purchased a Foxsat and I am generally very please with it. I am also pleased to have found this Forum which has proved to be an invaluable source of information and guidance not only of the purchase I made, and after delivery, the setting up of said box.

I have made some recordings, paused and watched, all the things that I expected the box to do, but last Saturday/Sunday I wanted to record Hero's and it failed to do so. I picked the program and hence the recording time from the EPG and asked for series recording, but as I've said it failed. Did anyone else have a problem?

My other question is, Is 00.00 the start of the day or is it the end of the day? In other words should I set the timer to come on at 23:59 on Saturday if I want to record a program that starts at midnight and runs into Sunday

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawbost wrote: »
    I have recently purchased a Foxsat and I am generally very please with it. I am also pleased to have found this Forum which has proved to be an invaluable source of information and guidance not only of the purchase I made, and after delivery, the setting up of said box.

I have made some recordings, paused and watched, all the things that I expected the box to do, but last Saturday/Sunday I wanted to record Hero's and it failed to do so. I picked the program and hence the recording time from the EPG and asked for series recording, but as I've said it failed. Did anyone else have a problem?

My other question is, Is 00.00 the start of the day or is it the end of the day? In other words should I set the timer to come on at 23:59 on Saturday if I want to record a program that starts at midnight and runs into Sunday

Glad you are happy with the box, and welcome to the forums :)

There have been just a couple of isolated posts on Heroes failed recordings, nothing definitive, though.

I'm just guessing from your last paragraph, are you editing the timer to ensure you get the start of it? This would change it into a Manual Timer, and not be Series Linked.

As long as you have Accurate Recording enabled, you should just navigate to the programme in the EPG, press OK, choose Series if you wish, and press OK to finish it.

Come back if this is not the situation.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,690
    Forum Member
    There is no such time at 00:00. On the 24 hour clock it goes 23:59 to 24:00 to 00:01. On the 12 hour clock it goes from 11:59pm to 12 midnight to 00:01am.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    There is no such time at 00:00. On the 24 hour clock it goes 23:59 to 24:00 to 00:01. On the 12 hour clock it goes from 11:59pm to 12 midnight to 00:01am.

Ok you try programming your PVR or any other equipement by keying in 24:00 they require an input of 0:00 for midnight.

Tell me what time is it at 15 seconds past midnight? Is it 24:00:15? No it's 0:00:15. A day is 24 hrs long no more no less not even a nano second as soon as the 24 hrs has elapsed it becomes the next day and that day starts at 0:00:00. The only reason you may see clocks like alarm clocks or cooker clocks with 24:00 is because it avoids confusion when setting them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Charlie wrote: »
    I'm just guessing from your last paragraph, are you editing the timer to ensure you get the start of it? This would change it into a Manual Timer, and not be Series Linked.

As long as you have Accurate Recording enabled, you should just navigate to the programme in the EPG, press OK, choose Series if you wish, and press OK to finish it.

Come back if this is not the situation.

Rgds.

Les.

Thanks for your reply, Les, no I haven't edited the time settings, all settings are as it came out of the box, with the exception of entering my postcode. I did choose it from the EPG and the series link, what I should have done, (with wonderful hindsight vision) is not cancelled the schedule and see if it recorded the next day. If I get this problem again I will do that. I was asking if I needed to set a manual early start to get around the 00:00, but you have answered this one by saying it will not do a series, so it's a no brainer really, I just hope it was a blip on Heroes as you seem to suggest others might have had a similar problem.

Charlie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply, Les, no I haven't edited the time settings, all settings are as it came out of the box, with the exception of entering my postcode. I did choose it from the EPG and the series link, what I should have done, (with wonderful hindsight vision) is not cancelled the schedule and see if it recorded the next day. If I get this problem again I will do that. I was asking if I needed to set a manual early start to get around the 00:00, but you have answered this one by saying it will not do a series, so it's a no brainer really, I just hope it was a blip on Heroes as you seem to suggest others might have had a similar problem.

Charlie

Charlie,

If the Series Linking on Heroes isn't working when you next try it, you can set a Manual Timer, if you are relatively confident that they don't muck about with the Start times of the programme.

I find that the best way to do this is from the EPG, and then go into the Schedule and edit it. Add 3/4 mins to the start, and the same to the end, then choose Weekly for the repeat (if it's on weekly, of course :) ). This way, it retains the programme name in the schedule for identification. If you just set up a blank timer from the the Schedule, I seem to remember it just lists the Channel instead of the Prog name.

I do this when recording Neighbours for my wife. Five are terrible at Series Links (they say they are still only "testing" it), but are good about actual start times; it's worked OK like this for quite a while now with no misses.

HTH.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was asking if I needed to set a manual early start to get around the 00:00, but you have answered this one by saying it will not do a series, so it's a no brainer really,
    Charlie

You can get around this by editing the schedule and setting it as a "repeat" recording as opposed to a series link. Just enter the epg and select the recording you want press ok and then select single recording, next press the yellow button and scroll to the reservation you just made, press yellow again and adjust the start and end times you prefer and then scroll to the repeat mode and press the ok button to toggle the option you require then scroll down to the ok icon and press ok
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,690
    Forum Member
    Ok you try programming your PVR or any other equipement by keying in 24:00 they require an input of 0:00 for midnight.
    I cannot answer for the ignorance of the people who code these things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your help on this.

Apart from anyone wanting to continue with the argument over when and how midnight is displayed I think it safe to say that my queries have been answered and that therefore this thread is finished as far as I'm concrened.

Charlie :)