Options

Man sues Walmart for split plastic carrier bag that led to his wife's death

2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A man is suing Wal-Mart for causing his wife's death, saying the failure of an overfilled plastic shopping bag indirectly killed her.

While she was walking to her car, the bag broke and its contents spilled out, with the tin of La Choy lying on her foot.

The heavy tin broke her big toe and caused a deep cut which later led to an infection.

The infection spread through her body and despite antibiotics, hospitalizations[sic] and two surgical procedures, 'ultimately resulted in her death on March 12, 2011'.

The lawsuit seeks nearly $657,000 for medical and funeral expenses, plus an unspecified amount for her pain and suffering and the loss to her husband.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2406872/Walmart-plastic-bag-lawsuit-husband-claims-broken-bag-led-wifes-death.html

Is this a rehash of an old story or does it take this long for cases to go through the legal system in America?

Is this an open and shut case to you? I can't help feel that there may have been many other circumstances involved - her state of health initially, whether she packed the bag herself or not, whether she'd have accepted a 2nd bag even if she was offered it, etc.

My first reaction was "this is a silly claim to make, for a split plastic bag" but having thought about it, his wife is dead, and if there is corporate lessons for Walmart to learn, maybe this is the wake-up call for them?

Strange/sad story, anyway.

Comments

• Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a really sad story for her to die don't get me wrong about that but surely whoever overfilled the bag (if it was him or his wife) needs to take the responsibility here? it was OVERFILLED so it was bound to break. Can hardly blame Wal-Mart for that
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Its a really sad story for her to die don't get me wrong about that but surely whoever overfilled the bag (if it was him or his wife) needs to take the responsibility here? it was OVERFILLED so it was bound to break. Can hardly blame Wal-Mart for that

Unless it was a Walmart hired/trained bag boy.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plaintiff is blaming Wal-Mart for not giving them more plastic bags at the checkout. According to the story they only received one from the cashier. They had no choice but to put everything in the same bag goes the narrative.

Guess it's up to a jury. Regardless of whether it's right or wrong Wal-Mart can afford to pay up and I can't imagine there's a flood of people waiting in the wings to sue them for the same thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yankie claim culture all over, and sadly already found it's way into our culture in the UK.

I would throw this out of court where ever it occured.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they should put health warnings on tins of La Choy.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm never going shopping again.
  • Options
    scheadschead Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walmart are indirectly responsible for a lot more deaths than the unfortunate death by can of La Choy. They sell lots of ammunition, which goes on to kill people. Indeed, on her second album, Sheryl Crow wrote a song about the true case of two children in Florida who bought bullets at a Wal-Mart in 1992 and then killed a man. Wal-Mart refused to sell the album, and Crow was locked out of the world's largest retail store.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, America.

The shopping bag didn't kill her. The tin didn't kill her. Even the cut didn't kill her. The infection killed her.

I guess it's easier to sue a supermarket than an infection.

BRB, off to sue cancer.

---

Seriously though there are a bajillion factors. I haven't read the article in full but the bag split, a tin dropped on her foot, made a cut and it got infected which led to her dying. For all we know she could have not taken care of the wound properly or something - blaming the supermarket/carrier bag seems like a stretch. 99.99999999999999% of people do not have this happen to them when shopping/using a carrier bag and 99% of people who get cuts on their big toe do not die -- which suggests there were other factors at play here.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can causation even be established?

Americans are so hyper-litigious, ffs.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Oh, America.

The shopping bag didn't kill her. The tin didn't kill her. Even the cut didn't kill her. The infection killed her.

I guess it's easier to sue a supermarket than an infection.

BRB, off to sue cancer.

---

Seriously though there are a bajillion factors. I haven't read the article in full but the bag split, a tin dropped on her foot, made a cut and it got infected which led to her dying. For all we know she could have not taken care of the wound properly or something - blaming the supermarket/carrier bag seems like a stretch. 99.99999999999999% of people do not have this happen to them when shopping/using a carrier bag and 99% of people who get cuts on their big toe do not die -- which suggests there were other factors at play here.

Well, I suppose the argument is that it was the cut from the can that allowed the infection to enter her bloodstream and so kill her.

Had the bag not split then the can would not have fallen and caused the cut.

Walmart gave her the bag, failing to provide sufficient for the weight of the products. As the experts in their own bags they should have known the bag was not strong enough and so are liable for the injury.

Given how much medical bills can be in the US I can't say I blame the family for the suit either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Given how much medical bills can be in the US I can't say I blame the family for the suit either.
    I wonder whether they have a family lawyer who advised them to sue Wal-Mart.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I wonder whether they have a family lawyer who advised them to sue Wal-Mart.

I'll bet it was a toss-up between whether to sue Wal-Mart or the hospital for clinical negligence but decided Wal-Mart because that claim would be far more lucrative.

I'm not a cynic at all.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member

Walmart gave her the bag, failing to provide sufficient for the weight of the products. As the experts in their own bags they should have known the bag was not strong enough and so are liable for the injury.

I can't really see every supermarket checkout employee getting extensive carrier bag training before being allowed to serve customers. Experts my arse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I'll bet it was a toss-up between whether to sue Wal-Mart or the hospital for clinical negligence but decided Wal-Mart because that claim would be far more lucrative.

I'm not a cynic at all.
    You're probably right but I wouldn't swap places with the guy no matter how much money he might win.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Where do you stop following the causal link.

Maybe it was his fault for having eaten the last of the food for breakfast FORCING his wife to go shopping. Should he sue his doctor for not stopping him overeating in the first place?
  • Options
    scheadschead Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really see every supermarket checkout employee getting extensive carrier bag training before being allowed to serve customers. Experts my arse.

Quite. I should imagine they are earning less money than an average 9 year old Chinese boy manufacturing iPhones for Apple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »
    Where do you stop following the causal link.

Maybe it was his fault for having eaten the last of the food for breakfast FORCING his wife to go shopping. Should he sue his doctor for not stopping him overeating in the first place?

Yes but even had that been the case, if the supermarket had provided a strong enough bag then the can would not have fallen. It is the broken bag that caused the accident and began the causation.

What the court needs to decide is whether a) Walmart were negligent in providing an inadequate bag; and b) whether any other negligence took place to break the chain (such as the hospital not cleaning the wound properly etc).

The problem in this case is whether it would be reasonable for a lay person to assume it would be strong enough. The supermarket however would have access to the specifications of the bag and so be aware of the risk such a weight presented. Given that, they should have taken more precautions by telling their checkout staff to provide two bags for heavy items.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Even if you argue that Walmart are at fault in not supplying 2 bags ~ and you can argue he has to share the responsibility if he complained at the time that the bag wasn't strong enough ~ Walmart may well argue that she died due to inadequate medical care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »
    Even if you argue that Walmart are at fault in not supplying 2 bags ~ and you can argue he has to share the responsibility if he complained at the time that the bag wasn't strong enough ~ Walmart may well argue that she died due to inadequate medical care.

He wasn't there I don't think - and the cashier packed the bag according to this report.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/23280030/man-said-overfilled-walmart-shopping-bag-led-to-wifes-death
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    BRB, off to sue cancer.

Go for broke, sue DNA. :D
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wasn't there I don't think - and the cashier packed the bag according to this report.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/23280030/man-said-overfilled-walmart-shopping-bag-led-to-wifes-death

So the bag contained 7 pounds weight. Hardly the fault of Walmart if the bag then splits
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    How can causation even be established?

Americans are so hyper-litigious, ffs.

What do you call a thousand tort lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    What do you call a thousand tort lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

No great loss to civilisation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad if its true (both her death and fact he's suing Walmart) but I am hoping that someone is just trolling the Daily Mail by making up stories for its reporters and readership to dramatically huff and puff over!

I often wonder how rediculous a story must be before even they question the facts.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    No great loss to civilisation?

A good start.

Yours works too, but it's not as pithy. :p