Options

Daily Express "Huge Atlantic Storm" - hyperbole or serious?

2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The UK faces the WORST hurricane-force winds and torrential rain this winter and possibly for DECADES.
And forecasters warned there will be NO let up in the extreme stormy weather until at least the end of the month.
The entire west coast is braced for colossal 75 foot-plus waves to crash inland this weekend triggering unchecked flooding and widespread destruction.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458321/Weather-warning-Atlantic-storm-will-smash-into-Britain-and-devastate-southern-coasts

Is this a case of the boy who cried wolf or is it seriously going to be as bad as they claim? The report does seem a tad excessive. But if true it's kinda scary.

Comments

• Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    It's the Daily Express. So hyperbole. always.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    It's the Daily Express. So hyperbole. always.

Absolutely.

Any severe weather story is always hyperbole in the Daily Express.
  • Options
    roth30roth30 Posts: 3,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks big looking at theses two sites but we will have to see if the effects are as bad as the paper says .

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=1.62,54.81,1818

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458321/Weather-warning-Atlantic-storm-will-smash-into-Britain-and-devastate-southern-coasts

Is this a case of the boy who cried wolf or is it seriously going to be as bad as they claim? The report does seem a tad excessive. But if true it's kinda scary.
    Well, language like 'worst', 'possibly for decades' and 'extreme stormy weather' are all subjective terms or hedging their bets, so whilst it's un-doubtedly OTT, that doesn't mean it won't be true for some people.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Met Office weather warning is for up to 30mm of rain and possible 60mph gusts of wind.

So, hyperbole I think.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As they have a weather horror story every week, I wont take any notice. Things are bad enough without this rubbish every week.

A typhoon at their works would be welcome though.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Express weather headline is just a joke. At least twice a week there's a doomsday scenario relating to the weather, and it's always the front page headline. God knows what they'd publish if there was no weather!
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    The Met Office weather warning is for up to 30mm of rain and possible 60mph gusts of wind.

So, hyperbole I think.

60mph? A mere breeze.
    We had 73mph a couple of nights ago.
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    The Daily Express weather headline is just a joke. At least twice a week there's a doomsday scenario relating to the weather, and it's always the front page headline. God knows what they'd publish if there was no weather!

Only twice a week, i take it you don't see the other 5 days of "oh woe is us" weather headlines then.
    I keep waiting for the back pages to be "football to be destroyed by massive storm" line
    Th Express is a joke with this weather thing, way way beyond in fact.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the wording used in that story, even by the low standards that the Express (and Nathan Rao) sets when it comes to "reporting" weather events, it's bordering on irresponsible. Reading it you would almost expect the apocalypse.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Express is edited by the inmates of some mental institution somewhere in the UK.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Daily express say a hurricane is on the way"....

Actual result....a few bins blown over.

Best leave the forecasting to women who phone the BBC.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    roth30 wrote: »
    It looks big looking at theses two sites but we will have to see if the effects are as bad as the paper says .

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=1.62,54.81,1818

What a beautiful website! :)
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No newspaper ever prints new which is representative of life and death on this planet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it the Express who were predicting three months of sub zero temperatures and blizzards into March, just before Xmas?

I don't believe anything I read in a newspaper nowadays. They're a dying industry and are resorting to more and more crap to try and stay afloat for the last few years of their lives.
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »

DID DIANA'S DRIVER HAVE BIRD FLU?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Scaremongering as always. I think they make up stories like that for dramatic effect. What's worse though is that my mum seems to believe anything they say about the weather :( I told her to be sceptical about weather forecasts but she isn't.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Here in Cornwall we're taking it seriously. It has been predited for over a week that a second storm, worse han the one that earlier in the week, is on the way.

We've already had a wave, recorded by the bouy off Penzance, with a height of just over 74 feet. The flooding around the coast also attestes to the poor weather. There were gusts of wind on Sunday night reaching 92 mph.

So, although there isn't a lot we can do about it, we're preparing for the worst and hoping it isn't as bad as predicted.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Well the graphic at the top of his article is of wave heights and he is trying to imply its rain....

There is a deep low going to cross the uk again on Saturday, it will be very windy for some. But it doesn't look as bad as 87, this low will have done most of its deepening before it hits land, in 87 it did it over the land hence why it wasn't forecast well.

It's wrong that he can make up headlines like that...we may laugh it off here but he is scaremongering as some will believe him causing undue worry
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

Well here's what the Express said last week:
    BRITAIN will be gripped by the big chill this week – with up to eight inches of snow expected in some parts of the country.

Freezing gales and blizzards will hit the North, while fierce easterly winds will see temperatures plummet to -5C (23F) in the South by the week’s end.

The easterly winds will make it feel closer to -10C (14F) in exposed parts of the North and experts warned of widespread ice and frosts.

Need I say more?

It will of course be stormy in places, and wet again from tonight for a day or so. Normal Winter stormy, that is, in Southampton for example, the Met Office aren't even forecasting a technical gale at any time (gusts are higher of course). 31 mph maximum mean wind speed (force 6 to 7) and that's 30 feet up, not at ground level.

Coastal cliff tops and 90 foot anemometer masts (yes a few really are that tall!) will obviously be much higher and that's what will be reported... but who lives in those places? Oh, flat dwellers I suppose, I hope they remember to shut their windows.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

Whatever happened to the Express's "Snowmageddon" ??
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Need I say more?

It will of course be stormy in places, and wet again from tonight for a day or so. Normal Winter stormy, that is, in Southampton for example, the Met Office aren't even forecasting a technical gale at any time (gusts are higher of course). 31 mph maximum mean wind speed (force 6 to 7).

Coastal cliff tops and 90 foot anemometer masts (yes a few really are that tall!) will obviously be much higher and that's what will be reported... but who lives in those places?

Its not a 'normal winter storm' though is it - please tell me when the last time we had one of these winters with 78 foot waves and this much flooding and the railway line being washed away which certainly isn't 'normal'?

You can pick a decade if you cant pick a year.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Its not a 'normal winter storm' though is it -
    What's being forecast for tomorrow, which is what we are discussing, is tomorrow's storm and the Express's hyperbole. A normal Winter storm is being forecast. Something to be taken seriously of course - as with all storms. The reality when it happens could turn out to be worse or less than forecast, I'm just saying what's being forecast on the Met Office website for a random southern town, Southampton (because it's well inside the amber warning areas and is in my part of the Country).

What's different this year is the relentless succession of rainy days, and embedded gale or storm force winds from time to time, which may be up there with the Winter of 1962-3 for unusualness, but in a different way of course.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    roth30 wrote: »

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

That does look huge..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you lot ALWAYS quote a newspaper? You know that pissy piece of paper filled with lies. Try watching the weather on tv & get ur info from ACTUAL professionals who know there onions. So OK it's not an exact science but it's pretty darn close.