Scrap the points system

sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, this might sound silly coming off one of the most exciting premier league seasons in years but I was thinking the other day about how much I hate draws and how the importance should always be on winning the game. I know the Football League already addressed this when they went from 2 pts for a win to 3, but how about this.

The league system be decided purely on wins. Most wins takes the title. Now having a quick look at the tables the only English league which would have had a different winner was league 1. Generally the team with the most wins ends up league champion anyway.

BUT

by using this system draws would be completely meaningless and equal to a loss. Jose wouldn't be able to park his bus. EVERYONE would play to win. It would make the race for the title and the relegation battle tighter for longer.

Obviously a lot of teams would tie on wins but you then go to the following tie breakers. Head to head results, if still not separated you go head to head goal difference. If still tied, league goal difference, then goals for.

Probably just a daft idea in my head but I think it would make football even more exciting than it already is.

As a fan of Rugby League I love the fact that when I sit down to watch a game it is very unlikely to end as a draw. a 0-0 under my system in the last 5 mins would be a frantic end to end thriller rather than the current system where two mid table teams could knock it round happy to pick up a point, or worse still Jose Mourinho parking his bus away from home against the top 4.

Criticisms welcome!

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we should change the entire fabric of football because people whinge about Jose Mourinho, no.

If anyone feels cheated by watching a draw maybe football isn't really for them.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's tie players legs together or line up all the players every week and let them take it in turns to see who plays for them.

I not sure if people really understand football nowadays
  • sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I don't think we should change the entire fabric of football because people whinge about Jose Mourinho, no.

If anyone feels cheated by watching a draw maybe football isn't really for them.

The main point was to make the season more exciting for longer. I know it went to the last game this season but that isn't normally the case.

The idea is to get every team to play to win all the time. Which should be the norm anyway.
  • Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Crystal Palace, you have performed a miracle securing 3-3 draw against title chasing Liverpool - for that you get nothing. Try to win next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sergio2006 wrote: »
    The main point was to make the season more exciting for longer. I know it went to the last game this season but that isn't normally the case.

The idea is to get every team to play to win all the time. Which should be the norm anyway.

Football doesn't need artificial excitement thrown in by completing removing the idea of a draw, it's fine.

Right now, if you go a goal down you're one away from getting something out of a game. Under your proposal you'd be two goals away from getting anything. Teams would close up completely in terror and try to snatch a goal, and football would be both dull and ruined at the same time.

A last-minute equaliser is exciting, so advocating its removal seems at odds with your intention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course they all go out to win games, this playing for a draw is just media nonsense. Teams play to their strengths.

We have seen some great games that have ended up as draws.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about results altogether and just have points for goals. Lose 4-5 and you get four points. Let's forget about keepers as well, get even more goals. Pretty soon we'll start getting basketball scores, that's what I want to see.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Draws can be more exciting than wins - a 3-3 or 4-4 draw tends to be more exciting than a 1-0 win.

Maybe to encourage attacking football there should be bonus points for goals scored say 1 point if a team scores 3 or more, win lose or draw eg draw 3-3 get 2 points each, win 4-3 winner gets 4 points loser 1 , win 3-2 winner gets 4 points loser 0 etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More people attended games this year then last. The new TV deal is bigger then ever and we have a new broadcaster trying to buy as many games as possible

We have just had one of the tightest title races for along time all taken place when the actual quality of the product is not what it was a few years ago.

If something is working don't try to muck around with it
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    More people attended games this year then last. The new TV deal is bigger then ever and we have a new broadcaster trying to buy as many games as possible

We have just had one of the tightest title races for along time all taken place when the actual quality of the product is not what it was a few years ago.

If something is working don't try to muck around with it

I agree. You either enjoy football or you don't, it's as simple as that. I was tempted to say that the OP was talking nonsense, but at least he was honest enough to say Rugby League is his game of choice. I don't understand genuine football fans wanting to change things. If you didn't enjoy the PL title race and relegation battle this season, perhaps it's time to give football a rest for a while.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about extra points for fielding England-Qualified players

I know Greg would agree with me.....:D
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jose wouldn't be able to park his bus.

Criticisms welcome!

If you look back on this years PL, you will see that chelsea thrashed the teams around and above them.

Hardly parking the bus and playing for draws.

Did he park the bus when beating Arsenal 6-0?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    OP doesn't 'get' football - end of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Jose may have parked the bus against Liverpool, but didnt they win that game!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darreldo wrote: »
    Jose may have parked the bus against Liverpool, but didnt they win that game!

We played counter attacking football in that game, with a much depleted squad - and won 0-2
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if we have a penalty shoot out at the end of a drawn Premiership game to decide the winner then the England team would benefit by not going out on penatlies in the World Cup, as the players would be experts at taking them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Perhaps if we have a penalty shoot out at the end of a drawn Premiership game to decide the winner then the England team would benefit by not going out on penatlies in the World Cup, as the players would be experts at taking them!

what is wrong with a draw?

this is not american sports
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait until 'parking the bus' dies out as a phrase. If people cry over defending, go see when the Harlem Globetrotters are coming to town or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. You either enjoy football or you don't, it's as simple as that. I was tempted to say that the OP was talking nonsense, but at least he was honest enough to say Rugby League is his game of choice. I don't understand genuine football fans wanting to change things. If you didn't enjoy the PL title race and relegation battle this season, perhaps it's time to give football a rest for a while.

If we was comparing a sport that have recently signed a domestic TV deal with 3billion pounds with another sport that had signed one for 200 million or one with attendances going up against one with attendances going down I could understand it. But its the revese.

Heard about Amercian football as well. Not a sport that is what you would call massive outside of America while our league is massive across the globe.

I think people need to learn to make their own excitment more then trying to get it from changing one of the biggest sports brands in the world
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    what is wrong with a draw?

this is not american sports
    Nothing per se but it can lead to boring ends to games when teams settle for a point.

Perhaps an alternative points scoring system could be - one point for winning the first half and one point for winning the second half and a point for winning the overall game. So teams would get nothing for a 0-0 draw and would need to win both halves to get the full 3 points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing per se but it can lead to boring ends to games when teams settle for a point.

Perhaps an alternative points scoring system could be - one point for winning the first half and one point for winning the second half and a point for winning the overall game. So teams would get nothing for a 0-0 draw and would need to win both halves to get the full 3 points.

Boring to who?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im sorry, but that is a terrible idea!

Great games can end in draws.

Lesser teams are desperate for a point when playing City etc - a draw IS a great result for them. If they got nothing for it, what is the point of them ever turning up?
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »

100% agreed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    100% agreed

Absolutely

Not another 4-4 draw. Terrible, i would demand my money back.
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astra 1A wrote: »
    Sorry Crystal Palace, you have performed a miracle securing 3-3 draw against title chasing Liverpool - for that you get nothing. Try to win next time.

You beat me to it.

A team fights back from 3-0 in the last 11 minutes to 3-3 but get absolutely nothing for it. Brilliant.

I've also seen many a game where the two teams have gone full throttle at each for the 90 minutes and the game has ended goalless.