Climate change shock as methane is now leaking from the arctic

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2719727/Were-f-ked-Climate-change-catastrophe-mankind-study-shows-methane-leaking-Arctic-Ocean-scientist-warns.html

Its not just the Daily Mail saying this-its numerous respected publications and scientific blogs.Methane gas which is 20 times stronger in its warming hwat trapping effects is now starting to leak from the permafrost in the arctic and as the article says if only a small percentage of the methane stored there is released into the environment then were all fu***d its game over for humanity on earth.

Its really not looking good as the warming in the arctic will eventually start a negative feedback loop./vicious cycle.

Comments

• CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy fart-smell, Batman!
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not worry the climate change deniers on DS will be along very soon to deny it.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    Do not worry the climate change deniers on DS will be along very soon to deny it.

For some reason I dont find that reassuring!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Where was this methane before it was trapped under the ice?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to get a rig up there and get this stuff canned before the Russian’s cut of Europe’s fuel next winter.:D
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Where was this methane before it was trapped under the ice?[/QU

In the atmosphere,likely a not very human friendly atmosphere.Theres lots of good scientific knowledge in the link.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where was this methane before it was trapped under the ice?
    Ask Roger Purvis. I bet he knows something about this. >:(
    Forum Member
    In the atmosphere,likely a not very human friendly atmosphere.Theres lots of good scientific knowledge in the link.

Life will adapt. The Earth is constantly warming and cooling.

http://z.hubpages.com/u/401675_f520.jpg
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could just burn off the excess gas. Problem solved ;-) No need for any panic :D
    Forum Member

I will read your link when I believe youve read mine,Currently I dont think you have your just giving me your stock response to climate change threads.

Which life will adapt?
    Forum Member
    I will read your link when I believe youve read mine,Currently I dont think you have your just giving me your stock response to climate change threads.

Which life will adapt?

I have read both of your links and don't have a stock response to climate change threads.

Life in general will adapt to survive in a methane-rich atmosphere, as it has done for millions of years previously.

There's nothing we can do about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what's the bottom line if this doomsday scenario occurs? What would actually happen and when?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the sh!t hits the fan, it probably won't be in my lifetime, so I will continue to leave my mefia centre computer running over night & other equipment on standby. I will continue to go on flights as of when I can afford to, and I will continue to have a nice juicy steak once a week. I don't drive but I will continue to enjoy my lifestyle.
    Forum Member
    I have read both of your links and don't have a stock response to climate change threads.

Life in general will adapt to survive in a methane-rich atmosphere, as it has done for millions of years previously.

There's nothing we can do about it.

I dont think human life will adapt.
    If this scientist is right and I think he is its probably too late to do anything.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the sh!t hits the fan, it probably won't be in my lifetime, so I will continue to leave my mefia centre computer running over night & other equipment on standby. I will continue to go on flights as of when I can afford to, and I will continue to have a nice juicy steak once a week. I don't drive but I will continue to enjoy my lifestyle.

'Waste not, want not' is still an admirable edict, regardless of Climate Change.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member

I'm a Climate Change sceptic, I don't have an opinion one way or another at the moment, just that climate change will happen with or without us, it happened constantly throughout history and will continue to happen. Although I am slowly leaning more towards we are having an effect just not as much as some people think.

But your thought that Life will adapt, is taken straight from Jurrasic Park. If Climate Change and so bad that it will change the earths climate so drastically in a short period that human life will die out is true then your line is irrelevant, life can only adapt to a new environment if it is given enough time for DNA to adapt and that is something that is gradual over thousands of years, not something that we wake up one day and suddenly we can breathe methane.

You say in another post that life has adapted for millions of years, but you forget to mention that thousands of species die out each time there is a change to the climate due to not being able to adapt.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member

Forget climate change, your electric bill must be high leaving your media centre pc on over night, I only turn mine on when I'm using it, takes what 5 seconds to boot up.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    We need to get a rig up there and get this stuff canned before the Russian’s cut of Europe’s fuel next winter.:D

Wont happen, any threat of the taps being turned off, you watch how fast we drop the sanctions :D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Those pesky seals, polar bears and walrus - cull them I say.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Forget climate change, your electric bill must be high leaving your media centre pc on over night, I only turn mine on when I'm using it, takes what 5 seconds to boot up.

My electric bill isn't that high thankfully, I like to leave my media centre pc on overnight as it enables me or my partner to watch any of my movie / tv show rips on the bedroom television via dlna. Even tho I am a sky subscriber, I cannot have multi room due to being in a communal building with only a single feed going into my flat. Using the media centre pc, saves on a now box subscription or other streaming subscription.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Oh well, we'll be long gone by then.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It doesn't cost that much to run so a to generate a high bill.
    Forum Member
    I'm a Climate Change sceptic, I don't have an opinion one way or another at the moment, just that climate change will happen with or without us, it happened constantly throughout history and will continue to happen. Although I am slowly leaning more towards we are having an effect just not as much as some people think.

But your thought that Life will adapt, is taken straight from Jurrasic Park. If Climate Change and so bad that it will change the earths climate so drastically in a short period that human life will die out is true then your line is irrelevant, life can only adapt to a new environment if it is given enough time for DNA to adapt and that is something that is gradual over thousands of years, not something that we wake up one day and suddenly we can breathe methane.

You say in another post that life has adapted for millions of years, but you forget to mention that thousands of species die out each time there is a change to the climate due to not being able to adapt.

Precisely life will adapt is so vague as to be meaningless given most life on earth isnt human.
    Forum Member
    Precisely life will adapt is so vague as to be meaningless given most life on earth isnt human.

We weren't here before, and there'll be a time when we aren't here again.

The universe won't cease to exist when we do.