Options

Best "paid for" antivirus protection.

DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have decided to upgrade (hopefully) my antivirus protection by replacing the free Avira I've been using, and upgrading to a paid for package. Some online reviews recommend BitDefender, but when I asked about it in PC World, the staff member said he'd never heard of it, also, I read that it can be a bit difficult to install. I would like to get the best protection available, one that allows me to protect two machines (or more) and not just for malware, but for popups and other unwanted, unsolicited adverts that appear on my screen. Is there such a product, if so, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Kaspersky is the AV of choice in my house. You pay for it but it's definitely worth it. It offers the best protection against malware and other nasties. Stay away from Norton or McAfee!
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    I have decided to upgrade (hopefully) my antivirus protection by replacing the free Avira I've been using, and upgrading to a paid for package. Some online reviews recommend BitDefender, but when I asked about it in PC World, the staff member said he'd never heard of it, also, I read that it can be a bit difficult to install. I would like to get the best protection available, one that allows me to protect two machines (or more) and not just for malware, but for popups and other unwanted, unsolicited adverts that appear on my screen. Is there such a product, if so, please let me know. Thanks.

Bitdefender is good. If the paid version is anything like the free version it is easy to install. PC World staff are notoriously bad at giving advice unless it results in them them selling you something expensive.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never ever ask in PC World for computer advice. :D

Do you have online banking? If so some banks offer free AV software. For example with Barclays online banking you can get a 3 user licence for Kaspersky Internet Security. That is how I get it.

But even if I wasn't getting it free I would seriously consider dipping my hand in my pocket and paying for it.

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/internet-security

What I get is the 3PCs 1 Year option which would normally be 45 quid.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    If you are going to pay then Eset NOD32 or Kaspersky would be my choice.

Think before paying extra for the full suites though as many home users do not need all the extra components. Decent AV combined with UAC and regular scans with MBAM should be sufficient for most. Don't forget to keep the OS and any installed software up to date too.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that even the very best AV can only do so much and is pretty much useless when coupled with an inexperienced or careless user - especially when faced with the massive amount of rogue software and scams that are around at the moment. So whatever AV you get, don't expect miracles.

You should also ensure you have a decent adblocker installed in your browser. It's free, takes a few seconds to install and can make a big difference.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaspersky is the AV of choice in my house. You pay for it but it's definitely worth it. It offers the best protection against malware and other nasties. Stay away from Norton or McAfee!

We tried mcafee, and it allowed something through that spammed our banking apps. So back to kaspersky. 3 user licence for £25 approx.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    l'd suggest looking at antivirus packages in the top right of this this diagram here https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Oct13-Apr14-1200.jpg and at the AV Test results here http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest[type]=3 (you'll have to select the appropriate operating system category).
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    BitDefender for us - found it very good.
  • Options
    2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I have Norton and I've never had a problem with it.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2000motels wrote: »
    I have Norton and I've never had a problem with it.

Doesn't mean nothing is going wrong that you don't know about, though... especially if you 'only' have Norton and don't run any adware/malware checks with a separate prog...
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Avast, Malwarebytes, Ultra Virus Killer, Spybot Search & Destroy and SuperAnti Spyware.
  • Options
    Biggles1000Biggles1000 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Doesn't mean nothing is going wrong that you don't know about, though... especially if you 'only' have Norton and don't run any adware/malware checks with a separate prog...
    I also use Norton without a problem and I periodically run Malwarebytes, SuperAnti Spyware as well. These very rarely pick up nasties that Norton might have missed.

No antivirus program is 100% efficient!
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaspersky
  • Options
    DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thanks to all who responded with such helpful advice and suggestions to my op. D. :)
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No antivirus program is 100% efficient!

We know, and Norton isn't the top dog it used to be, repeatedly being pipped by the likes of Kaspersky and eSet along with freebies like Avira and Avast.

Paying for AV doesn't guarantee your safety but, equally, if you're the kind of bod who clicks and downloads anything from anywhere then nothing will protect you all of the time.
  • Options
    Biggles1000Biggles1000 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    We know, and Norton isn't the top dog it used to be, repeatedly being pipped by the likes of Kaspersky and eSet along with freebies like Avira and Avast.

Paying for AV doesn't guarantee your safety but, equally, if you're the kind of bod who clicks and downloads anything from anywhere then nothing will protect you all of the time.

Even those who don't click and download anything from anywhere get caught out, on occasion!

No one is immune, no matter how careful they are! :)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine uses bit defender and from what I have seen of it, it looks good, not sure if I would pay the price to be honest unless I can get it at a good price.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I would like to get the best protection available,
    "Best" is hard to quantify! A lot of large organisations use Sophos Antivirus - who have never set themselves up to sell in a large scale to the public directly (but they do have 24-hour support for those whose need it!)
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id go for Aviras AntiVir Premium if buying, im using the free version, and its very highly rated by independant labs, so the Premium should be good as well.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    We tried mcafee, and it allowed something through that spammed our banking apps. So back to kaspersky. 3 user licence for £25 approx.

McAfee is terrible. This is the best thing to do with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg :D
  • Options
    2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Even those who don't click and download anything from anywhere get caught out, on occasion!

No one is immune, no matter how careful they are! :)
    Unless you use Linux.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    2000motels wrote: »
    Unless you use Linux.
    Nope.

Linux cuts out some of the risks by not being able to run Windows code out-of-the-box but there is nothing to stop me or anyone else knocking up something that causes a ton of damage to a Linux install then masquerade it as some form of pirate software, music, screensavers.... whatever.

The weakest link in the chain is always the user.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McAfee is terrible. This is the best thing to do with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg :D

That was brilliant :D