Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The honourable thing.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, can't say I'm a fan but he gave independence a good shot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, he actually looks like he's about to cry. A tired, defeated man.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron & Clegg should join him for making those rash promises of more money to Scotland
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    I reckon Gordon Brown might be the next First Minister.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Rab C Nesbitt!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hardly surprising.

Always risky to stake your entire political career on a single issue.

He shoved it all on red and it came up black.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was all he could do really. His entire political career has been dedicated to gaining independence for Scotland. He has failed.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Untenable situation
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Eck

stage 2 complete
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some days you eat the bear ...
    Can't say I for one am sorry, but you have to feel for the guy. So close to his dream, and he won't have another crack at it.
    Stilll, he's got his place in history. ironically partly because he didn't get his way but will be the catalyst for a monumental constitutional change.

IMO it's been a lucky escape for everyone, though. I strongly suspect the public would have finally seen the very different Salmond that people who have worked with him have, and he'd have slowly torn the whole country apart with his vision.

(and no, I am not a Unionist, or a Seperatist).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    If it had been a Yes vote, there would have been pressure on Cameron to resign, so I suppose the vice versa of this has happened. i didn't expect it, but it's a logical conclusion.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland will be brought into line now by Westminster now that Alex is out of the way, can't see Scotland given anything now as westminster are going to drag it out as long as possible
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm genuinely surprised and disappointed by this. Quitting as both First Minister and SNP leader is a major decision. He's done a lot of good for this country. My family has saved a fortune in prescription charges and council tax has been frozen for what, six years or so?

I'd like to see Nicola Sturgeon step up. She's good.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very dodgy character. Well rid of him.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he is proud of dividing Scotland the way he has, some legacy that.

Jerk!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dignified resignation speech from a decent man who gave it his best shot

I'm no supporter of Independance or the SNP, but we couldn't have had a better First Minister.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I hope he is proud of dividing Scotland the way he has, some legacy that.

Jerk!

Yes

who would have thought asking people in Scotland what they want to do and giving them a yes or no choice would create a division

Naughty man, he should have told them what they wanted and than we could all have united under his dictatorship

(i mean really.....)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    A dignified resignation speech from a decent man who gave it his best shot

I'm no supporter of Independance or the SNP, but we couldn't have had a better First Minister.

Not many would disagree in Scotland
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    Yes

who would have thought asking people in Scotland what they want to do and giving them a yes or no choice would create a division

Naughty man, he should have told them what they wanted and than we could all have united under his dictatorship

(i mean really.....)

Regardless he was instrumental in causing this divide which I am sure is far from over and will cause many future problems.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Happy he is going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I'm no supporter of Independance or the SNP, but couldn't we have had a better First Minister.
    There. Saved you the trouble of editing your post :D
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has done the honorable thing but I'm still not sorry to see the back of him.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Scotland will be brought into line now by Westminster now that Alex is out of the way, can't see Scotland given anything now as westminster are going to drag it out as long as possible

The PM has set out a timetable for the changes. I doubt he'd have done that if he meant to dump the deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Regardless he was instrumental in causing this divide which I am sure is far from over and will cause many future problems.

There is no divide its called politics and by this time next week we will have moved on, you obviously have no idea about the Scots

This referendum has engaged and invigorated the nation and brought youngsters to politics. Its been amazing:)