Options

What British shows have been on Network Primetime in the US in the past?

jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
Forum Member
Off the top of my head, I know (or think I know) that The Avengers (only from Diana Rigg's episodes onwards), Dangerman and The Prisoner, The Saint (with Roger Moore).

And I'm excluding PBS channels so I mean Primetime on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.

Comments

• Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of the Lew Grade programmes from ITC were as they were made in colour long before the UK changed from b/w. (Plus they had the best theme tunes/openings)
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merlin was shown on NBC for one series.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    BBC2's mini-series The Six Wives Of Henry VIII (from 1970) aired on CBS in 1971.
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've read somewhere that Monty Python & Fireball XL5 were on the Networks.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Third Man, a BBC series about an international private detective starring Michael Rennie, aired on NBC in the 1950s and was the first British series on US network TV.
    In the 60s ATV made a series of spectaculars starring Tom Jones for ABC, they were shot in colour at Elstree.

CBS produced US versions of Steptoe and Son and Till Death Us Do Part which were very successful; a US version of Dad's Army wasn't.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Short lived ITV Saturday night show from about 4 years ago ‘Penn and Teller: Fool Us’ hosted by Jonathan Ross, has just finished airing in primetime on The CW.
    It’s actually proved quite successful, so much so that The CW are thinking about commissioning a second series (it was axed after one series by ITV). They may even get Jonathan Ross to host again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    CBS produced US versions of Steptoe and Son and Till Death Us Do Part which were very successful; a US version of Dad's Army wasn't.

Well, American remakes of UK series don't count for this subject. And Sanford And Son was an NBC series, not CBS.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Well, American remakes of UK series don't count for this subject. And Sanford And Son was an NBC series, not CBS.

My apologies I hadn't realised you were now moderating this thread
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Short lived ITV Saturday night show from about 4 years ago ‘Penn and Teller: Fool Us’ hosted by Jonathan Ross, has just finished airing in primetime on The CW.
    It’s actually proved quite successful, so much so that The CW are thinking about commissioning a second series (it was axed after one series by ITV). They may even get Jonathan Ross to host again.

I really enjoyed that show was there not an xmas special too
  • Options
    GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Man in a Suitcase, a 1967–1968 British television series produced by Lew Grade's ITC Entertainment. It originally aired in the UK on ITV from 27 September 1967, to 17 April 1968. ABC (USA) broadcast episodes of Man in a Suitcase in the United States from 3 May 1968, to 20 September 1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaFKOT2vxRw
  • Options
    GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    ITC mystery spy thriller The Saint.

As a result of the strong performance in the US of the first two black-and-white series in first-run syndication, NBC picked up the show as a summer replacement (series 3) in its evening schedule in 1966.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, I know (or think I know) that The Avengers (only from Diana Rigg's episodes onwards), Dangerman and The Prisoner, The Saint (with Roger Moore).

And I'm excluding PBS channels so I mean Primetime on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.

The Persuaders
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    I think most of the Lew Grade programmes from ITC were as they were made in colour long before the UK changed from b/w. (Plus they had the best theme tunes/openings)
    Also the earlier B&W series - Robin Hood (CBS), Sir Lancelot (NBC), Buccaneers (CBS), Francis Drake (NBC) etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    My apologies I hadn't realised you were now moderating this thread

You should be apologizing for the snark when I accurately noted that a US remake of a UK show is not the same thing as a UK show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing so many examples of British programmes on US networks from back in the 60’s and 70’s makes you realise how much things have changed, and I wonder why that is. It must be due to the Americans as I don’t believe the quality of British programmes have diminished in anyway (I believe we make some of the best television in the world, just not as much of it as the US, but its an unfair comparison when you look at the potential talent pool). The American attitude (of the big networks at least) these days seems to be to remake popular British programmes rather than simply import them.

Having said that our attitude has probably changed too, ITV and BBC used to have a lot more US programmes in their primetime schedules than they do these days.
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've a feeling that itv and the BBC aren't allowed to show us series at primetime, 'allowed' probably isn't the right word but shows such as Kojak, six million dollar man and starsky and hutch wouldn't get put on a prime Friday/Saturday night schedule again.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    I've a feeling that itv and the BBC aren't allowed to show us series at primetime, 'allowed' probably isn't the right word but shows such as Kojak, six million dollar man and starsky and hutch wouldn't get put on a prime Friday/Saturday night schedule again.

That is nonsense Pushing Daises and The Americans both aired on ITV at about 9pm on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loracan wrote: »

The BBC has a limit on how much ‘foreign content’ they can broadcast on each channel per week, but if they wanted to put the a US drama in their primetime schedule there’s nothing to stop them.
    I don’t think ITV has any such restrictions whatsoever. They have aired the first 2 seasons of The Americans in their primetime Saturday night schedule (which gradually got later an later as each season went on).