Cameron's Tory Conference Speech

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Got to say I am normally a Labour guy, but Milliband is such a poor leader.

Have been pretty impressed with Cameron's speech today, never liked the guy before, but this is good.

Of course, it is all Bull, but a least it's well presented Bull.

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People on Twitter are narrowing in on the "resent" slip when he meant to say "represent" like lions on a wounded gazelle.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I found laughable was the advertised Conference Pride Dinner at £40 a head with special guest Christopher Biggins :D
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    What I found laughable was the advertised Conference Pride Dinner at £40 a head with special guest Christopher Biggins :D

So Far I,

So Good Eeee

:D
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got to say I am normally a Labour guy, but Milliband is such a poor leader.

Have been pretty impressed with Cameron's speech today, never liked the guy before, but this is good.

Of course, it is all Bull, but a least it's well presented Bull.

Raising the tax threshold to £12500 is not bull and neither is raising the 40% rate to £50000.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably one of the best he has ever given. With a GE in May and his back to the wall against UKIP he has risen to the occasion. Plenty of passion, with policy for all people across the economic spectrum.

Miliband's speech was so amateur compared to this.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Raising the tax threshold to £12500 is not bull and neither is raising the 40% rate to £50000.

Costing in total a cool £17.5bn according to the BBC news website.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on Twitter are narrowing in on the "resent" slip when he meant to say "represent" like lions on a wounded gazelle.

I missed that slip myself but if that's the biggest criticism people can find then it must have been a good speech.

Forgetting one letter is much better than forgetting a whole section of a speech.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pundits all seem in agreement it's his best in years.. some saying it's his best ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have seen tweets from people saying raising the top tax rate threshold is all for the rich and that there is nothing for the poor. I mean, come on. Raising the personal tax allowance is a very welcome break for the poor, even if I do hope it is swiftly followed by a raise in the NI threshold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen tweets from people saying raising the top tax rate threshold is all for the rich and that there is nothing for the poor. I mean, come on. Raising the personal tax allowance is a very welcome break for the poor, even if I do hope it is swiftly followed by a raise in the NI threshold.

My concerns are for my children and grandchildren who work hard and deserve to take home more of what they have worked hard to earn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I missed that slip myself but if that's the biggest criticism people can find then it must have been a good speech.

I didn't hear it myself, just following the #CPC14 hashtag. There are an awful lot of people that can see past the slip and who are duly impressed with his speech.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My concerns are for my children and grandchildren who work hard and deserve to take home more of what they have worked hard to earn.

Too right as well
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Costing who? The Government? It's not their money.

You could put it another way and say it is SAVING the tax payer £17.5bn.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People on 40-something thousands aren't the "rich", they are the middle ranking teachers and police officers.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That may well be so. I think what's more important is based on this speech.. the Tories GE 2015 campaign appears to be very effectively organised and very well framed. That will be the bigger take away point from that speech. Something that people felt EM did not have with his.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Im not a tory voter but it was a good speech well delivered 8/10

thats how you do it Ed, your sppech 4/10

the unions sorry Labour picked the wrong brother
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    People on 40-something thousands aren't the "rich", they are the middle ranking teachers and police officers.

Exactly.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member

Neither is it the top rate of tax threshold they're raising either...

Regards,

Cypher
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good speech, with plenty of gravitas. Judged the humourous moments well. Definitely made the right decision in delivering it from behind the lectern.

Whether the promises can be fulfilled is another matter. His 'pledge' on human rights is pretty much meaningless (though does show he's probably won the internal party debate on the issue).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, people who constantly get put forward as deserving of earning more. Well, they will soon be able to keep more of what they earn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A conference delegate on BBC2's "The Daily Politics"

"That speech is going to knock out UKIP"

Don't bet on it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Gove gaffs on Daily Politics.

Does not know how much policies mentioned by Cameron will cost!
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member

Spot on piece that. No one cares, just as no one watches the Daily Politics, PMQ's or This Week.

True bubble stuff.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Isn't the way the cost of it is described. The cut in benefits lost for those working will be repaid in raising threshold and tax levels. Give and take in basic terms