Options

New fridge, how long to leave standing?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I just got a new Bosch fridge today. I understand that a fridge must be allowed to stand for a while before turning it on after transportation. I overheard a "salesman" in Comet telling someone to leave a fridge standing for 12-24 hours (I bought from Co-op online). The fridge manual states it should be left standing for ½ hour, does this sound right? Maybe a misprint?

Nick

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    i suppose it could depend on the make of fridge , was it transported upright ??? , and , isnt there a helpline number with the instructions for you to double check with ??? :)
  • Options
    McPheeMcPhee Posts: 4,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick555 wrote:
    Hi

I just got a new Bosch fridge today. I understand that a fridge must be allowed to stand for a while before turning it on after transportation. I overheard a "salesman" in Comet telling someone to leave a fridge standing for 12-24 hours (I bought from Co-op online). The fridge manual states it should be left standing for ½ hour, does this sound right? Maybe a misprint?

Nick
    Hmm. You could ring up and ask - but I would have thought 24 hours was the correct time. That's all I have ever known.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My currant fridge/freezer is a bosch. I've always left mine for 24 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fridge was transported upright, I saw the delivery guys tip it on it's side to carry it in the house.
  • Options
    collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I think the 'leave it standing for 24hrs' is a leftover from the days when fridges were filled with ammonia(sp?)
    Nowdays they use freon, which is a lot less volatile and settles down straight away(ish).
    Half an hour should be fine.
    My last two fridge freezers were powered up almost as they came through the door.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood the 24 hours thing. It's so much longer than is actually necessary, that you may as well leave it for a week. It's true that if a fridge had been moved around, the gas will be dispersed throughout the cooling system and will take longer to be chilled to the required temperature setting - and therefore chill your fridge - than if it was all settled at the bottom, however it should settle within 2 hours tops. Even if the fridge was transported on it's back in the van (which it wasn't), it will be OK within 2 hours.
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    well :D

I had a new one on Friday and I was told that 4-6 hours max would be fine ;)

just to allow the coolant gases to "drop" back to the compressor thingy ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys

From the manual:
    Connecting the appliance
    After installing the appliance, wait at least ½ hour until the appliance starts up. During transportation the oil in the compressor may have flowed into the refrigeration system.

Not a great translation, the French version also states ½ hour, I can't read the German though.
  • Options
    comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I think the 'leave it standing for 24hrs' is a leftover from the days when fridges were filled with ammonia(sp?)
    Nowdays they use freon, which is a lot less volatile and settles down straight away(ish).
    I think they went the other way around.

Freon is a halo-alkane the type of thing that is claimed to be buggering up the ozone layer and the reason why we have a huge fridge mountain of unwanted old (and most of them still in perfect working order but just don't look the part in a new kitchen - I BLAME CHANGING ROOMS) fridges that need the gas removing for safe disposal.

Ammonia is a naturaly occuring gas and is produced in nature from the breakdown of things by bateria. It's the smell of nappies caused by bacteria breaking down the urea in urine and converting it to ammonia gas.
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a new one on Friday and I was told that 4-6 hours max would be fine

My mum's just got a new fridge and hers said 4 hours too. I suppose you want to get your stuff in it anyway, I don't think it's necessary to wait 24 hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got a new Bosch fridge/freezer a couple of months back. The delivery guy plugged it in straight away just to check everything was working, it's never been turned of since and we've had no problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got a reply from Bosch customer care - 6 hours. So, 5pm - in goes the beer!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to follow the instructions contained therin
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    John Lewis told me 9 hours. I bought a Miele fridge/freezer and waited 9 hours only to read later that half hour would have done. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I was informed by the delivery men that my new Bosch standup fridge-freezer which came this morning needed to stand for at least 2 - 6 hours. I said I thought it was a lot more and he said "Nah, the 2 to 6 hours limit is absolutely fine".
    It was delivered by John Lewis if that makes any one feel safer about the information. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was informed by the delivery men that my new standup fridge-freezer needed to to stand for at least 2 - 6 hours. Sounds fine to me.

You're a bit late. I'm sure after 9 years the OP will have sorted this out:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    You're a bit late. I'm sure after 9 years the OP will have sorted this out:confused:

I'm posting for Bosch buyers who may be looking for info today and not necessarily back in 2005.
    Have a better one. ^_^
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Sadly, even if he had forgotten to switch his fridge on, rebooting this thread won't have reminded him. The OP hasn't been active here since 2006...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for this. After nearly a decade of shopping daily since my old appliance broke, I can finally buy a new one again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Sadly, even if he had forgotten to switch his fridge on, rebooting this thread won't have reminded him. The OP hasn't been active here since 2006...

Ho, ho smart-arse :cool: but seeing as this is still the first link that comes up in a Google search regarding the age-old question of when to turn on a newly delivered Bosch fridge-freezer, then it's obviously still relevant for someone, somewhere wanting to know the answer.
    Just because it's not info for you doesn't mean it won't help someone else out in the future, after all that is the very essence of the internet.
    Happy troll Monday.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    We deliver fridges and freezers at work.

It tells you the required time in the instructions, usually about 3 hours - however, it's ONLY if it's been transported on it's side, if it's been transported stood up then there's no waiting time required.

Because of this we try to deliver then stood up when possible, but obviously you can't do this with larger ones.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for this. After nearly a decade of shopping daily since my old appliance broke, I can finally buy a new one again.

Genuine lol moment :D
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The op may have a new fridge now....
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ho, ho smart-arse :cool: but seeing as this is still the first link that comes up in a Google search regarding the age-old question of when to turn on a newly delivered Bosch fridge-freezer, then it's obviously still relevant for someone, somewhere wanting to know the answer.
    Just because it's not info for you doesn't mean it won't help someone else out in the future, after all that is the very essence of the internet.
    Happy troll Monday.

You honestly think that someone with this question is going to notice this thread?

Nooo. They are going to start a new thread to ask.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You honestly think that someone with this question is going to notice this thread?

Nooo. They are going to start a new thread to ask.

I would have just googled the question first. It make more sense.