What are you reading at the moment? (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Witchfinder - Gallows at Twilight by William Hussey

Book 2 of 3.
  • ajr493ajr493 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my fave books ever. I'm almost the polar opposite to you though, I avoided Pratchett for years, because Wizards and alternative universes, just reminded me of Dungeon & Dragons sadness in school.

Yet, I read this because it was set on Earth (well mainly), and I was brought up alternately on schlocky horror Films, and before that Just William books. So it was a perfect pastiche of these things for me. An ineffable book.

Since then I've read all the Discworld novels, and love them "Guards Guards" the best IMHO.

So doubly thankful for the book.

I too love both. There are some corking line about the M25 and Milton Keynes as well as tips on hiow to grown plants in Good Omens!
  • GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shatter The Bones by Stuart MacBride.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Just started "Under The Dome" by Stephen King.

Me too - haven't read any SK for a long while. If it is as good as his best then I'm looking forward to it.
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GinaGold wrote: »
    Shatter The Bones by Stuart MacBride.

Is it any good?,I am waiting for the paperback:(
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently reading Deathbringer by Derek Landy,its a kids book,but I really like the series:o
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Just finished the Booker-tipped The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes.

Some very good insight into the nature of memories and their attendant feelings (either lost or maybe still aflame), and of course it's all finely written, especially to begin with. Sadly the narrative, and a fair bit of the characterisation, never quite seems plausible enough to do the themes justice. The final revelation is almost soap opera. Oh dear. Lovely sleeve, mind.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Just finished the Booker-tipped The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes.

Some very good insight into the nature of memories and their attendant feelings (either lost or maybe still aflame), and of course it's all finely written, especially to begin with. Sadly the narrative, and a fair bit of the characterisation, never quite seems plausible enough to do the themes justice. The final revelation is almost soap opera. Oh dear. Lovely sleeve, mind.

It's the Bookies favourite for the Booker this year I think. Never read any of his stuff, always looks a bit twee for me.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Twee? Nah. Foppish, maybe ;) and very middle class.

If he wins the Booker it'll be a bit of a carriage clock job. Thanks for all the years...
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member

If he wins the Booker it'll be a bit of carriage clock job. Thanks for all the years...

Didn't we have that last year with Jacobson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I'm currently reading 'The Treatment' by Mo Hayder. I can't put it down!
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promises To Keep - George Bernau
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If he wins the Booker it'll be a bit of a carriage clock job. Thanks for all the years...
    You could be right, but I loved it.

Just started another from the shortlist - Snowdrops, by A D Miller, which is rather different than The Sense of an Ending. Have another one on order - The Sisters Brothers, by Patrick deWitt. Might end up having my own award ceremony.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Favourite Wife by Tony Parsons.
  • ajr493ajr493 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caitlin Moran - How to be a Woman

Not quite what I was expecting - more feminist call to arms than confession of a less-than yummy-mummy. However, really enjoying it so far, especially since we are clearly of a similar maturity - I see so much of myself in her reminisences (sp?) of her childhood.

I had to hide my face on the train to stop other commuters seeing me snort with laughter at her description of when she and her sister were trying to think of cool names for "down below" - Rolfs after Rolf Harris nearly made me wet myself!
  • ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    I've just started Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey. So far it's OK but it's not really grabbed me like the Thursday Next series or the Nursery Crimes books. However, patience is indeed a virtue, so I'm hoping that wtih a bit of perseverance I'll get hooked!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ImaPlum wrote: »
    I've just started Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey. So far it's OK but it's not really grabbed me like the Thursday Next series or the Nursery Crimes books. However, patience is indeed a virtue, so I'm hoping that wtih a bit of perseverance I'll get hooked!

It's certainly worth sticking with. I thought Shades of Grey felt very much like an introduction to the whole series (book 2's scheduled to be published in 2013) but it's still not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination :)
  • cookie_princesscookie_princess Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grace Williams Says It Loud, by Emma Henderson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start reading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Watched the anime made by Studio Ghibi, but haven't read the book.
  • ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    podgicus wrote: »
    It's certainly worth sticking with. I thought Shades of Grey felt very much like an introduction to the whole series (book 2's scheduled to be published in 2013) but it's still not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination :)

Even from the amount I've read, I can well believe that you are right in saying that it's very much an introduction as the whole concept does seem to require a fair bit of explanation to set the scene. I'll stick with it, his writing style is a joy to read anyway in my opinion so it's no great hardship, just hope the story grabs me soon! Meanwhile the cover on the version I have keeps me happy, I do like brightly coloured things :o:D
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually reading two at the same time:

'The Duchess' by Amanda Foreman which tells the (rather racey) story of the Duchess of Devonshire, an ancestor of Diana, and 'Just After Sunset' short stories by Stephen King which I've read before but, as with all Stephen King's stuff I can read over and over again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished reading The Spider Truces by Tom Connolly. Cannot recommend it highly enough; poetic, moving and evocative. Big tick from me. :)
  • ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently reading Rivals by Jilly Cooper. I know it's a little trashy but good escape reading.
    Started off with the new one Jump then decided to go back to the beginning. First Riders now Rivals then the rest .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops! I'm the Paparazzi (Romance, Humour, Mischief) by De-ann Black. I like it so far.

I really enjoyed The Bitch-Proof Suit, so I looked for more by this author.
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Six Seconds - Rick Mofina

Picked it up when a freebie on Kindle - not bad for nothing :cool:
This discussion has been closed.