Video Editing - New PC Required!!

13»

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Fair play. Can't say I'm familiar with those posters.

I must say I don't bother reading the posts on the mobile forum very often as they just seem to be constant apple v android fan wars on there. I happen to have an iPad 4 and a Nexus 4 a laptop. ( or PC laptop running windows ! ) so I'm in all camps

To try and get back slightly on topic, I would go with an iMac if I were in need a 'dedicated' video editor as I've got FCPx and that would work for me. Otherwise I'd guess the PC option would be the best bang per buck option.

One thing to bear in mind if you do buy a Mac is the excellent re-sale value. This can make a big difference if you know you're likely to refresh your system every 2-3 years. There is a new refresh of the processors to haswel rumoured for June so buying a mac now would be bad timing

Resale value is one reason I'm considering Mac as it reduces the 'risk' of trying one. That said, seems to me, reselling is much easier in theory than in practice. Whilst my current laptop from 2008 still runs great, it's harder for me to justify spending money just to get something thinner so I'm trying to rely on my iPad for portability needs.

But with modern usage of PCs and modern power, we are in an age where PCs can easily be lasting 5 years (save for components like fans wearing out). It's part of the reason the PC market is dying.

The main benefit of Haswell is reduced power consumption which is great for things like a Surface which don't have the best battery life at the moment. In general, 5~6 hours of solid use is plenty for someone like me.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I applied those upgrades to a 2012 imac 27" (one with DVD drive)

I watched the tutorial on youtube search owc imac upgrade it really was easy to do
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Yes I applied those upgrades to a 2012 imac 27" (one with DVD drive)

I watched the tutorial on youtube search owc imac upgrade it really was easy to do

No, the new iMac (which is the 2012 one) does not come with a DVD drive at all.

You must mean the 2011 iMac (which was obviously available for sale in 2012 until the new, 2012 one was released).

The upgrades cannot be applied to the new model.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it in 2012 from apple, it is not the latest generation no, you are correct