Manchester Local DAB retune.

13»

Comments

• paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Pringle wrote: »
    It's moved to 12C hasn't it, in place of 11C? That makes it co-channel with the whole Stoke network,
    Stoke is on 12D.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    I wonder if all sites have gone live as it really seems strange that more power is making the coverage worse in the fringe areas.

Ok they may tweak things but radio waves have strange ways of travel and giving them a bit more power you would expect them to bounce along happily.

You're probably getting ACI from the Stoke mux, which is on 12D. There may also be some interference from Nottingham, which is on 12C.

Glossop is probably getting ACI from BBC national, which transmits from the Glossop & Birch Vale sites. This will only be sorted when the Manchester mux is added to those sites.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Bit stronger in South Wirral. Less drop out areas than before, good in places like Ellesmere Port. The signal only feels marginally improved which is about right.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,894
    Forum Member
    Cheers, Bill.
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    You're probably getting ACI from the Stoke mux, which is on 12D. There may also be some interference from Nottingham, which is on 12C.

Glossop is probably getting ACI from BBC national, which transmits from the Glossop & Birch Vale sites. This will only be sorted when the Manchester mux is added to those sites.

I get the feeling we could be a long time! I've not seen them propose a Glossop transmitter on any of the coverage plans.

We do seem to be a bit of an afterthought in these parts, originally we were going to be covered by the Derbyshire Mux with a planned Glossop transmitter, however they rightly realised that we wouldn't best be served by stations broadcasting from Derby & Nottingham.

The boundaries were then changed for us to be part of the Manchester CE Digital Mux, however apart from including us in the map no changes appear to have been made to actually get the transmissions out to us.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the issues in parts of n.staffs and s.cheshire with this service now are related to Mow Cop having Stoke now broadcasting from it.

I've done some driving around these past days and seems very much where your in sight of Mow Cop you can say goodbye to the Manchester multiplex and even D1 and SDL are dropping out in more places now. However when your out of direct sight of Mow Cop it all seems to work quite happily. Suspect it's something to do with the signal coming from Mow Cop.

The Stoke DAB is excellent now though , so it's certainly worked on improving that. If D1 ever does come from Mow Cop (well over due now) then I wonder what the knock on effect on other signals will be?
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,894
    Forum Member
    My tuner signal, post "boost", has gone down even further. So, 9 bars of signal last week, now only 2! The radio that could just receive it in my front room no longer can, so I big disappointment for me.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was traveling back from Manchester through to Congleton earlier and the signal is very robust until you get to the traffic lights near to the Shell garage .

But it did not drop out once , bit patchy towards Biddulph , but they have tightened up the coverage area . And it covers the area it's supposed to do very well . On the M62 it goes way past junction 23 now . I.

It's a shame the Trial Manchester mutiplex can't have a power increase . Regarding the Stoke one it gets out a long way , but what a waste with only 3 stations on it , even Bauer don't have anything on it now which is strange ?
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »

It's a shame the Trial Manchester mutiplex can't have a power increase . Regarding the Stoke one it gets out a long way , but what a waste with only 3 stations on it , even Bauer don't have anything on it now which is strange ?

The trial Manchester multiplex is an experiment to see if that is what people want. It covers most of Manchester and its surrounding towns, probably a million people. If the stations concerned do not advertise their presence they will fail, increasing the transmitter power will have little effect bearing in mind the audience size already available to them. So far they have not bothered to do that.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out if interest does anyone know what it's costing the stations to be on these trial multiplexes?

Can't be that much. Is that because the power is so low to keep costs down?