Gary Barlow has one of the BIGGEST egos in Britain

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I remember after Robbie Williams left Take That, and was in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons before his solo career took off. Gary Barlow was asked what he thought and said in the most patronising way possible: "Poor Rob, he's just trying to stay famous".
    Though I was never a fan of TT, I was very pleased to see Robbie doing so well on his own, while the group split up. I could never understand why people thought he needed to rejoin when they reformed; he didn't need them then and he doesn't need them now.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    yeah, and Take That aren't known worldwide!

So really ... IF you 'ratio'd' it ... Take That actually have impressively more sales than Britney.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    I remember after Robbie Williams left Take That, and was in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons before his solo career took off. Gary Barlow was asked what he thought and said in the most patronising way possible: "Poor Rob, he's just trying to stay famous".
    Though I was never a fan of TT, I was very pleased to see Robbie doing so well on his own, while the group split up. I could never understand why people thought he needed to rejoin when they reformed; he didn't need them then and he doesn't need them now.

It's a publicity stunt I think; once album sales decline again, there'll be another "dramatic exit".
    Forum Member
    he didn't need them then and he doesn't need them now.

Totally agree. And they don't need him.
    Forum Member
    So really ... IF you 'ratio'd' it ... Take That actually have impressively more sales than Britney.

Not at all; Britney Spears can sell albums at her home and in foreign countries, whereas Take That are a solely domestic group (+ Ireland).
  • HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went off him when he came out of the Tory closet.
    Forum Member
    Helicase wrote: »

That was a contributing factor to me (I'd always suspected he was a Tory ... I just hoped he wouldn't be stupid enough to let it out of the bag ... for the sake of the group).

For me it was all the 'charidee' work ... sorry ... but it all seemed so obviously 'self-serving'.
    Forum Member
    Not at all; Britney Spears can sell albums at her home and in foreign countries, whereas Take That are a solely domestic group (+ Ireland).

Yes ... at all! Take out sales in the USA ... and I think you'll find that Take That's The Circus has sold a hell of a lot more than Brits!
    Forum Member
    Yes ... at all! Take out sales in the USA ... and I think you'll find that Take That's The Circus has sold a hell of a lot more than Brits!

But that's manipulating the figures to satisfy your point. The cold hard facts are that Britney sold 3.5 million whilst Take That sold 2 million.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too, athough i'd suspected long before that how full of his
    own importance he is, and i say this as a huge Take That
    fan, though Robbie is, was and always will be my favourite.
    Forum Member
    But that's manipulating the figures to satisfy your point. The cold hard facts are that Britney sold 3.5 million whilst Take That sold 2 million.

2.5 million! Let's assume the USA isn't there. Take That are significantly bigger than Brit!

But this is off the point. Your original post was about Barlow's ego ... and although I think you could have used a more up-to-date illustration of this ... I agree with you.

Edit ... in his defence ... Barlow didn't just suddenly 'come out of the closet' as a Tory. If you'd just even read his book ... you'd know he was a Tory through and through.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Gary Barlow is a very, very talented musician. As a pianist myself, he taught himself and believe me it's not easy to do with an excellent teacher - let alone by yourself. Combine that with a superb talent for songwriting, Gary derserves everything he gets.

I love him and don't see any arrogance from him at all.
    Forum Member
    2.5 million! Let's assume the USA isn't there. Take That are significantly bigger than Brit!

But this is off the point. Your original post was about Barlow's ego ... and although I think you could have used a more up-to-date illustration of this ... I agree with you.

Edit ... in his defence ... Barlow didn't just suddenly 'come out of the closet' as a Tory. If you'd just even read his book ... you'd know he was a Tory through and through.

"Let's assume the USA isn't there" - again, you're fiddling with the facts to suit your argument. The cold hard facts are that Britney sold 3.5 million whilst Take That sold 2 million.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems alright to me, not the most interesting person on earth but not unpleasant. He's writtn some lovely songs.

I am always a bit disappointed when anyone endorses a political party if they aren't in politics themselves, I was disappointed when David Tennant did it for Labour too.
    Forum Member
    "Let's assume the USA isn't there" - again, you're fiddling with the facts to suit your argument. The cold hard facts are that Britney sold 3.5 million whilst Take That sold 2 million.

2.5 million. Ratio wise ... Take That's sales are significantly higher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's well known that he's got an ego the size of Britain. He can just hide it more than say Robbie Williams...

I'm so glad TT never broke America, he'll always rue that.
    Forum Member
    s0436 wrote: »
    It's well known that he's got an ego the size of Britain. He can just hide it more than say Robbie Williams...

I'm so glad TT never broke America, he'll always rue that.

I don't think TT or GB or Robbie for that matter give a monkey's arse whether they break America. America isn't the 'holy grail' as far as music is concerned. Besides ... it means they can get a whole lot more financial benefits with a lot less 'touring their arses off' in the good old US of A!

Lets face it ... it wasn't the USA that gave us the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, or The Who, or The Kinks ... or a number of other influencial groups. I hasten to add ... I'm not saying that Take That are influential ... merely stating that the USA isn't the be-all-and-end-all as far as music is concerned.

Besides ... let's face it ... Britney Spears is SHITE! Barlow merely had the balls to say it when everyone else in the musical world was fawning over her every mime!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, dear! It's sad that someone can be so closed-minded they will let their political leanings cloud their judgement on everything - even music!!!

I like a lot of artists and actors who's political views I don't always agree with...why should their opinions, which they're perfectly entitled to, stop me from liking their art?

That said, I do think Gary AND Robbie are coming across as extremely arrogrant with their "bromance" routine - which is also about as fake as you can get. I'm sick of them already. I wish Robbie had never re-joined Take That. They were doing so well with Beautiful World and The Circus and I was keen to see where they'd go next, but now I couldn't give a bugger. Take That have let money and publicity get in the way of a good thing. :(
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »

That said, I do think Gary AND Robbie are coming across as extremely arrogrant with their "bromance" routine - which is also about as fake as you can get. I'm sick of them already. I wish Robbie had never re-joined Take That. They were doing so well with Beautiful World and The Circus and I was keen to see where they'd go next, but now I couldn't give a bugger. Take That have let money and publicity get in the way of a good thing. :(

100% agreement from me.
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Oh, dear! It's sad that someone can be so closed-minded they will let their political leanings cloud their judgement on everything - even music!!!

I like a lot of artists and actors who's political views I don't always agree with...why should their opinions, which they're perfectly entitled to, stop me from liking their art?

Someone is perfectly entitled to dislike somebody because of their politics. Note how that poster said "I went off him when he came out of the Tory closet", not "his music".
    Forum Member
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    Someone is perfectly entitled to dislike somebody because of their politics. Note how that poster said "I went off him when he came out of the Tory closet", not "his music".

Agree totally. I went off him ... but I've not gone off Take That. Having said that ... as I say ... I always knew (from reading between the lines) that he was a Tory ... let's face it ... he's from Cheshire!!!!! I just thought he'd have more sense than to brag about being a Tory. And to go campaigning with Dave!
    Forum Member

Again ... I agree with you. I went off him (although I was already on the turn) but not Take That. Having said that ... some of the best songs on The Circus I'm sure have more of Mark Owen't signature on them ... NOT Gary Barlow's. You can tell them ... they're the more upbeat ones ... Up All Night and Hold Up A Light. Gary's input (apart from Said It All) is the usual ballad pap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess. As long as it doesn't effect someone from liking music/films/whatever then I can understand it.

I mean, I still enjoy Roman Polanski's version of Oliver even though the man repulses me.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the poster who said that you need a big ego to survive in the music industry. I bet Britney isn't a shy little wallflower either! There are more stars out there who's egos are out of control than Gary - Axle Roses for example. Their Reading and Leeds appearance were a farce, and then we found out the reason he was so late for both of them...

Creatively, I have more respect for TT than Britney. At least they write their own music and sing live.