Options

Unable to connect wirelessly?!?!?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
Forum Member
Hi Guyz n Girls,

My parents have Sky Broadband in their home, and they connect to the internet wired as their PC is next to the router.

I have come with my laptop, while over the christmas period. I usually bring another router with me to connect to the existing router as the wireless on the sky router is shockingly crap!!

I type in the network key of the router, and it does not connect at all, it doesn't even try to connect as they wireless light doesn't flash on the router. The wireless is turned on on the router. It just says on my laptop 'Windows was unable to connect to the network'. I have tried leaving it off for a while then trying it. The password is in lower case so its not that or vice versa.

It's the Sagem router that Sky uses (the greyish colour one).

Any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    russbelluk wrote: »
    Hi Guyz n Girls,

My parents have Sky Broadband in their home, and they connect to the internet wired as their PC is next to the router.

I have come with my laptop, while over the christmas period. I usually bring another router with me to connect to the existing router as the wireless on the sky router is shockingly crap!!

I type in the network key of the router, and it does not connect at all, it doesn't even try to connect as they wireless light doesn't flash on the router. The wireless is turned on on the router. It just says on my laptop 'Windows was unable to connect to the network'. I have tried leaving it off for a while then trying it. The password is in lower case so its not that or vice versa.

Any ideas??

Check Access Control isn't set on in the Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Setup Access List menu.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    It is highly unlikely that: "the wireless on the sky router is shockingly crap!!" because if it was Sky would have hundreds of thousands of complaints about it - and they don't.

From you description of the problem, it is far more likle to be one of two things: 1) the WiFi adapter drivers in your laptop need updating. 2) You have a WiFi channel conflict with neighbours' network(s).

The fix for 1) is to download and install ne w drivers.

The fix for 2) is to read one of the many threads about using inSSIDer to fix it. (The question gets asked daily.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Hi Guyz n Girls,

Any ideas??

All network keys should be typed in upper case - and it's all letters, no numbers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Hi Guyz n Girls,

Any ideas??

If the router isnt an actual sky provided router then this will be the problem. They dont support none sky routers.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i recently went from the Sagem to th D-Link and i have to say the wireless range on the D-Link is miles better and much more stable (at range) than the Sagem (both routers sat in the same position). That said the Sagem could hang on like the proverbial dried excrement to a blanket when the noise margin drops on a night where as the D-Link gives up the ghost much easier.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    i recently went from the Sagem to the D-Link and i have to say the wireless range on the D-Link is miles better and much more stable (at range) than the Sagem (both routers sat in the same position). That said the Sagem could hang on like the proverbial dried excrement to a blanket when the noise margin drops on a night where as the D-Link gives up the ghost much easier.

I agree. I too have moved from a Sagem to D-link recently and have made the same observations.