Trying to keep old number

Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
Forum Member
✭✭
I didn't know whether to post this in the advice section or here, so put it in here anyway. I was hoping someone may be able to help with a problem my friend has been having.

My friend moved from Blackberry (Pay as you go) to Iphone 5c (now on contract) on Friday. She asked if she was able to keep her number while moving over, so they set that up for her. She was told after 24 hours it would take effect. However, since then it hasn't fully changed over. When she sends a text/Imessage it comes through from her original number, yet when she makes a call it comes through as what would have been her new number. Does anybody know why this is happening or how it can be fixed? She went back to o2 to get it fixed but they weren't much help.

Thanks

Comments

• qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did the switchover happen?

If it's been more than 48 hours it sounds like a configuration problem with the Apple iServices. iMessage likes to intercept and override the standard GSM based text messaging functions and override them, and sometimes it doesn't update its' details correctly.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    When did the switchover happen?

If it's been more than 48 hours it sounds like a configuration problem with the Apple iServices. iMessage likes to intercept and override the standard GSM based text messaging functions and override them, and sometimes it doesn't update its' details correctly.

Thanks for the reply. Well she was told before she left the store that her phone was set up to use and that she needed to wait 24 hours and she should be able to use her number she had on Blackberry. But now she seems to have her old number for calling and the new number for texting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but WHEN was that?

You also said the opposite in your original post - old number for texting and new number for calling. Which way round is it exactly?
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Yes but WHEN was that?

You also said the opposite in your original post - old number for texting and new number for calling. Which way round is it exactly?

On Friday past when she got her phone. Apologies got it the wrong way around the first time. Calls come through as her OLD number whilst texts/Imessage go through from the NEW number.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sounds like iMessage hooked on to the temporary number it first saw when she got the new phone and now needs to be updated to reflect the old number that was transferred over.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puzzled why she had to have a new number moving from Blackberry to Apple.

I have never used either system but I have changed phones several times over the years and using unblocked phones change the SIM on every trip.
  • rightonpardrightonpard Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Settings ->
    Messages ->
    iMessage (Toggle switch off and then on)

This should sort it out.