Gaming Websites

MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
Forum Member
Does anyone know of any gaming websites, that when you go to look at news articles, they are NOT completely surrounded by ads? I appreciate that websites need money for servers etc, and don't usually mind viewing them on individual sites, but I just tried to find a news article there to share, and the slowness of each page loading, no matter which website it was, was tedious as hell.

I know that there are ways and means of blocking ads, but I do appreciate there is revenue there to be made for the people behind the sites, but good god there has to be a happy medium where you don't feel like you are trudging through mud to get to the article that was originally searched for! >:(

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I write for Britxbox, which has no ads.

It's an enthusiast site, not a professional site, but we still try and post up to date news and reviews where possible. We've also been getting a lot of review codes the last few months.

I won't link, though, as that would be even more spammy than simply naming it.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »

It's an enthusiast site, not a professional site, but we still try and post up to date news and reviews where possible. We've also been getting a lot of review codes the last few months.

Thanks. Will try it out. There isn't a lot to be said for "professional" sites. I'd say a few back handers pass when they ask people to pay to review their game. They don't get paid until after the review has been agreed but the gaming company must ok. So yeah, that's unbiased right there!

I prefer Joe Bloggs giving opinions. It's why I've been on this forum for so long. I may not agree, but I get an idea from other people and can form my own opnion. Will google now.:)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think anyone would object to someone with your DS history posting a link. In fact, I think many of us would support the site. It's the one-post chancers registering just to promote themselves that pisses people off.

I agree with what the above poster said about prefering the opinion of regular gamers rather than "journalists". Professional reviews often seem have an angle now, some form of agenda. I barely visit any professional sites now. I use Twitter for my gaming news fix and forums such as this for opinion.
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone would object to someone with your DS history posting a link. In fact, I think many of us would support the site. It's the one-post chancers registering just to promote themselves that pisses people off.

Agreed. :)

It looks good to be honest. It looks very busy, but it's not taking 10 mins to load a page because of everything that it is on apart from the few lines of words I am usually looking for! (really miss the rolling eye smiley!!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minnimo wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any gaming websites, that when you go to look at news articles, they are NOT completely surrounded by ads? I appreciate that websites need money for servers etc, and don't usually mind viewing them on individual sites, but I just tried to find a news article there to share, and the slowness of each page loading, no matter which website it was, was tedious as hell.

I know that there are ways and means of blocking ads, but I do appreciate there is revenue there to be made for the people behind the sites, but good god there has to be a happy medium where you don't feel like you are trudging through mud to get to the article that was originally searched for! >:(

Use Adblock, if the content was interesting to you turn the adblock off on the page/video and them the content creator will make money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minnimo & fastest finger -

I've been a member of the forums there since it launched in late 2002 (XBL Beta & Test Drive days), and joined the "staff" (geographically scattered British Xbox fans volunteering their time to write about stuff they like) a year ago.

It has had busier times, but is still very active both for the (friendly!) forums and the front page content. The front page was re-launched a while back, and it's been getting more active ever since.

Always happy to have new forum members and news/review readers ;)
    Forum Member
    Can't multi quote in phone so Thomas I didn't know that so thank you. And Matt I will sign up tomorrow. Need a place to keep up to date with things! This forum not so active lately. Well like it used to be I should clarify.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't multi quote in phone so Thomas I didn't know that so thank you. And Matt I will sign up tomorrow. Need a place to keep up to date with things! This forum not so active lately. Well like it used to be I should clarify.

This forum hasnt been so active since the good old days

now wheres my werthers originals and cardigan,whilst i tell these fine young whippersnappers about the good ole days:D
    Forum Member
    This forum hasnt been so active since the good old days

now wheres my werthers originals and cardigan,whilst i tell these fine young whippersnappers about the good ole days:D

LMAO.

Meh whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO.

Meh whatever.

in all seriousness,i find myself checking this sites forum less and less each month,there doesnt seem to be the same draw as there once was
    Forum Member
    in all seriousness,i find myself checking this sites forum less and less each month,there doesnt seem to be the same draw as there once was

No there definitely isn't. Might be because other sites have woo'ed people away with better more accurate information. DS isn't the best for being fast as well as accurate.

Or people just aren't playing games and posting as much as they used too. Things happen. Life changes. I don't play nearly as often, and I doubt I'm alone in that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No there definitely isn't. Might be because other sites have woo'ed people away with better more accurate information. DS isn't the best for being fast as well as accurate.

Or people just aren't playing games and posting as much as they used too. Things happen. Life changes. I don't play nearly as often, and I doubt I'm alone in that.

very true indeed,life most certainly changed this end,haha

i think this site is a Jack of all trades situation,as you say people go elsewhere for their gaming news needs
    Forum Member
    very true indeed,life most certainly changed this end,haha

i think this site is a Jack of all trades situation,as you say people go elsewhere for their gaming news needs
    Yes it did indeed mister :)
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Lots of the big games tend to have their own forums (or large unofficial forums) these days, so I expect a lot of people go straight to those sites if they want to discuss specifics. Games like Forza, Destiny and WOT have their own very comprehensive websites and forums... Course neutrality is somewhat lacking.

Plus it all seems to be Vlogs and You Tube style reviews on on a lot of game sites - now I feel old - written review seem to be on the wane. Why read those stupid "words" when you can have some semi-articulate berk mumble their way through how cool a game is (as sponsored by the games publishers).

Generalist sites like DS are only ever as good as the time the hosts plow into them and sadly DS seems far more interested in what D listers are wearing than their gaming and tech reviews these days. Though i suppose they are catering to their demographic.

Personally I like GameFAQs, but I'm decidedly old school.
    Forum Member
    Minnimo & fastest finger -

I've been a member of the forums there since it launched in late 2002 (XBL Beta & Test Drive days), and joined the "staff" (geographically scattered British Xbox fans volunteering their time to write about stuff they like) a year ago.

It has had busier times, but is still very active both for the (friendly!) forums and the front page content. The front page was re-launched a while back, and it's been getting more active ever since.

Always happy to have new forum members and news/review readers ;)

I joined today, nearly didn't as my email wasn't syncing on my phone to get the activation email! Wish forums didn't have to do that but anyhoo!

I joined it to read about gaming stuff and what thread did I get into reading? "Home Buying" !!! lmao. It's like a soap opera lol. But in a good way. Everyone very friendly, just the ups and downs of actually buying a place!
    Lots of the big games tend to have their own forums (or large unofficial forums) these days, so I expect a lot of people go straight to those sites if they want to discuss specifics. Games like Forza, Destiny and WOT have their own very comprehensive websites and forums... Course neutrality is somewhat lacking.

Plus it all seems to be Vlogs and You Tube style reviews on on a lot of game sites - now I feel old - written review seem to be on the wane. Why read those stupid "words" when you can have some semi-articulate berk mumble their way through how cool a game is (as sponsored by the games publishers).

Generalist sites like DS are only ever as good as the time the hosts plow into them and sadly DS seems far more interested in what D listers are wearing than their gaming and tech reviews these days. Though i suppose they are catering to their demographic.

Personally I like GameFAQs, but I'm decidedly old school.

God I haven't been to GameFAQS in years. Something put me off it, but I can't remember what it is now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i tend to go to places like IGN and Eurogamer,but i also go to sites like Polygon,Kotaku,and Joystiq(although AOL are shutting this down sadly)
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kotaku is perhaps the place you go to look at what death will be like. It was never great, but at one point it was alright, then it went to utter shite. Its just clickbait and the odd story from Ash about how his Japanese wife is amazing and better than your dumb white one. Then he goes on and on about how unique the culture is by avoiding talking about its actual history, and instead presents his evidence for its culture with pictures of used knicker vendor machines and strange sex shops.

But Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Polygon, even ****ing RPS, they have all been found out at times to be directly receiving money for higher review scores. Not to mention, if you want advertising money, no company is going to pay you money to advertise their latest game if your reviews are pointing out how shite the game is (ahem, BF4 and its hideous launch, never picked up till after the fact was it, no reviews mentioned its problems at all until it was already known and most people already bought it).

Your other option is to go to the wild west that is the user review system. Metacritic has this feature, but most games are given 0/10 or a 10/10, with the review itself often following a similar pattern you can find on the new Steam user reviews section (other sites have the same issue as well). It goes like this...

0/10 this gam is shit and any1 ho plays it is a noob. All brok4n and no quickscopes

10/10 Most people are too stupid to understand the deep and complex meaning of this game, and to overlook its slight imperfections because its not all quickscopes and CoD fanboisms. This game also delves into social issues that many games over look, and the people who do not like it are often racist child eaters. You are stupid and a child if you do not like this game.

And so on and so on. Its more of a soap box for the **** wit. Rarely is the game reviewed, but the people tend to review other people who happen to play the game. Essentially though, the game itself is rarely spoken about.

So thats your choices I am afraid. Either you accept that you are a customer for an advertising agency, or step into pointless madness that is the user review world.

Oh and of course, you could watch some arsehole chatter over game footage on youtube, but they always try to be funny and beg for people to subscribe to them. So the aim is for you to like them and give them views, not inform you about the product they are pretending to review.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Kotaku is perhaps the place you go to look at what death will be like. It was never great, but at one point it was alright, then it went to utter shite. Its just clickbait and the odd story from Ash about how his Japanese wife is amazing and better than your dumb white one. Then he goes on and on about how unique the culture is by avoiding talking about its actual history, and instead presents his evidence for its culture with pictures of used knicker vendor machines and strange sex shops.

But Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Polygon, even ****ing RPS, they have all been found out at times to be directly receiving money for higher review scores. Not to mention, if you want advertising money, no company is going to pay you money to advertise their latest game if your reviews are pointing out how shite the game is (ahem, BF4 and its hideous launch, never picked up till after the fact was it, no reviews mentioned its problems at all until it was already known and most people already bought it).

Your other option is to go to the wild west that is the user review system. Metacritic has this feature, but most games are given 0/10 or a 10/10, with the review itself often following a similar pattern you can find on the new Steam user reviews section (other sites have the same issue as well). It goes like this...

0/10 this gam is shit and any1 ho plays it is a noob. All brok4n and no quickscopes

10/10 Most people are too stupid to understand the deep and complex meaning of this game, and to overlook its slight imperfections because its not all quickscopes and CoD fanboisms. This game also delves into social issues that many games over look, and the people who do not like it are often racist child eaters. You are stupid and a child if you do not like this game.

And so on and so on. Its more of a soap box for the **** wit. Rarely is the game reviewed, but the people tend to review other people who happen to play the game. Essentially though, the game itself is rarely spoken about.

So thats your choices I am afraid. Either you accept that you are a customer for an advertising agency, or step into pointless madness that is the user review world.

Oh and of course, you could watch some arsehole chatter over game footage on youtube, but they always try to be funny and beg for people to subscribe to them. So the aim is for you to like them and give them views, not inform you about the product they are pretending to review.

believe it or not i was gifted with a brain and intelligence enough to know never take the reviews at face value
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »

But Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Polygon, even ****ing RPS, they have all been found out at times to be directly receiving money for higher review scores.

Do you have any evidence for this claim? ****ing RPS don't even give review scores!

Back to the original question, i tend to use RPS, PCgamesN, Eurogamer and RPGwatch the most.
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for replying. I'll give a few a try. I despise clickbait crap. Really hate that it has became a thing now. Hope that isn't entirely the way of the future.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly still use C&VG at least while its still active, but I believe that is covered in adverts.

This forum would benefit from one of those posters who take news stories from other sites and creates a thread for each story. A couple of threads like that each day would increase discussions and user activity.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I mostly still use C&VG at least while its still active, but I believe that is covered in adverts.

This forum would benefit from one of those posters who take news stories from other sites and creates a thread for each story. A couple of threads like that each day would increase discussions and user activity.

There used to be a couple of people like that, but they don't appear to come here anymore unless they lurk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I joined today, nearly didn't as my email wasn't syncing on my phone to get the activation email! Wish forums didn't have to do that but anyhoo!

I joined it to read about gaming stuff and what thread did I get into reading? "Home Buying" !!! lmao. It's like a soap opera lol. But in a good way. Everyone very friendly, just the ups and downs of actually buying a place!

Yep, I saw you mentioned at the bottom of the page as the newest member :)

Just need to post now ;)

Ha, yeah. While it's an Xbox-focussed site (especially the news/reviews), there is a lot of non-Xbox discussion, from other platforms to random non-gaming stuff.
    Forum Member
    Yep, I saw you mentioned at the bottom of the page as the newest member :)

Just need to post now ;)

Ha, yeah. While it's an Xbox-focussed site (especially the news/reviews), there is a lot of non-Xbox discussion, from other platforms to random non-gaming stuff.

Yeah so far it looks good and active
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also a Twitter feed for it, mostly used to auto-Tweet links to the front page news/reviews, plus a few of the guys do a podcast every fortnight (I think the next one would be up this Thursday).

The site has a review policy, where the origin of review copies is always stated (bought, PR code, etc.), etc. etc (kind of Polygon-esque, I suppose).